Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Goal for next year: Consistent offense from someone else besides Anigwe

I think Gottlieb has helped take Cal to new women's basketball heights but it's time to understand that more schools are putting emphasis on women's basketball so it's time for her to step up her coaching. Anigwe is a once-every-10-years type of player and she's got two years left, so it's up to Gottlieb to surround her with talent and to coach better to improve her players. I think she's far from being on the hot seat, but she's getting the reputation of being a good recruiter and good with her players in being a mentor but not so good with X's and O's. And these veteran coaches like Kim Mulkey will squash you if you aren't prepared. Gottlieb wasn't prepared for Baylor. The 'Throw it in to Anigwe" method doesn't work anymore. There has to be better ball movement and fewer turnovers.

Some of those turnovers are flat embarrassing and that is coaching. She has to either bench players who are careless with the ball or tell them not to take unnecessary chances. Cowling had 12 turnovers in the first-round game. That is damn near impossible to do in a 40 minute game. The rest of the Pac-12 is getting better and Cal has to made adjustments. Gottileb has done great for Cal's program but she has to step up her coaching --whether it's hiring new assistants, going to clinics, spending time with WNBA coaches -- and improve her offensive schemes. If not, we're going to be 19-13 every year.
    Last edited by gwashburn14; 03-22-2017 at 11:00 AM.

I don't know if we're doing a lot of analysis. I could imaging going over all of the game video and categorizing every made shot, every missed shot, every assist, every turnover, etc. to find out what our players can do and what they can't. Then either coach them up and/or scheme to put them in situations they can handle.

agree with others that we are a young team
    we finally have the chance to change that starting next year
    my question is will we improve our shooting?
    will we improve our passing? (I don't mean just to Kristine ... I mean less single minded and pass to others for assists)

We will have more depth, so with Coach use our athletes to fast break and take advantage of it?

a ton of promise ... a lot of questions
    but I enjoy this team and think it's got a bright future
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

So what is a better option than throwing the ball to Anigwe?

Asha Thomas can make threes if she's given room (only LSU (ask people there about the coaching) and a couple others did so) but she's not very tall and fairly easily contained since she's not that great going to the rim.

Mikayla Cowling is a complementary player who can score on occasion but isn't a consistent offensive threat.

Courtney Range was hampered all year by injury, and whoever the other starter was (Cayton or Davidson) could be easily defended one-on-one or with a zone because of their limited options.

You can talk all you want about Xs and Os but getting shots for players who can't make them won't help you win. (My last year at Bentley, against most teams we got all the shots we wanted but simply couldn't knock them down. Athenian invited us to take all the corner threes we wanted, which we did, but it doesn't help if they don't go in.) Other coaches are well aware of the limitations of Cal's players and game-plan accordingly.

So, thought one: Teach kids to shoot. A good plan but almost impossible at the college level. Shooters are made during their middle-school years, and it's very, very difficult to develop a shooter after that time. Brittany Boyd could have made several million more dollars (no exaggeration) if she had learned to shoot, and she's tried, but changing shot mechanics is very, very difficult for older players.

Thought two: Recruit shooters. LG has tried, but there aren't very many who can both shoot and hang with Power 5 players athletically. Just look at the SEC, which is full of athletes who can't shoot; and really, any P5 conference. Athleticism erases skills, thus an athlete can keep a pure shooter from scoring with size and quickness, but athleticism seldom comes with shooting skill.

Maybe Kianna Smith can step in and supply consistent offense from the perimeter, but that will be asking a lot of a freshman -- and no one else on the roster, except the undersized Thomas, appears to be able to do more than Anigwe double-teamed. And if Anigwe double-teamed is your best way to score (not necessarily a good way), then that's pretty much what you need to do.
    Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā

The Princeton motion doesn't require 3-point shooters. Wisconsin was running a multi screen offense that resulted in layups. The whole point of "team" offense is to provide open opportunities that don't require extraordinary shooting skills. Before the 3-point line, the goal was a 15 footer or less. Cal makes no attempt for anything other than the A option or a 3 pointer. Play off the ball is stagnant and therefore easy to guard and help on A.

