Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Data on football renewals and donations

Data on football renewals and donations

May have alteady been posted. But these are final numbers. They did not appear to change when Wilcox wsd hiref. Reported by a site which will not be named.

Cal football season ticket renewals dropped 33.2%, donations 23.7% in 2016-17

I expect something similar ok basketball. Maybe worse.

Quote Originally Posted by socaliganbear View Post
    I expect something similar ok basketball. Maybe worse.
    screw the ato, can buy most tickets for the price of a beer from the dudes hustling on frat row

Sure. But I highly doubt that's what season ticket renewals are down.

SoCal, it is a combo of things, including: team performance, hassle issues (when will Cal ever understand traffic and parking control matters, especially for your large donors?), night games, relatively high prices relative to team performance, game day (night) experience, limited places to tailgate, etc. I will say that the U-club, and other clubs to a lesser degree, have upped their game.

Having been to every other Pac venue other than Oregon and Oregon State, I can say that Cal has the worst traffic control and parking by far, and people don't want to shell out big bucks for inconvenience and wasted time to see a team that doesn't go to post-season bowls. Also, tailgating has become part of the game experience and alum bonding and Cal is worse in that as well. I didn't matter that much when the team was competing for Rose Bowls in the JT era, but it matters now.

Edit: from a timing standpoint, I think the fan base was hoping Sonny and his staff might be the guys to make Cal compete for Rose Bowls and was willing to put up with the other factors (other than maybe night games which were not well attended), and when it was clear there would never be a competitive defense, they gave-up, given the other factors
    Last edited by wifeisafurd; 04-02-2017 at 10:55 AM.

I park in the Stadium lot. One game I had to go to a birthday party so had to approach Memorial from the South. They would not let me drive the quickest way which was the road in front if the stadium. Told to drive down to shattuck and up Hearst. Missed the first quarter. Not happy that day.

They build the lot but refuse easy access. Plain stupid.

I would be interested to see if there is any correlation between distance from the Bay Area and the results they obtained. The dynamics are different for those of us who travel. Just for the sake of debate, I did renew again this year, but I waited until the final minutes to do so. I really was torn about spending the money and time associated with coming up from L.A. I opted to renew because I really want to milk the ability to visit campus and traditions for as long as I can. Believe it or not, team performance was the last factor for me, as I've gone to Cal games for decades and seen some really bad teams. Game day experience was the primary reason I almost didn't renew. I've shared my frustration at the canned music, silencing of the band, and idiotic 3 year old "bear growl" promotions for the last few years. And believe it or not, traffic/parking wasn't high on my list as I've learned to navigate the timing and traffic patterns from my East Bay hotel to the point it's a smooth trip. But again, coupled with the awful game day experience, the planning associated with travel from L.A. is really challenging when you don't know kickoff times until the last minute. So game day experience and kickoff times were the things which, again, almost caused me to not renew. I don't think the Raider departure will have an effect on season tickets, but I do think walkup ticket sales should increase minimally.

Retired. Was not going to renew and pay donation due to all above. My son talked me into renewing. One if the few times I see him. We have one of the higest donation requirements and they are still not happy. My friend who lives in Austin, let his esp seats, basketball seat and donation go. Sent them a letter explaining why. No response so far. Fir him, it is understandable. Cant make travel plans early enough to get affordable air fare or hotels. Sad.

Stub Hub seemed like a much cheaper option. For many, it was probably a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by TomBear View Post
    I would be interested to see if there is any correlation between distance from the Bay Area and the results they obtained. The dynamics are different for those of us who travel. Just for the sake of debate, I did renew again this year, but I waited until the final minutes to do so. I really was torn about spending the money and time associated with coming up from L.A. I opted to renew because I really want to milk the ability to visit campus and traditions for as long as I can. Believe it or not, team performance was the last factor for me, as I've gone to Cal games for decades and seen some really bad teams. Game day experience was the primary reason I almost didn't renew. I've shared my frustration at the canned music, silencing of the band, and idiotic 3 year old "bear growl" promotions for the last few years. And believe it or not, traffic/parking wasn't high on my list as I've learned to navigate the timing and traffic patterns from my East Bay hotel to the point it's a smooth trip. But again, coupled with the awful game day experience, the planning associated with travel from L.A. is really challenging when you don't know kickoff times until the last minute. So game day experience and kickoff times were the things which, again, almost caused me to not renew. I don't think the Raider departure will have an effect on season tickets, but I do think walkup ticket sales should increase minimally.
    Very perceptive Tom. for those of us traveling, the game is an all day affair if we plan advance, and we get in before traffic or take BART from the airport, and it is social all day thing, since we can't plan for a specific time. Or we are staying over night on a minin-vaaction in some part of the Bay Area (like the City). Otherwise, it is a matter of missing some games, and do I enjoy the game day experiment that much to only see a few games?

If I lived in the Bay Area, it is a totally different analysis, with non-retiree concerns about kid conflicts, baby sitters, family conflicts and the like, and I really do care about the game day hassles and game time hours because I could just as well be at a game party with my with my fellow alums watching on the local Pac network (or whoever is broadcasting) , and not dealing with all the hassles.
    Last edited by wifeisafurd; 04-02-2017 at 11:25 AM.

night games seem to really annoy fans. Me included.
    and I don't even have to park. I live about a mile away and walk.

An old lady/me/ walking home alone at those late hours.,..does not seem like the smartest thing to do.

One time last fall I snagged one of the guys driving a golf cart and offered to pay him to zip me several blocks. He smiled and took me all the way home.
    I'll try and see if I can do THAT again this fall.

I continue to renew but consider it a contribution. I rarely attend night games.

I think the fan base being very old contributes to the non renewals. The late games have caused many to end their donations and renewals.

Quote Originally Posted by oskidunker View Post
    I think the fan base being very old contributes to the non renewals. The late games have caused many to end their donations and renewals.
    Which brings out the next question (without trying to hijack the thread): what to do to draw younger fans?

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    Which brings out the next question (without trying to hijack the thread): what to do to draw younger fans?
    Win

Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    Win
    I'm not sure it is that simple. Various sports are going through major reductions in participation and fan base: golf, skiing, tennis, etc. and a lot of that involves time commitments and pricing. Americans are winning at these sports. I'm closer to the elements around the decline in golf, but it is not simply winning. Football attendance is down, and if you take out the SEC, it is very down.