Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow: both Mariya and Minyon Moore transferring

One Louisville fan seems to think Mariya will end up at Cal because of her friendship with Kristine.

I think Cal has a reasonable chance to reunite the sisters if Mark Trakh can't do a great sales job on Minyon. If LG can pull it off, then Cal would have a great chance to go deep in the tournament.

And I know the Moore family some (even coached Minyon in a couple games when she was in middle school), and they are close, and East Bay folks.
    Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by ClayK View Post
    I think Cal has a reasonable chance to reunite the sisters if Mark Trakh can't do a great sales job on Minyon. If LG can pull it off, then Cal would have a great chance to go deep in the tournament.

And I know the Moore family some (even coached Minyon in a couple games when she was in middle school), and they are close, and East Bay folks.
    What are the chances that they wind up in the northwest where lots of former Cal star players seem to wind up?

I felt pretty good about the reunion at Cal until I heard Trakh was getting the USC job hmmm.

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by califan View Post
    I felt pretty good about the reunion at Cal until I heard Trakh was getting the USC job hmmm.
    One of the obstacle for Mariya ever coming to Cal as a freshmen was Gabby Green. Don't think Mariya could ever play with Gabby. Hope Mariya would now reconsider but will this be a 2-fer?

I hope we can land them but won't they have the one-year sit out rule?

Yes, both Mariya and Minyon will be redshirting the 2017-2018 season. The thing is if USC waives the extra penalty (losing a year of eligibility) that Minyon Moore would face for an intra-conference transfer. However, I would expect Mark Trakh to indeed support Minyon should she elect to transfer within the Pac-12 and waive the penalty.

I'm still surprised this is even happening, but I must admit I'm expecting them to come Cal's way! If anywhere outside Northern California was close enough for Mariya, wouldn't she just join Minyon at USC?

INTRA-CONFERENCE TRANFER RULE PAC-12

"2. The student-athlete loses one season of eligibility in all Conference sports.

a.This means that the student-athlete automatically loses one season of competition upon transfer, in addition to the redshirt year."

"Category 4: A student-athlete that receives the support of the first Pac-12schoolto waive the application of the year in residence penalty."

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by kat0189 View Post
    Yes, both Mariya and Minyon will be redshirting the 2017-2018 season. The thing is if USC waives the extra penalty (losing a year of eligibility) that Minyon Moore would face for an intra-conference transfer. However, I would expect Mark Trakh to indeed support Minyon should she elect to transfer within the Pac-12 and waive the penalty.
    You would think if Natalie Romeo doesn't miss a year due their coach getting fired, why should Minyon be penalized 2 years!

Why should Minyon or Mariya be penalized at all? How long does Cuonzo Martin have to sit out?

^^^^

It doesn't make sense in Minyons case to be penalized to that degree. I personally don't think it is in Minyons best interest to play on the same team as her sister. She deferred to her in high school and probably the same would happen in college. She is to good a player to do that. She should just stay at USC and her sister can come to Cal.

Interesting point ... but playing with her sister for one year still leaves two for her not to defer, and also allows the family to be together in the East Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by ClayK View Post
    Interesting point ... but playing with her sister for one year still leaves two for her not to defer, and also allows the family to be together in the East Bay.
    If Minyon lost a year of eligibility that would only leave her one year after her sister graduates not two.

Mariya's on an OV at Cal right now