Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Evolving Roster 2017, 2018

There's always a Plan B. I don't think they'll need it, though.

The recruiting dynamic is much different with this staff.

Quote Originally Posted by parentswerebears View Post
    So, I assume that we currently have 3 more spots on the roster for 18.
    1. McNeill (all but a given- I think)
    2. Jordan Brown (top priority)
    3. Bryan Penn Johnson or Tolu Jacobs Yaffa
    4. Andre Kelley (if the others don't pan out?)
    5. Plan C?
    I thought McNeil is for 2017? Or does he have to sit a year?

Quote Originally Posted by fat_slice View Post
    I thought McNeil is for 2017? Or does he have to sit a year?
    He'll take a scholarship which could otherwise be used in 2018.

Would that reduce the number of bigs that Cal could take in 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by puget sound cal fan View Post
    Would that reduce the number of bigs that Cal could take in 2018?
    With no unexpected departures we'll have for 2018:
    SR: Coleman
    JR: Austin, Davis
    SO: Anticevich, Harris-Dyson, McCullough, Sueing, Winston
    FR: Bradley, Gordon

That's 10, if we add McNeill 11, so we should have 2 or 3 scholarships remaining.

Real Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    With no unexpected departures we'll have for 2018:
    SR: Coleman
    JR: Austin, Davis
    SO: Anticevich, Harris-Dyson, McCullough, Sueing, Winston
    FR: Bradley, Gordon

That's 10, if we add McNeill 11, so we should have 2 or 3 scholarships remaining.
    A total of 13, so two.

A total of 13, so two.
    And that's assuming no transfers or early graduations occur in the next year.

They could well take 3 besides McNeill (assuming he signs), depending on who they are and when the 3rd wanted to commit and what the roster outlook looks like at that point.

Spring late signing period is from Mid-April to mid-May -a LONG time from now.

Early graduations?
    Whatchu talkin bout, Willis?
    The only candidates for that would be Davis and Austin, the latter just arriving, so 'no', the former in 3? Come on, now! That's exceedingly rare.
    So what you're really saying is Transfers. That's no good, no plan.
    -though, we all know they happen due to pt concerns, so a staff must be prepared.

Besides; if we land McNeill, 2 schollies for 18 are fine--as long as both are bigs. In fact, it would help balance the class numbers-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor View Post
    Besides; if we land McNeill, 2 schollies for 18 are fine--as long as both are bigs. In fact, it would help balance the class numbers-wise.
    Unless you plan on playing small Cal will need 3 "bigs" for 2018. Other than Lee and Kingsley Cal has no players listed at above 6'8". Both of those guys graduate. So who plays in the post? Davis and Anticevich are the players on scholie listed as PF. No center on the roster after Kingsley. Need 3 bigs IMO. Someone will need to defend the post regardless of how you play on offense.

Good point. Looks like someone has to go if McNeill signs.

Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor View Post
    Good point. Looks like someone has to go if McNeill signs.
    Would like to see a true post (Penn-Johnson) and true swing PF/C (Brown) and a true PF (Kelly ). Brown a possible one and done so that role would need to be recruited again for 2019 class. Like playing small but that still requires some size and flexibility (injuries, foul trouble and matchups).

Real Bear
    That brings up something: where does that extra scholarship that results from Chauca leaving the team fit into this! Or was that answered somewhere else? Or am I imagining that?

That brings up something: where does that extra scholarship that results from Chauca leaving the team fit into this! Or was that answered somewhere else? Or am I imagining that?
    I believe that is a one year deal. First season of a new coach they may get a one time roster exemption. They do not need it for this year as they are under the limit. I do believe they will want an additional offer for 2018. It will be interesting to follow.

Real Bear
    So, I was wondering with those last two scholarships (or 3), are their different scenarios depending on who comes/signs first? Say, if Brown, then ____ or if Penn Johnson, then____? Or are all of these independent variables? Is the actionable/conditional thing real? And last question: when is Brown kind of expected to sign late period or early period?