Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aquira Decosta's final 5 schools (hint exciting news)

She's a junior in high school and can't sign a LOI until November at the earliest. This list may change in June or September. Who knows? She has not committed to anyone so why are you so worried about her word? Aquira is the #6 prospect in the country and goes to school in Stockton, why wouldn't we offer?

Again, I get how recruiting works but thanks for the lesson... 2 things.. First, you dont think most of you on this board would be up in arms if a top recruit had you on their list the entire process and then one day dropped Cal for Wash instead? I know at least a few here that would be sour..

Secondly, I made the point before, just because of her ranking doesnt mean cal offered. Again, why would a school waste time going after a kid that basically said "no thanks"? Hell, if Cal continued to recruit her heavily despite the fact she was looking elsewhere, then I guess more power to the staff for changing her mind. That's why I posed it as a question.. does anyone know if Cal offered? The easy way to think is "why wouldn't we offer?" But take Hayley Jones for example, local, top recruit, no brainer right? Has Cal offered? I don't know. But say she tells cal tomorrow she's not interested (Sorry, but I don't see her going to cal) do you think Cal will continue to hold a scholarship spot for her "just in case" she changes her mind in a year??

Quote Originally Posted by ricehntr5 View Post
    But take Hayley Jones for example, local, top recruit, no brainer right? Has Cal offered? I don't know. But say she tells cal tomorrow she's not interested (Sorry, but I don't see her going to cal) do you think Cal will continue to hold a scholarship spot for her "just in case" she changes her mind in a year??
    In that case I could see Cal recruiting someone else for the spot. However we don't use all 15 scholarships, we'll always have 2 or 3 free.

You act like Cal never lost a recruit we thought we had. It has happened plenty of times. We are sorry but we don't make the fuss you are doing.

I'm not making any fuss at all... I could care less where she ends up, I'm less of a bear fan than I am a follower.. I was questioning her method of publicly cutting her list over the last year only to change 50% of it right before summer. It's her choice and she can/will do as she pleases, just stating that while it may be a pleasant surprise for Cal, it could be a surprise nonetheless to the staff. Again, if its not a surprise to them, then kudos to them for pursuing a seemingly lost recruit.

I like Aquira and think she could develop into quite the force at the next level. That being said, for player development, she should be cautious of picking Cal, Louisville, and even Texas to some extent.

To me you can change your mind any time you want to till you sign on the dotted line. Then it will cost you. This is pretty common that a 16 year old might change their mind.

Now suppose I was dating several girls and everyone assumed I would eventually marry one of them. but no engagement ring had been offered. Then i changed my mind and became engaged to someone not previously in the group. I don't see any thing wrong with that. There is a lot of difference in breaking an engagement and just choosing a different girl. And their is even more difference in breaking an engagement and splitting up if you were married. Giving a verbal to a school is like getting engaged. Signing on the dotted line is like getting married.

Hahaha that's a creative way to think about it.. at least it made me laugh

Wow. Out of the Moore sisters, Littlejohn and DeCosta who are we most likely to snag?

I would prefer both Moore sisters, given our shortcomings. That gets us to week 2 of the tournament. Would take them all

http://www.calhisports.com/2017/04/2...new-finalists/

New detailed article describing DeCosta's recent revamping of her top 5. Interesting read.

Nice article, interesting that every other school she talked about liking the staff and/or players except Cal...

Just my personal opinion ( no insider information ) I believe the coaching change at Washington and Moore leaving Louisville probably played a major part in Cal being put back in the running. Moore says she left because she was homesick. That might make anyone reconsider any school on the east coast. Well what about SC? The thing is that SC was put back in the running long before Washington was dropped and Moore transferred out. Locality would certainly be a factor to players that were close to their families. Adding SC is about keeping options open if they decide that locality would not be that much of a deciding factor. The fact the Dawn was named US coach along with Ruthie Bolton being on the selection committee would certainly work in SC's favor. The people around Aquira are very smart and so any decision or change would certainly be for a logical reason.

wrote this before I read the linked article.
    Last edited by willtalk; 04-26-2017 at 07:54 AM.

DeCosta might resemble Bashaara Graves, Sophia Young, or a shorter Glory Johnson inside. She can dribble well enough slashing to the rim and while streaking down the floor in a blur.

The CalHiSports interview dimmed my excitement a bit. The way she talks about Cal reminds me of how Vicki Baugh described her interest in Cal when we were a finalist for her.

And seems unlucky that her father happens to have ties with South Carolina, right?

Interesting how she emphasizes that sheer constant contact and perceived interest from the respective coaching staffs is such a big factor for her.

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by kat0189 View Post
    DeCosta might resemble Bashaara Graves, Sophia Young, or a shorter Glory Johnson inside. She can dribble well enough slashing to the rim and while streaking down the floor in a blur.

The CalHiSports interview dimmed my excitement a bit. The way she talks about Cal reminds me of how Vicki Baugh described her interest in Cal when we were a finalist for her.

And seems unlucky that her father happens to have ties with South Carolina, right?

Interesting how she emphasizes that sheer constant contact and perceived interest from the respective coaching staffs is such a big factor for her.
    I remember during the coaches house visit during recruiting month both side said visit went terrific, of course, someone could be blowing smoke. I doubt Decosta would even consider Cal, if she didn't like the coaches and players. We might be a long shot but at least we are still on the list. Louisville still might be factor because her best friend Loretta Kakala (2017) will be going there. IMO Decosta is more interested in the play of the team as a group and not just the coaches and individual players which is why IMO SI waited so long.

Think it would help if the Moore sister decide on CAL. Don't rule it out especially since the reason Mariya didn't consider Cal is no longer an obstacle.
    Last edited by OBear073akaSMFan; 04-27-2017 at 04:45 PM.

+1 Obear...

Quote Originally Posted by ricehntr5 View Post
    Again, I get how recruiting works but thanks for the lesson... 2 things.. First, you dont think most of you on this board would be up in arms if a top recruit had you on their list the entire process and then one day dropped Cal for Wash instead? I know at least a few here that would be sour..

Secondly, I made the point before, just because of her ranking doesnt mean cal offered. Again, why would a school waste time going after a kid that basically said "no thanks"? Hell, if Cal continued to recruit her heavily despite the fact she was looking elsewhere, then I guess more power to the staff for changing her mind. That's why I posed it as a question.. does anyone know if Cal offered? The easy way to think is "why wouldn't we offer?" But take Hayley Jones for example, local, top recruit, no brainer right? Has Cal offered? I don't know. But say she tells cal tomorrow she's not interested (Sorry, but I don't see her going to cal) do you think Cal will continue to hold a scholarship spot for her "just in case" she changes her mind in a year??
    Yes, Cal has offered Aquira (long ago) and Haley.