Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recruiting 2018

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    Sure, he's very good and will pose a challenge for Cal. Just clarifying Cal's involvement there.
    I understand. Just another program that is beginning to recruit the west coast very well. The main competition is now no longer simply Arizona, UCLA and Oregon. It is a good thing Walker is connected in Texas.

He's connected in CA, too. And Theo will learn fast.

Quote Originally Posted by 6956bear View Post
    No he wasn't. But he is another talented scorer. USC certainly is adding lots of talent.
    The old staff was recruiting him. He's a really talented player. Can legit play both forward slots without giving too much away in terms of mobility, skill, or size, which is actually more rare than people think.

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    The old staff was recruiting him. He's a really talented player. Can legit play both forward slots without giving too much away in terms of mobility, skill, or size, which is actually more rare than people think.
    I do not believe the prior staff really ever gained much traction with Cherry. Yes he had an offer. Yes he is a talent.

He's connected in CA, too. And Theo will learn fast.
    Good to hear.

Nope, there was never much going on with Cal and Cherry.

Not a commentary on his skill level, just to say they didn't lose him to SC.

Real Bear
    What is the strategy of the staff going into the live periods?

Real Bear
    The word in the media earlier was that Washington was close to a decision in May but that's not what I heard. I'd think he'll decide sometime before the school year or his season but we'll see. Haven't heard about anyone right around the corner, though there's one I wouldn't be surprised about in the next month or so and he's not who people would expect. Kelley could also make a decision before the school year if he has the chance to visit all the schools he wants to visit and doesn't feel there are other attractive offers he'd want to consider right around the corner. The fact that he didn't commit on his visit tells me he's not quite sure about Cal and wants to make sure there are no other attractive options that might be a better fit before he decides.

Brown is definitely a huge priority but he doesn't seem on the verge of making a decision. I doubt they'd hold off on other top targets to wait and hope on him unless they want to take 3 and hold the 3rd spot open if he doesn't make a decision before the other targets.
    Still a possibility that this unnamed guy could pull the trigger? I have my theories who it could be...

Real Bear
    I love the names that are being thrown around as the final members of the 2018 class. I really think that the coaches are doing a great job of recruiting.
    If we get any two of the following, I would be very happy:
    Jordan Brown
    KJ Hymes
    Amidou Sow
    Bryan Penn-Johnson
    Timmy Allen
    Jaedon LeDee

And it would be cool to get:
    Andre Kelley
    James Akinjo (although it seems like he would not be a priority given our current roster)
    Tolu Jacobs-Yaffa

I wouldn't focus much on Hymes, Akinjo or Allen if you're tracking these guys.

That means we want 3 of following 6?:
    Jordan Brown
    Amidou Sow
    Bryan Penn-Johnson
    Jaedon LeDee
    Andre Kelley
    Tolu Jacobs-Yaffa

Real Bear
    Thanks, Moraga. I'm guessing that there are at least a couple others who I didn't mention who are on the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by parentswerebears View Post
    I love the names that are being thrown around as the final members of the 2018 class. I really think that the coaches are doing a great job of recruiting.
    If we get any two of the following, I would be very happy:
    Jordan Brown
    KJ Hymes
    Amidou Sow
    Bryan Penn-Johnson
    Timmy Allen
    Jaedon LeDee

And it would be cool to get:
    Andre Kelley
    James Akinjo (although it seems like he would not be a priority given our current roster)
    Tolu Jacobs-Yaffa
    If they sign two more I prefer Jordan Brown and Jaedon LeDee. Just my opinion but I think they will sign as many as 3 more. Brown is the key guy. But he likely is a one and done. Sow and Penn-Johnson have really big upside potential. Kelly is very solid as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 6956bear View Post
    If they sign two more I prefer Jordan Brown and Jaedon LeDee. Just my opinion but I think they will sign as many as 3 more. Brown is the key guy. But he likely is a one and done. Sow and Penn-Johnson have really big upside potential. Kelly is very solid as well.
    While anything is possible, there's only one likely extra scholly to offer, and it currently belongs to a player who almost has to have a breakthrough season this year. I hope he does.