Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recruiting 2018

Real Bear
    Is Washington still a target? Is he still close to a decision?

Quote Originally Posted by southseasbear View Post
    Under Martin the team underperformed and players did not develop. Clearly, he's a great recruiter, but one must question whether he can "coach." He had a great NCAA run one season at Tennessee, but, other than that, what does he have that shows coaching ability? I was not sorry to see him go. If Wyking can develop the talent he brings in, it will enhance recruiting.
    Whoa, whoa, wait. Put the brakes on that.
    Great recruiter???
    In 3 years he got 2 guys.

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    Great recruiter???
    Also Charlie Moore, but between those 3 guys we got only 4 seasons. Nowhere near the quantity required for success.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    Also Charlie Moore, but between those 3 guys we got only 4 seasons. Nowhere near the quantity required for success.
    And he missed out on Charlie Moore the first time, only ending up with him because Memphis changed coaches. Turns out we weren't the right place for Moore anyways so that's probably more of a recruiting miss than a hit.

Several tweets reporting that Cal has offered Canadian SF Iggy Brazdeikis.

He had a very strong spring and was recently at the NBPA top 100 camp (he took a pass on the FIBA U19 worlds).

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    Great recruiter???
    And let's remember that Rabb's mom and Ivan himself were uniquely responsible for both.

Real Bear
    Hey Moraga,
    I thought Warren Washington was close to a decision, but that was at least two months ago. Did he change his mind and decide to explore his option further?
    Also, it seems like Brown is going to cut his list at the end of the summer. Is he the linchpin that determines all other moving parts within the rest of the class (although I think I may have already asked that)?
    Lastly, do we have timetables on other guys
    Penn Johnson
    Jacobs Yaffa
    Kelley
    Player X
    Allen
    etc..

The word in the media earlier was that Washington was close to a decision in May but that's not what I heard. I'd think he'll decide sometime before the school year or his season but we'll see. Haven't heard about anyone right around the corner, though there's one I wouldn't be surprised about in the next month or so and he's not who people would expect. Kelley could also make a decision before the school year if he has the chance to visit all the schools he wants to visit and doesn't feel there are other attractive offers he'd want to consider right around the corner. The fact that he didn't commit on his visit tells me he's not quite sure about Cal and wants to make sure there are no other attractive options that might be a better fit before he decides.

Brown is definitely a huge priority but he doesn't seem on the verge of making a decision. I doubt they'd hold off on other top targets to wait and hope on him unless they want to take 3 and hold the 3rd spot open if he doesn't make a decision before the other targets.

Real Bear
    Thanks! It sounds like we have options going forward. I love what the staff has put together so far and look forward to the final makeup of the team in the coming years!

Yeah, remember, it will be freshmen who'll be the starting bigs in 2018 with Lee and Okoroh having departed after this 2017 season.

Quote Originally Posted by puget sound cal fan View Post
    Yeah, remember, it will be freshmen who'll be the starting bigs in 2018 with Lee and Okoroh having departed after this 2017 season.
    Sure would be nice to be able to come up with an inside player for 2018 who arrives with some strength and experience. Grad transfer? JC guy? 20 yr old Euro?

Taeshon Cherry to $
    "Give 'em the axe. Where? Right in neck. There!"
    The California Axe Yell
    The proper response to, "We Want The Axe!"

Cherry was never really in the picture with Cal. He committed to SC last week.

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    Cherry was never really in the picture with Cal. He committed to SC last week.
    No he wasn't. But he is another talented scorer. USC certainly is adding lots of talent.

Sure, he's very good and will pose a challenge for Cal. Just clarifying Cal's involvement there.