Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Welcome Austin McCullough

I love that Jorge has become Alex Mack.

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    Here's a quick commitment story and senior highlights on the Front Page: http://bearinsider.com/news/story.php?article=2435
    Wow. Nice highlights. He isn't a high-flyer but he has decent athleticism and his footwork is *exceptional* for a high-schooler. He also squares up nicely for his jump shot. I have a feeling we are going to be looking back at his signing as a nice hidden gem find. I'm not expecting Jorge but perhaps a swingman version of David Kravish?

You must have missed it. Our starting PG next year will be Deschon Winston. He can do it all. Plus he is really smart.

Quote Originally Posted by CalHoopFan View Post
    Good post.

It is important to note that plenty of top 150 ranked kids are eligible to come to Cal. At least a third of them. That's tougher than 98% of other schools but not impossible.

Also good to recognize that the gap between 4/5 star kids and players like our last two HS recruits is WIDE. We landed two 2017 HS kids with superb academics. Their offer lists from any level of school were either non-existent or tiny. Even if our academics are as restrictive as you assert (and they are likely close IMO), we need to land players with stronger resumes. A couple of guys like this with great grades, characters and some potential upside on the court is fine. Say 1-3 of your 13 man scholarship roster. We enter this year with 5 of them! And that's out of only 10 eligible scholarship players on your roster.

It now comes down to our landing some big time players in the Fall. It's a must to land impact big men and some guys who clearly have the resume to be stars in the Pac12.
    I agree. I was only pointing out that I thought Jones was doing a decent job so far, given the lousy hand he's playing given the cards he was left by Martin. It doesn't look to me like these recruits are bodies just to get bodies, although you never really know until they get on the court. The key is really next year's recruiting class with Brown and Co. If we swing and miss on the high-end targets there, I would be worried about the efficacy of this staff to get us where we're trying to go.

Real Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
    The key is really next year's recruiting class with Brown and Co. If we swing and miss on the high-end targets there, I would be worried about the efficacy of this staff to get us where we're trying to go.
    I have to agree. Get your feet wet this year, make sure you are building relationships with the next class especially.