Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Finals thread

Quote Originally Posted by oskirules View Post
    Thompson sill in a shooting slump and can't shoot himself out of it.
    Thompson's a rhythm guy and all these days off aren't doing him any favors.

As the series goes on, if they try to shade off him to focus on Curry and KD, that might be just what he needs to get going on the offensive end. On D, he's money.

I'd expect a much closer game on Sunday...Cavs won't turn the ball over as much as this game. But yeah, the matchups will be tough for the Cavs and I'm not sure they have a lot of options to change things up. They basically have to hope for a cold shooting night from the Dubs so they can get some easy transition baskets and limit their own turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    I saw Lebron miss a number of layups after powerfully driving to get there. That last finishing touch at the rim is what keeps him from being GOAT, imho. Jordan (and Kobe, btw) had it better.
    Lebron has one of the highest shooting % around the rim in modern history lol.

Quote Originally Posted by concernedparent View Post
    Lebron has one of the highest shooting % around the rim in modern history lol.
    I believe you!!
    It was an eye test type comment.
    Kept waiting for Cavs to launch a comeback (for Lebron to put a stamp on it like last year) and he missed about 3. Yes, he is so damned good that his game gets picked apart to the nth degree. But, that's what I saw: "Jordan would have finished those."

When Cavs picked up Deron Williams and Kyle Korver, I thought that would be a bigger deal.
    Hmmm
    Problem is: neither Korver nor Williams can play defense. When the Cavs went small to increase 3-point shooting, they gave up on D, and it showed last night.

Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor View Post
    Problem is: neither Korver nor Williams can play defense. When the Cavs went small to increase 3-point shooting, they gave up on D, and it showed last night.
    Is that what it was?
    I had too many family distractions to follow that closely, and haven't followed those guys' careers or the Cavs this season.
    Thx.

That's gotta be majorly disappointing for Lebron. He has tried to construct this roster, attract talent, to compete with the Warriors.
    It's gonna be interesting how the offseason moves this year go.
    If the Cavs get routed, what's Lebron gonna do? Just return for another year and see how it goes, take home a 6th second place trophy?

If I were him, I'd take a contract of $1, and let the front office bring in the biggest and baddest roster.
    Athletes should start looking at it like, "hey, I make $100M in sponsorships, which are going to be supported by winning Championships, so I will forgo the Salary in order to get Championships now, so that my sponsorships can last 50 more years, instead of running out when I'm done playing."

Think about that!
    And if you were Lebron, this offseason, who would you bring in to beat the W's?

The W's should do the same thing. They apparently already are.
    Curry has been the most underpaid player on the NBA since 2012.
    And I read an article that said that Durant is going to accept something like $3.8M less than max so that the W's can give the Bird-rights (and money) to Iguodala and Livingston.

Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor View Post
    When well guarded, they hardly provide any offense. Dubs' bench is way better than the Cavs'.

With no injuries to critical Dubs players in the days ahead, the Cavs have no answers. (Now watch me eat this sentence...)

Is that what it was?
    I had too many family distractions to follow that closely, and haven't followed those guys' careers or the Cavs this season.
    Thx.

That's gotta be majorly disappointing for Lebron. He has tried to construct this roster, attract talent, to compete with the Warriors.
    It's gonna be interesting how the offseason moves this year go.
    If the Cavs get routed, what's Lebron gonna do? Just return for another year and see how it goes, take home a 6th second place trophy?

If I were him, I'd take a contract of $1, and let the front office bring in the biggest and baddest roster.
    Athletes should start looking at it like, "hey, I make $100M in sponsorships, which are going to be supported by winning Championships, so I will forgo the Salary in order to get Championships now, so that my sponsorships can last 50 more years, instead of running out when I'm done playing."

Think about that!
    And if you were Lebron, this offseason, who would you bring in to beat the W's?

The W's should do the same thing. They apparently already are.
    Curry has been the most underpaid player on the NBA since 2012.
    And I read an article that said that Durant is going to accept something like $3.8M less than max so that the W's can give the Bird-rights (and money) to Iguodala and Livingston.
    Even if Lebron took almost no salary, I dont think it really helps Cleveland. Just looking at the cap situation next year, it would give them something like 4-5 million under the cap. so another nice role player for him to take no salary?

Players association would have a fit.

Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    With no injuries to critical Dubs players in the days ahead, the Cavs have no answers. (Now watch me eat this sentence...)
    People keep looking at last year's Finals as some kind of template, but that depended on:

1. Harrison Barnes being on the team instead of Kevin Durant.
    2. Curry being hobbled and not having his usual dribble-drive quickness. You could see the difference immediately: last year Tristan Thompson and even occasionally Kevin Love could gamely stay with Curry one-on-one, but in this game they had no chance.
    3. Injuries and suspensions to key W's role players: Draymond missing a game, Bogut suffering a season-ending injury in Game 5, Iguodala's back acting up for the last two games.

Even given all of that, the series went 7 games and the Warriors were within a couple open shots of winning outright. A healthy, complete Warriors team is another matter.

The Cavs probably need to slow the game down and do more isolations, like they did in 2015. Now they see they are out-manned, it's the best chance for an underdog to win.

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    As the series goes on, if they try to shade off him to focus on Curry and KD, that might be just what he needs to get going on the offensive end. On D, he's money.
    Aside from Draymond, he is probably the best defender on the court given how he can cover every position.

True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars Out here we is stoned – immaculate. J. Morrison
    The killer stats:

Warriors took 45 shots; Cavs 30

Warriors 31 assists; Cavs 15

Warriors 12 steals; Cavs 0

Warriors 4 turnovers; Cavs 20;

Warriors 27 fast break points; Cavs 9;

Warriors 56 points in paint; Cavs 30

Real Bear
    East of Tomales Bay; west of Eagle Lake; south of Sauvie Island; north of Pismo Beach
    W's 4 turnovers.
    Cavs 20 turnovers.
    Minimize the turnovers.
    Klay hits a few shots.
    It's over for LbJ and Cavs....adios vaquero.

Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    When well guarded, they hardly provide any offense. Dubs' bench is way better than the Cavs'.

in terms of eating crow, or sentences, we all recall that we beat them in both games 1 and 2 last year, in game 2 by 33 points. We looked dominant. And we know how that turned out. As was mentioned last night Lebron is 1/7 in the first games of finals series, and his teams have won three of them. I will never underestimate him (or Kyrie) after last year, even though I dislike his entitled attitude intensely (Kyrie, on the other hand seems like a nice dude, if brain addled with respect to believing the earth is flat). I would be surprised if there are not some very competitive games in this series, and I would be shocked if we swept them. So I am not going to be counting any chickens (or crows) until all 7 of them have hatched.

(yes, i do remember Curry and Bogut were injured, Draymond was crazy and was suspended for a game (though he was transcendent in game 7), and Harrison Barnes was apparently choking or something like that. In terms of injuries, by the way, I suspect we will end up with some, given the intensity with which everyone is playing and the swallowed whistles of the refs. )

Quote Originally Posted by Strykur View Post
    Aside from Draymond, he is probably the best defender on the court given how he can cover every position.
    Klay can't guard the 1, 4, or 5. He's not a better defender than LeBron, KD, or even Tristan Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearprof View Post
    in terms of eating crow, or sentences, we all recall that we beat them in both games 1 and 2 last year, in game 2 by 33 points. We looked dominant. And we know how that turned out. As was mentioned last night Lebron is 1/7 in the first games of finals series, and his teams have won three of them. I will never underestimate him (or Kyrie) after last year, even though I dislike his entitled attitude intensely (Kyrie, on the other hand seems like a nice dude, if brain addled with respect to believing the earth is flat). I would be surprised if there are not some very competitive games in this series, and I would be shocked if we swept them. So I am not going to be counting any chickens (or crows) until all 7 of them have hatched.

(yes, i do remember Curry and Bogut were injured, Draymond was crazy and was suspended for a game (though he was transcendent in game 7), and Harrison Barnes was apparently choking or something like that. In terms of injuries, by the way, I suspect we will end up with some, given the intensity with which everyone is playing and the swallowed whistles of the refs. )
    I agree, for all the problems the dubs cause the cavs. There is still the danger of Lebron going nuclear and Kyrie going nuclear especially when they go back to Cleveland where our role players likely wont play as well.

Plus everyone sort of forgets, Curry did not have a very good 2015 finals for him and he was perfectly healthy. He actually hasnt always played well on the biggest stage and he still didnt play all the well for him in game 1. They can get away with it when Durant plays well, but if Durant goes cold, klay stays cold, Curry goes cold, thatd be the recipe for how they could lose this. It could happen, however unlikely.