Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your 2017 Cal Breakout Players

Quote Originally Posted by CalHoopFan View Post
    You like our QB to make a positive impact? I'm down with that optimism.
    I am optimistic. Sonny should not have opted for Webb. Of course a 5th year senior is probably better than a redshirt freshman who has not played a game. But I liked several of Cal's redshirt or true freshmen QB's. Better to go with the

Plus with an improved OL and returning experienced receivers IMO the QB can shine. And if he doesn't there are competent backups to take his position.
    Last edited by GivemTheAxe; 04-19-2017 at 08:14 AM.

Kunaczyk, if he qualifies

Quote Originally Posted by GivemTheAxe View Post
    I am optimistic. Sonny should not have opted for Webb. Of course a 5th year senior is probably better than a redshirt freshman who has not played a game. But I liked several of Cal's redshirt or true freshmen QB's.

Plus with an improved OL and returning experienced receivers IMO the QB can shine. And if he doesn't there are competent backups to take his position.
    Of course he should have. It gave them the best chance to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Ncsf View Post
    Of course he should have. It gave them the best chance to win.
    For one year. Then we still have no QB with experience the following year.
    Plus there is the question why Webb was not the starter at A&M. What deficiencies had the HC seen. In our case those deficiencies became painfully obvious-- a tendency to throw INTs when under pressure.

Sonny's gamble failed to pay off with a 5-7 season.

And we still are left with no QB who has experience.

Quote Originally Posted by CalHoopFan View Post
    Definition: A Cal player who has not played much (fewer than 3 starts/15% of the snaps) in their career that you believe will see a lot more snaps AND make a positive impact.

Who you got in 2017?
    Where did you get this "official" definition? Mine would be "any player that elevated their play enough so that people sat up and took notice", or "any player that was a lot more highly regarded in December than they were in August (or April)".

By this definition, we could see a number of defensive players break out. Anybody besides Looney or Allensworth who has a good year. I'd say Marloshawn Franklin. We're all aware of Devante Downs, but I think he may take a giant leap forward towards all-conference level.

On offense, maybe Enwere or any WR besides DR who has a good year (not sure who that's gonna be).

Plus there is the question why Webb was not the starter at A&M.
    You mean Texas Tech?

Quote Originally Posted by 85Bear View Post
    You mean Texas Tech?
    Oops. Yes.

True Blue Golden Bear going4roses's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dajo9 View Post
    Kunaczyk, if he qualifies
    ? Explain

Plus there is the question why Webb was not the starter at A&M. What deficiencies had the HC seen. In our case those deficiencies became painfully obvious-- a tendency to throw INTs when under pressure.

Maybe now that can be said in hindsight, but the nature of college football (only 12 regular-season games) is that you pretty much HAVE TO play for the present: Even a 1-2 game difference can really count when you're trying to sell a "winning program" to recruits. For example, if we had won one more game last season, Sonny might still be here. Okay, all and all, I think this is going to be for the best, but this is just an example of how 1-2 extra wins can change the whole deal.

Another example for this coming season: Wilcox can't be coaching for 2019. Everything he does these next 20 mos. will be huge to determine his program's future. He needs to be able to walk into some kid's living room and have some credibility when he says he's turning things around.

In that case, you would never play your senior QB, whether home grown or a transfer. I don't have a problem with choosing Webb. I have a problem with not giving any of the young QBs real game experience when games were out of hand.

He's now predicted to go first or second round. The only three qbs predicted ahead of him are the qb at UNC, Clemson, and his competition at TT.

Quote Originally Posted by going4roses View Post
    ? Explain
    Did he mean "qualify" as in he played so much last year he would not constitute a breakout player???

Quote Originally Posted by 89Bear View Post
    Did he mean "qualify" as in he played so much last year he would not constitute a breakout player???
    Thx 89 we will need him

Quote Originally Posted by 89Bear View Post
    Yes, I just meant if he qualifies by CalHoops standard as a breakout player. Did not mean to imply anything more ominous.

Gotcha I'm a fatalist