Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Wj's roster shake-up plus or minus.

Win factor points: I'm going to arbitrarily assign a small amount of points to each player on the roster. An all-american type player
    would garner 15-20 points. All pac-12 10-15. A solid starter between 5-10. Incoming recruits who haven't contributed yet let's say one point for each star. Let's rate the coaches too: a coach k gets 20 pts and work your way downward. I think using this criteria you need around 90 points to win a pac-12 title and 75 or so to finish top 4 pac-12 and get in the dance. I'm assigning Marcus Lee 8 points.

I came up with 40 points for roster, inc. Incoming frosh. WJ gets 5 plus another 3 for the staff. Total is 48 as of now.
    Last edited by ccajon; 06-17-2017 at 04:33 PM.

Real Bear
    East of Tomales Bay; west of Eagle Lake; south of Sauvie Island; north of Pismo Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by ccajon View Post
    Win factor points: I'm going to arbitrarily assign a small amount of points to each player on the roster. An all-american type player
    would garner 15-20 points. All pac-12 10-15. A solid starter between 5-10. Incoming recruits who haven't contributed yet let's say one point for each star. Let's rate the coaches too: a coach k gets 20 pts and work your way downward. I think using this criteria you need around 90 points to win a pac-12 title and 75 or so to finish top 4 pac-12 and get in the dance. I'm assigning Marcus Lee 8 points.
    What about walk-ons and 'shirts? Grad transfers? Example--uO picked up a grad transfer SF who was 2nd team all conference.
    Last edited by joe yaks; 06-17-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joe yaks View Post
    What about walk-ons and 'shirts? Grad transfers? Example--uO picked up a grad transfer SF who was 2nd team all conference.
    Redshirts no points. Walk ons 1-5 pts.

Real Bear
    I like the system. Can you break it down in chart form? Maybe do another team? USC's # has to be around 90.

Quote Originally Posted by parentswerebears View Post
    I like the system. Can you break it down in chart form? Maybe do another team? USC's # has to be around 90.
    I thought you blocked my posts. Maybe you meant another poster. To answer your question yes. Probably not in chart form though.

Quote Originally Posted by ccajon View Post

I came up with 40 points for roster, inc. Incoming frosh. WJ gets 5 plus another 3 for the staff. Total is 48 as of now.
    Please list predicted top ten players in PAC10/12.
    You don't see lee at that level?
    I think you may be surprised. Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    He didn't like looking over his shoulder and wanted to be closer to family, even if he's not in Chicago's backyard at Kansas. Plus he significantly upgraded programs.
    Thx for the reply, Mat.

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    Please list predicted top ten players in PAC10/12.
    You don't see lee at that level?
    I think you may be surprised. Hope.
    Before looking at the incoming freshmen / grad transfers, here are the top returners in the Pac12 (averaged 10+ppg last year):

Rawle Alkins, UA
    Dusan Ristic, UA
    Allonzo Trier, UA
    Shannon Evans II, ASU
    Tra Holder, ASU
    George King, CU
    Drew Eubanks, OSU
    Jaquori McLaughlin, OSU
    Tres Tinkle, OSU
    Stephen Thompson Jr, OSU
    Dorian Pickens, Stan
    Reid Travis, Stan
    Aaron Holiday, UCLA
    Thomas Welsh, UCLA
    Bennie Boatwright, USC
    Jordan McLaughlin, USC
    Chimezie Metu, USC
    Elijah Stewart, USC
    David Collette, Utah
    David Crisp, UW
    Matisse Thybulle, UW
    Malachi Flynn, WSU

And there are some pretty good newcomers coming in as well.

I think Marcus will be very good, and I think he'll have a shot to be in the top group, because I think he's going to get a lot of opportunities in Cal's offense. Really hard to look at his production at Kentucky (where he was clearly not a top scoring option), and project what he'll do at Cal. I'm very much looking forward to finding out how he fits among the top players in the league.
    Last edited by LOUMFSG2; 06-19-2017 at 07:13 AM.

Not sure the point system makes too much sense--at least in one regard. If you assign points to incoming frosh based on stars, you are saying that a Lonzo Ball or Jaylen Brown or Ivan Rabb are worth only 5 points. Huh?

What this program needs is a deep tournament run, Sweet 16 or better. A properly integrated one-and-done like Brown could assist with that, giving a needed credibility shot for recruiting going forward. Martin probably would have accomplished that were it not for the tournament-week injuries to Wallace and Bird. I see Jones getting us in a talent position to do that. Brown could be the difference-maker.

- Moore, good point guard, probably gone anyway
    - Rooks, decent center, only 1 year remaining, possibly gone anyway
    - Baker, 4-star FR
    - Knell, 3-star FR, we'll do better in 2019
    - Saar, French FR, who knows if he was ever ours to lose?

+ Harris-Dyson, 4-star FR, stayed
    + Sueing, 4-star FR, stayed
    + Anticevich, Australian FR, stayed
    + McNeill, 3/4-star FR, new
    + Winston, 3-star FR, new
    + McCollough, 2/3-star FR, new

Altogether I'd say an impressive performance following an unexpected coaching change.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    - Baker, 4-star FR

Altogether I'd say an impressive performance following an unexpected coaching change.
    Yes!

- Baker, 4-star FR

I think you've committed grade inflation on some of those star ratings. Where are you getting that?

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    I think you've committed grade inflation on some of those star ratings. Where are you getting that?
    Mostly from VerbalCommits, though they don't show McNeill's 4-star rating from ESPN. I didn't find any stars on McCollough so I guessed.

- Baker, 4-star FR

I'd say Walker's quick pull of two Texans is impressive and Jones getting Bradley is very impressive. But in terms of the 2017 roster, it depends on how much of a chance Jones really had to keep Moore and Baker. Still encouraged by Bradley, Gordon, and Mcneill and establishing early results and momentum with the 2018 class.