Arizona State lost to their #1 seed, South Carolina, by 3 points (71-68)! Oregon was a 10th seed and shocked #2 seed, Duke, by 7 points. Pac 12 has five of the Sweet Sixteen teams still at the dance...Gottlieb almost made me laugh when she mentioned Cal winning the Pac 12 Conference. Has anyone researched my question as to whether the women's bball team has ever lost by forty points previously? I think not.
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 03-22-2017 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder71 View Post
    Has anyone researched my question as to whether the women's bball team has ever lost by forty points previously? I think not.
    I checked the archives before the 2005-2006 season and found on Jan 31, 1997 we lost at Stanford by a score of 95-44 and on Feb 3, 1996 we lost at Stanford by a score of 87-36. FWIW most of those seasons had one or more losses by 30+ points.
    Last edited by stu; 03-22-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Arizona State lost to their #1 seed, South Carolina, by 3 points (71-68)! Oregon was a 10th seed and shocked #2 seed, Duke, by 7 points. Pac 12 has five of the Sweet Sixteen teams still at the dance...Gottlieb almost made me laugh when she mentioned Cal winning the Pac 12 Conference. Has anyone researched my question as to whether the women's bball team has ever lost by forty points previously? I think not.
    Your point? Not good comparisons to Cal's game. Put ASU and Oregon up against Baylor and see what happens. South Carolina was missing a key starter (Coates) and another one went down (Gray) with a leg injury in the 4th quarter I believe. For that matter, Baylor is a much stronger #1 seed than South Carolina.

Britney unlikely to make "several millions more" even if she learned to shoot. Britney was not going to be one of the top three players in the world and thus, was going to make that kind of money. She certainly would have made more than she does now.

True Blue Golden Bear
    +1 Don't see the purpose of SR71 question..other than him trying to pile on even more!

I could continue making the argument that Gottlieb & Co don't have the magic that it takes to win in the Pac 12 Conference. Since most of you want to continue on into oblivion with her makes it clear to me that you will continue to rationalize her short comings. Que sera, sera.

I could continue making the argument that Gottlieb & Co don't have the magic that it takes to win in the Pac 12 Conference. Since most of you want to continue on into oblivion with her makes it clear to me that you will continue to rationalize her short comings. Que sera, sera.
    Says the man who has probably never attended a game in Berkeley since Lindsay Gottlieb became coach. Easier to sit at the computer and write negative posts. You're not an alum or season ticket-holder, why do you even care what happens with Cal sports and this one in particular?

Well, they HAVE won it once, so ...

It sounds to me like you are not even a fan. Your recent posts are just piling on more crap. Come to a game, donate money, and/or actually demonstrate that you are a supporter before you post more. There's no problem with criticism, but if you want to be a NegaBear, go back to football or men's basketball where you might find friends. We're tired of your continuous lack of anything constructively critical (unlike comments by Clay and others who are more negative than positive, not all of whom I agree with but who at least CARE in a positive way about this team--and actually know something about basketball other than reading a stat sheet or press release.) It seems like you WANT her not to succeed.

I don't LG is a lost cause, but the offensive schemes definitely need some improvement, or a scheme more than the 1. Sue Bird, while annoying, is correct that the 1-trick pony just doesn't work, and the other players play tentatively. As Clay points out, we do not currently have the players we once had, but more offensively could be done with this group. Cowling moves so well without the ball and is reliable when not having to play point or look for Kristine, CJ is a good passer in the high post when she gets playing time, Jaelyn can be aggressive and successful on the drive when the situation is right, and why not set up some screens to free Asha up from 3? She can obviously shoot--let's get her open more. Will it take a new assistant coach? And how will LG improve her player development?

But, that said, I still love this team and will continue to root for success!
    Last edited by BleacherBear; 03-22-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bearchamp View Post
    Britney unlikely to make "several millions more" even if she learned to shoot. Britney was not going to be one of the top three players in the world and thus, was going to make that kind of money. She certainly would have made more than she does now.
    OK, let's do the math.

First, WNBA success is directly correlated to overseas income. A player on an all-WNBA team is going to generate significantly more income overseas than a starter, and a starter more than a rotation player. Let's call that difference, conservatively, $50,000 a year. Note also that a max salary in the WNBA is $100,000, about $20,000 more than a starter and $30,000 for a rotation player.

Brittney Boyd has absolutely everything necessary to be a premier WNBA starting point guard, and conceivably even an all-star, except any kind of outside game. (It also kept her from making any USA Basketball teams, which also would have added to her value.)

If she were a starter instead of a rotation player, she would make about $70,000 more per year, and over a 10-year career, that's worth $700,000. Bump the annual difference to $75,000, which is probably more accurate, and it's $950,000.

But if Boyd were a star, or borderline star, she would have made at least $180,000 more per year, which is $1.8 million over a ten-year career. Again, that's conservative, so "millions" is not inaccurate. And more than just the top three players make significant money. WNBA starters can make $400,000 or $500,000 in China, plus their WNBA salary, and obviously that can add up quickly.

Compared to the NBA, of course, it's not much, but a 15-year professional career for an elite player (top ten in the world for a few years, say) will generate close to $5 million -- which is a lot more money than I will make in my lifetime.
    Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā

True Blue Golden Bear
    Has anyone researched my question as to whether the women's bball team has ever lost by forty points previously? I think not.
    In this case it is not about the criticism ..it's about your piling on. Who care if they have loss by more. I'm sure with all the time you write up your comments on WBB or SB, you have the time and capability to research this yourself. Why try to drag others in to do your dirty work? GO Bears!!