Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bears transferring to other schools...

Bears transferring to other schools...

Why did Moore and Cochrane leave? Were they fed up with Cal's program?

Actually they were weren't fed up with the program. They were fed up with the university and Cal's loser fans.

True Blue Golden Bear heartofthebear's Avatar
    Ben Lomond, a small town outside of Santa Cruz in the mountains
    Folks assume that a player entering their 5th year at Cal can stay at Cal if they still have sports eligibility.
    That is not true.
    I don't know what the circumstances of these 2 players are except that Moore was nowhere near his 5th year having just got here last season.
    But Cochran would be entering his 5th year in the fall of this year.
    If he graduates this spring, he would have to be accepted to a graduate program at Cal to stick around.

Many times players opt to pursue their graduate careers elsewhere because it is a better match for them academically.
    IOWs any redshirt junior should not be counted on to be part of the depth chart for their 5th year at Cal.

I thought for a second that this was about Steven Moore, not Charlie. I got very confused.

Anyways, yes, transfers happen almost all the time, even from national championship programs. They want to showcase their skills somewhere or they just don't fit with the university or coaching staff. The problem is that our long-term depth planning hasn't been too great which magnifies the transfer issue.

Moore has a very sick father and so the public story is that he's transferring to go back to be closer to home

Cochran is probably a combo of multiple issues
    3-9 and a 95% graduation rate trump a Rose Bowl

You need a minimum 3.0 GPA to qualify for any Cal grad school, and even then you have to get accepted. There are not many masters programs at Cal, and further, those that exist, tend to be competitive (Haas, Boalt). So assuming the player has better than a 3.0, programs like public health have to be consistent with your objectives, or you run the risk of someone going to say Notre Dame business school to get their MBA (thinking of Sebastian) because Haas MBA is just so hard to get accepted to.

This is what happens when you start recruiting smart guys who matriculate and graduate on time. Cal can't have it both ways. Even Furd, who has some creative interdisciplinary masters programs for athletes to stay (and with an average 3.75 GPA, most Furd athletes have a good GPA) has a lot of grad transfers leave. Also, your qualified students have to want to stay. That means they like their experience at Cal. The new football coaching staff is cognizant of that.

Moore has noting to do with any of this, but a grad like Cochran does.

Where is it written that you have to graduate before the 5th year? Can't a player schedule a class or 2 for the fall and play the 5th year as an undergrad?
    Access is better than ownership!

Helmet

Great answer and explanation

Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    You need a minimum 3.0 GPA to qualify for any Cal grad school, and even then you have to get accepted. There are not many masters programs at Cal, and further, those that exist, tend to be competitive (Haas, Boalt). So assuming the player has better than a 3.0, programs like public health have to be consistent with your objectives, or you run the risk of someone going to say Notre Dame business school to get their MBA (thinking of Sebastian) because Haas MBA is just so hard to get accepted to.

This is what happens when you start recruiting smart guys who matriculate and graduate on time. Cal can't have it both ways. Even Furd, who has some creative interdisciplinary masters programs for athletes to stay (and with an average 3.75 GPA, most Furd athletes have a good GPA) has a lot of grad transfers leave. Also, your qualified students have to want to stay. That means they like their experience at Cal. The new football coaching staff is cognizant of that.

Moore has noting to do with any of this, but a grad like Cochran does.

Quote Originally Posted by heartofthebear View Post
    Folks assume that a player entering their 5th year at Cal can stay at Cal if they still have sports eligibility.
    That is not true.
    I don't know what the circumstances of these 2 players are except that Moore was nowhere near his 5th year having just got here last season.
    But Cochran would be entering his 5th year in the fall of this year.
    If he graduates this spring, he would have to be accepted to a graduate program at Cal to stick around.

Many times players opt to pursue their graduate careers elsewhere because it is a better match for them academically.
    IOWs any redshirt junior should not be counted on to be part of the depth chart for their 5th year at Cal.
    A student can easily stretch out their undergrad to 5 years. I know many people that did. I did an extra semester myself.

The redshirt juniors leave because they get an opportunity at a free masters or an opportunity to experience another campus/program without any consequence.

Was Pagano fed up with all the winning at Clemson?

Quote Originally Posted by 59bear View Post
    Where is it written that you have to graduate before the 5th year? Can't a player schedule a class or 2 for the fall and play the 5th year as an undergrad?
    Student athletes often go to summer school. Some come in with AP credits. They have to be planning their progress semesters in advance to target the graduation time they want. As I'm sure you know, there is a maximum number of units, plus, I'm pretty sure a student athlete needs to be a full-time student during the semesters when they're playing.

I'm guessing the legit student-athlete that redshirts their 1st year probably times it so they have the "grad transfer option", if they want to take advantage of it. Same with the ones who can graduate in under 4 yrs.

There's also a minimum number of units they can take
    3-9 and a 95% graduation rate trump a Rose Bowl

Yes, they can have a 4 1/2 year plan averaging around 13 units/term. That would actually be a more sensible academic plan that the 4yr, full academic load with a football scholarship. As well, they could do a double major.

Even for those who do manage to get admitted to a graduate program at Cal, the shear volume of work would make it very hard to succeed academically while playing college football.

I seem to recall that Matt Leinert took only a class or 2 his last semester at USC but I admit I don't know for sure. The grad transfer rule is an abomination that I'd love to see eliminated. I'd also like to see how many of these guys actually earn an advanced degree after taking advantage of the rule. I'll bet it's a very low percentage.
    Access is better than ownership!