Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your 2017 Cal Breakout Players

It took me 1 day before I finally opened this thread. It just seemed so strange being a football post in a OT forum.

Quote Originally Posted by dajo9 View Post
    Yes, I just meant if he qualifies by CalHoops standard as a breakout player. Did not mean to imply anything more ominous.

......everyone here being Cal fans, we immediately assumed the worst! Dark clouds always seem to find us.

Quote Originally Posted by GivemTheAxe View Post
    For one year. Then we still have no QB with experience the following year.
    Plus there is the question why Webb was not the starter at A&M. What deficiencies had the HC seen. In our case those deficiencies became painfully obvious-- a tendency to throw INTs when under pressure.

Sonny's gamble failed to pay off with a 5-7 season.

And we still are left with no QB who has experience.
    Honestly, do you follow the game? He had a great year. Unless he was playing defense, it wasn't on him. He's being thought of as a top two round pick. So is the guy Mahomes who took over in Texas after Webb was injured.

Here's the deal- If you have a chance to get an impact guy to start at the most important position on the field, yo do it! You don think twice. Our D sucked and thank god we got Webb or it would have been a 1-2 win year. Oh btw, he was named captain by his teammates immediately. Says a great deal.

True Blue Golden Bear heartofthebear's Avatar
    Ben Lomond, a small town outside of Santa Cruz in the mountains
    I'm thinking our kick off coverage unit might be a breakout unit this season.
    I know that's cheating but it'll be interesting to see if that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Big C_Cal View Post
    Maybe now that can be said in hindsight, but the nature of college football (only 12 regular-season games) is that you pretty much HAVE TO play for the present: Even a 1-2 game difference can really count when you're trying to sell a "winning program" to recruits. For example, if we had won one more game last season, Sonny might still be here. Okay, all and all, I think this is going to be for the best, but this is just an example of how 1-2 extra wins can change the whole deal.

Another example for this coming season: Wilcox can't be coaching for 2019. Everything he does these next 20 mos. will be huge to determine his program's future. He needs to be able to walk into some kid's living room and have some credibility when he says he's turning things around.

Agree in part-wins do matter (especially when your looking for a job in Texas). .Sonny's system only worked with superior QB play. Baldwin's will not. I see us dinking dunking and running down the field with our "multiple" offens/Beau Ball. Ultimately, we'll be fine at QB this year.

I actually really like Team Captain Davis Webb who gave us many exciting moments. He gave it his all and showed real leadership.

Curhan definitively. Bowers IMO wins QB. Derron Brown. Rambo big time. Wharton breaks out at WR. Weaver is an easy choice also if he qualifies.

Alex Funchess will dominate the edge this year. Devante Downs will be all conference too.

Alex Funchess will be a force. I can also see Devante Downs as all conference. Tartabull will make several big plays over the course of the year. Wharton will have huge breakout in the return game punt and kickoff this year

After viewing practice:

Zeandae Johnson is #1 on my list. Future NFLer to my eye. Dominating the Spring
    Funches is a close #2, looks like the real deal in space (coverage and closing the corner against the run).
    Curhan will have every chance as an almost certain starter at tackle
    Ashton at TE popped to my eye

Tre Watson might get 1500 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by CalHoopFan View Post
    After viewing practice:

Zeandae Johnson is #1 on my list. Future NFLer to my eye. Dominating the Spring
    Funches is a close #2, looks like the real deal in space (coverage and closing the corner against the run).
    Curhan will have every chance as an almost certain starter at tackle
    Ashton at TE popped to my eye
    Nice to hear the comments on Johnson, I know the coaches had high hopes for him. Thinking the defense will be much improved this year as we have some talent and am optimistic about our coaches - perhaps a top 5 or 6 defensive ranking in the PAC 12? I'm thinking Stovall on the offensive side may have a breakout year.

Quote Originally Posted by XXXBEAR View Post
    Agree in part-wins do matter (especially when your looking for a job in Texas). .Sonny's system only worked with superior QB play. Baldwin's will not. I see us dinking dunking and running down the field with our "multiple" offens/Beau Ball. Ultimately, we'll be fine at QB this year.

I actually really like Team Captain Davis Webb who gave us many exciting moments. He gave it his all and showed real leadership.
    I agree with going with the best who no doubt was Webb. I think Sonny could have played the backups more during the course of the season though.

My pick...Jordan Veasy. 6-3 225 with speed and hands. I thought he was one of our best route runners last year. Made a few big plays, but was buried under our wealth of receivers. I think were going to see some of these larger receivers get more time as the run game becomes more important.