Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 265

Thread: OT: United Passengers dragged out of plane due to over bookings!

  1. #1
    True Blue Golden Bear
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    El Cerrito
    Posts
    9,558

    OT: United Passengers dragged out of plane due to over bookings!

    Why the heck would United do this, especially since the seats would be given up for other United employees and they were the ones that overbooked. Put those employees on a competitor airline. Totally bad publicity for this airline. I can see lawsuits soon. Sorry if this is a booth.

    https://www.yahoo.com/news/united-pa...134930951.html

  2. #2
    True Blue Golden Bear okaydo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bearilinga, CA
    Posts
    22,278
    At first, I thought this was something that we could all agree on.

    I saw liberals and conservatives equally outraged on Twitter.

    But then, there were people who were like, "no, both sides behaved badly."

    And: "You must obey the authorities no matter what."

    I'm assuming people on this thread will be criticizing the doctor and defending the cops, as well.

    At least United is getting some good publicity out of this.


  3. #3

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by okaydo View Post
    At first, I thought this was something that we could all agree on.

    I saw liberals and conservatives equally outraged on Twitter.

    But then, there were people who were like, "no, both sides behaved badly."

    And: "You must obey the authorities no matter what."

    I'm assuming people on this thread will be criticizing the doctor and defending the cops, as well.

    At least United is getting some good publicity out of this.
    I will say this, and let's please keep politics out of this. United Airlines were idiots. Since they overbooked, they should have kept increasing the compensation in an auction like fashion until they found the necessary volunteers who would leave the plane with a smile on their face. The amount of money they would have spent getting both sides happy would be nothing compared to the PR disaster they have inherited and the cost they will incur to try to fix what is a long-term damage. As a business without the benefit of a monopoly, don't over-regulate when you are dealing with customers or refer to some boilerplate fine print. Bad businesses should suffer, and poor managers should be punished with poor stock performance.

  5. #5
    True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Island of Manhattan
    Posts
    24,802
    United is the absolute worst. I bought international tickets last year and was accidentally charged twice. Once on my credit card that I meant to use and again, without my permission, on the one they had on file to hold the booking. After countless hours on the phone, they finally reversed the charge. However, they credited the wrong credit card. After many more hours, they claimed that the only way to correct the error was to rebook the flight. Unfortunately, they would not honor the price at booking and the cost of the tickets went up 50%. I kept the tickets as is. After offering me an upgrade on one leg of the flight, they would not do both, I vowed to avoid them at all costs in the future. Their customer service is legendarily poor. They honestly just do not care about the customer.

  6. #6
    Comp the guy for a bag of tasty snacks.

  7. #7
    Why did they let passengers board if they knew they were overbooked? THat's just stupid.

  8. #8

    hopefully there is another side to this ....

    I'm no United apologist - I do know people that work there, and have over a million flight miles with them. I stopped flying with them as much after the merger with Continental. But don't forget that the power of the flight crew is absolute. They certainly, though, should have offered compensation in the form of flight vouchers, meals, hotel - and I would be surprised if they didn't. Also, I don't think forcing revenue passengers off the plane to put in-transit crew on is correct; I don't think that's policy. The injuries/treatment/forced removal, though, is all on the safety officers, whether it's city PD or airport/Homeland security or whoever. United, though, gets the black eye.

  9. #9
    He's going to get a lot of money.

  10. #10
    True Blue Golden Bear okaydo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bearilinga, CA
    Posts
    22,278
    Quote Originally Posted by OldenBear View Post
    I'm no United apologist - I do know people that work there, and have over a million flight miles with them. I stopped flying with them as much after the merger with Continental. But don't forget that the power of the flight crew is absolute. They certainly, though, should have offered compensation in the form of flight vouchers, meals, hotel - and I would be surprised if they didn't. Also, I don't think forcing revenue passengers off the plane to put in-transit crew on is correct; I don't think that's policy. The injuries/treatment/forced removal, though, is all on the safety officers, whether it's city PD or airport/Homeland security or whoever. United, though, gets the black eye.
    Here's one of the most comprehensive acounts.
    http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2017/04/10/video-shows-man-forcibly-removed-united-flight-chicago-louisville/100274374/




    Last edited by okaydo; 04-10-2017 at 10:26 AM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by gobears725 View Post
    He's going to get a lot of money.
    But from whom?

    If those were Chicago PD officers, I wouldn't expect United to be responsible for their actions. Private security? United in big trouble. (None of this excuses united from being stupid with their boarding/overbooking routine.)

    An aside, messing with Chicago PD is a very bad idea. Guessing their best are not assigned to the airport.

  12. #12
    True Blue Golden Bear okaydo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bearilinga, CA
    Posts
    22,278






    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoBear1 View Post
    But from whom?

    If those were Chicago PD officers, I wouldn't expect United to be responsible for their actions. Private security? United in big trouble. (None of this excuses united from being stupid with their boarding/overbooking routine.)

    An aside, messing with Chicago PD is a very bad idea. Guessing their best are not assigned to the airport.
    If your United, and this guy sues, are you going to go to trial and keep this incident in the headlines for years?

    Or are you going to make the guy happy and just put it behind you and move on to more pressing issues....?




    Last edited by okaydo; 04-10-2017 at 10:37 AM.

  13. #13
    Worst case scenario: He ends up on the no fly list. What United did was 100% wrong - but on a plane, the Captain has absolute authority. If he/she tells you to deplane, that's what you have to do.

  14. #14
    I have over a million actual miles on United and have been flying with them since people puffed happily on their cigarerettes throughout 11 hour flights and long before there were such things as frequent flyer programs. When I first flew wth them the planes were regularly half empty or more. I remember taking one notable trip on a 767 to New York from San Francisco where I was one of three passengers on the plane (we got lots of attention).

    Starting 20 years or so ago United (and the other airlines) figured they were wasting lots of money by flying with empty seats. Since their costs were almost entirely fixed any revenue they could get for a ticket would improve the bottom line. They started using computer programs to overbook flights and then "dealing" with the consequences (usually through paying people to get off the flight) if too many folks showed up.

    Voila. No more empty seats on planes - ever. I actually can't recall the last time I got on a United flight that was not 100% full. Every crappy middle seat, every non- reclining seat stuck next to the bathroom 100% full 100% of the time. Good for the bottom line yes. Good for customers no.

    The issue is that United has now taken their revenue enhancing model of occupying seats as a God given right. They WON'T fly planes with empty seats. They'll just cancel the flight and rebook everyone on the next flight. So what if that's a huge inconvenience to their customers? It squeezes out more revenue and that is what matters.

    Bottom line, this incident is the logical culmination of this mindset. Jack booted thugs dragging paying customers off of planes. I'm beyond disgusted. I'm done with United. I'll take my business elsewhere.

  15. #15
    The statement is kind of hilarious - "when he fell", as if being forcibly moved had nothing to do with it.

    I had an experience recently with being bumped from a United flight for employee transit. I was at the gate when I was told I couldn't board. They gave me a check for $1,350 since it was involuntary and found me a flight for later in the day so I was pretty happy with the whole experience. Other experiences may vary.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •