Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Welcome Matt Bradley!

Sounds a bit like a professional team I've heard of that also wears blue and gold...

Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor View Post
    Sounds a bit like a professional team I've heard of that also wears blue and gold...
    Not at this point in time. The Warriors have a point guard, a classic 2 and 3, a 4 that sometimes slides to 5, and two traditional 5's that share the position.

Quote Originally Posted by BearNecessities View Post
    Not at this point in time. The Warriors have a point guard, a classic 2 and 3, a 4 that sometimes slides to 5, and two traditional 5's that share the position.
    West, Pachulia and McGee...3 who are 5s, right?

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    This staff isn't recruiting towards traditional models of C/PF/SF/SG/PG. There will be an emphasis on shooting, athleticism, versatility, defense and ability to get up and down the court.

They won't ignore recruiting the 4 and 5, having good shots with guys like Brown, Penn-Johnson, Jacob-Yaffa, Washington, Kelly, etc, but there probably won't be as much depth there any given year, playing more of a smaller, athletic brand of ball with guys that can run, shoot and defend at a high level.
    It is an interesting and potentially smart plan. One COULD argue that Cal is very well positioned if it focuses energy and effort on guys that are SHORTER (but as Bradley shows, not "small"). The taller guys will be slotted for one and dones. The shorter guys are likely to be around longer, could be hungrier, and as Pitino has shown, can lay a foundation for a very successful program.

Loyal Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor View Post
    Also sounds like Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
    It is an interesting and potentially smart plan. One COULD argue that Cal is very well positioned if it focuses energy and effort on guys that are SHORTER (but as Bradley shows, not "small"). The taller guys will be slotted for one and dones. The shorter guys are likely to be around longer, could be hungrier, and as Pitino has shown, can lay a foundation for a very successful program.
    Great, so just like that we're getting one and dones?

And why limit your one and done haul to tall guys? Get the short ones, too.

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    And why limit your one and done haul to tall guys? Get the short ones, too.
    _MOST_ one and dones are larger. Not universally but you rarely see a PG who is 6/0 going after one year....or a SG <64....or Forwards who are less than 6'8"/6"9". But those size kids may NOT be best in a pressing defense - where you want quickness and "length".

Cal has and can get one and dones. But if the success of the program hinges upon getting a steady stream it would be really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
    Cal has and can get one and dones. But if the success of the program hinges upon getting a steady stream it would be really hard.
    I want a steady stream of 4-star, 4-year players.

Frank Burlison tweet:

"Matt Bradley with 15 points early 2Q. Hasn't missed shot. Steal for Cal. #NBPATop100Camp"

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    I want a steady stream of 4-star, 4-year players.
    Me, too! Bring in maybe three per year. Mix in an occasional 5-star who is NOT an NBA prototype (so he stays for 3-4 years, too).

California Dreamin'

At least Ivan stayed for two seasons, and he'll probably return ultimately

At least Ivan stayed for two years, and he'll probably return to Berkeley to earn his degree.