Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recruiting 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn91 View Post
    Tsubamoto...rankings aside, Brown wasn't transformational and didn't play like a top 5 recruit. He was good, don't get me wrong. Liddell has decent chance of matching Brown's impact.

Rabb's recruiting ranking far exceeded his ability and contribution. Again, he was good but definitely not transformational. Jordan Brown has a very good chance of being better.
    My opinion is that Brown and Rabb were not optimized by the previous coach. It's clear that Brown is very talented and IMO, Rabb will show well in the League.

The hope for the future of Cal is that Wyking can get the best out of who he brings in.

Liddell is a very good prospect, but Jaylen was more dominant as a Prep than Liddell is now.

As far as Rabb and Jordan Brown go, they are pretty similar as prospects at the same stage. Jordan has a little better offensive game, but Rabb had a superior feel at the same stage. Rebounding--I'd give a slight edge to Rabb. The key is whether Jordan can put on some strength before he gets to college.

I agree on them not being optimized. Brown is a tantalizing prospect with off the charts athleticism, strong makeup and developing basketball skills; which is why he was picked 3rd.

As for his year at Cal...it was very good but in the 30+ yrs I've watched Cal, I can easily come up with 15 players that were either better or had a better year/greater contribution which is why he I feel his top 5 recruiting ranking didn't really translate to his time at Cal. But I'm not complaining about him.

To add to the Gordon news, the staff also apparently offered Matt Bradley from San Bernardino, who blew up (literally and figuratively) over the weekend at the Compton Magic event.

https://twitter.com/evandaniels/stat...43626490662915
    Last edited by tsubamoto2001; 05-31-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    To add to the Gordon news, the staff also apparently offered Matt Bradley from San Bernardino, who blew up (literally and figuratively) over the weekend at the Compton Magic event.

https://twitter.com/evandaniels/stat...43626490662915
    Bradley is a tad shorter than is ideal for his position. But has some game. Reminds me a little of a shorter Shabazz Muhammad. Strong, left handed and can score.

Quote Originally Posted by 6956bear View Post
    Bradley is a tad shorter than is ideal for his position. But has some game. Reminds me a little of a shorter Shabazz Muhammad. Strong, left handed and can score.
    Going even further back, he reminded me of a mini Schea Cotton (late 90's hoops junkies likely remember this name).

Good start to the acid test for Wyking and Co.

How many 2018 slots left now?

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    How many 2018 slots left now?
    3. Though Chauca could conceivably grad transfer a la Rooks.

I'd rather not use all of our 2018 schollies since we'd then have only 3 available (Coleman, Austin, Davis) for 2019 and 2020. But one way or another we'll need a couple of bigs.

How about Brian Wethers?

Going even further back, he reminded me of a mini Schea Cotton (late 90's hoops junkies likely remember this name).
    Worst-case scenario, he turns out to be the modern day Rich Branum (sp?), a guy who played at Cal maybe around (???) 1990. Listed at 6-5, but probably 6-3. The body of a PF, but not the height. Not quite skilled enough to excel at the wing position at this level.

But Bradley looks more skilled, more athletic, so I am hopeful. Just remember, though, a 6-3 guy, built like that, can dominate a high school game.

Quote Originally Posted by Big C_Cal View Post
    Just remember, though, a 6-3 guy, built like that, can dominate a high school game.
    My thought:fear.
    Key unknown stat- what is 3pt% ?
    If >35%, he's thru the roof!!!

Tsubamoto...rankings aside, Brown wasn't transformational and didn't play like a top 5 recruit. He was good, don't get me wrong. Liddell has decent chance of matching Brown's impact.

Rabb's recruiting ranking far exceeded his ability and contribution. Again, he was good but definitely not transformational. Jordan Brown has a very good chance of being better.
    Brown's tape was insane. Almost Kobe like. I can recall posting that Rabb would take a back seat. He looked like he would be transformational. But it didn't happen. Often, the best you can do is guesstimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Big C_Cal View Post
    Worst-case scenario, he turns out to be the modern day Rich Branum (sp?), a guy who played at Cal maybe around (???) 1990. Listed at 6-5, but probably 6-3. The body of a PF, but not the height. Not quite skilled enough to excel at the wing position at this level.

But Bradley looks more skilled, more athletic, so I am hopeful. Just remember, though, a 6-3 guy, built like that, can dominate a high school game.
    Funny you say that because I thought Rich Branham as well. Totally different skill level though as you mention. Rich probably would have been better served playing tight end for the football team or being a stand up comedian.

My opinion is that Brown and Rabb were not optimized by the previous coach. It's clear that Brown is very talented and IMO, Rabb will show well in the League.

The hope for the future of Cal is that Wyking can get the best out of who he brings in.

Liddell is a very good prospect, but Jaylen was more dominant as a Prep than Liddell is now.

As far as Rabb and Jordan Brown go, they are pretty similar as prospects at the same stage. Jordan has a little better offensive game, but Rabb had a superior feel at the same stage. Rebounding--I'd give a slight edge to Rabb. The key is whether Jordan can put on some strength before he gets to college.
    Under Martin the team underperformed and players did not develop. Clearly, he's a great recruiter, but one must question whether he can "coach." He had a great NCAA run one season at Tennessee, but, other than that, what does he have that shows coaching ability? I was not sorry to see him go. If Wyking can develop the talent he brings in, it will enhance recruiting.