Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Free speech can and must be protected

Free speech can and must be protected

The Milo riots were caused by about 100 so-called Black Bloc protesters. The Black Bloc (ironically almost all white people) is an anarchist hate group. They are coming to Cal on April 27 to riot. The University knows this and needs to prepare to stop the violence and arrest violent law breakers. There are 11 UC police departments. Cancel all leave and bring in police from the 10 other campus departments. The Milo riot was such a success (no arrests, lots of violence, speech canceled) that more violence and more anarchists can be expected on Thursday. But even if the anarchists double their numbers, the UC police can prevent widespread violence and allow the speech to proceed. There should be at least 400 officers ready to do what is necessary. The anarchists will be wearing black and wearing helmets, masks etc. They aren't that hard to spot. Set up a perimeter, check IDs and keep out the would be rioters.

I agree that the police presence should be strong enough to keep the peace. You are wrong if you think the black bloc will be the only ones there looking for violence.

Quote Originally Posted by dajo9 View Post
    I agree that the police presence should be strong enough to keep the peace. You are wrong if you think the black bloc will be the only ones there looking for violence.
    Free speech is only free when everyone can speak. I was at Cal during the anti apartheid protests. I'm pretty damn left. Got in a fight with a Berkeley resident who was po'd at the ROTC table and favored a recent attack on the table. After fighting with him and others like minded, I left

Nothing is different today. Legitimate free speech gets hijacked. It isn't good for anyone. The kids on the left get blamed and the kids on the right are deprived their rights. Berkeley needs to grow a pair and stand up for what it says it stands for.

Anarchists are getting a bad name which is regrettable

This is a no brainer. Arrest and detain anyone looking for violence. Have dozens of cameras for evidence gathering. Freaking teenagers on 4chan are doing more to stop violence than the UCPD currently. To be fair to the police, I think their hands are tied by UC administrators and the local politburo.

If you think Cal wants to see riots on tv and property destruction and is dictating to ucpd what to do, you're insane.

Quote Originally Posted by socaliganbear View Post
    If you think Cal wants to see riots on tv and property destruction and is dictating to ucpd what to do, you're insane.
    For those who forget, here is a literal Afghani refugee who was maced by antifa at the Milo event: https://twitter.com/janeygak/status/854010845692444672 Several other people were also maced and beaten with flag poles. No one was arrested. The police were right there watching it all happen and did nothing. That is how we ended up here.

Let her speak but not in my house if there's going to be a riot on my front porch.

Someone tell the people who were arrested that their arrests are actually fake news. That'll get them off.

We need to hire fake police to keep up with appearances.

The anarchists will be wearing red and white, and one will be dressed as a tree....

Agree with the OP. I love Cal but in case anyone is feeling proud bc of tbese campus "protests" Free Speech doesnt need a lick of Cals support to thrive. Personally i dont know why the ACs of the world would want to set foot on campus if only to prove their points. And right or wrong they have. It would be more sensible for the campus to show indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by XXXBEAR View Post
    The anarchists will be wearing red and white, and one will be dressed as a tree....
    yessssssssss

This is a really interesting video. Watch the whole thing. I am not sure all of its conclusions are correct, but it is utterly convincing on a few counts.

The Trump Nationalists were without a doubt assaulted by Police munitions: police smoke grenades and police flash grenades. Antifa probably threw firecrackers, yes, but this convincingly proves police smoke and flash grenades were thrown at innocent, peaceful demonstrators. Now, I am not nearly as sure as this guy that it was done by Agent Provocateurs, but munitions only law enforcement can legally buy were clearly used against the Trump Nationalists (very few of which were White Nationalists by the way). It seems like these munitions would be closely tracked, so an investigation should feasibly found out were they came from. Only law enforcement can buy these items.
    Last edited by ClaremontBear; 04-21-2017 at 01:02 AM.

I'm surprised anyone who went to Cal wouldn't know that the left wing crazies there are completely hypocritical. Always have been. Free speech for them, no one else.

Of course right wing crazies are no walk in the Park (yuck yuck yuck) either.

All of this is what our coaches call "the colorfulness of Berkeley" when trying​ to recuit 18 year old football players considering USC or Oregon as alternatives.

At least the crazies have stopped tree sitting next to the football facilities. Baby steps.