Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can someone OBJECTIVELY explain Zona's recruiting prowess

Can someone OBJECTIVELY explain Zona's recruiting prowess

OK.

I have a really hard time understanding it.....or at least how they keep landing top 5 after top 5 classes.....

1) It isn't a GREAT program in respect to winning. Miller has yet to shown he can get over the hump
    2) It isn't a GREAT program for getting serious Early mint. Early mint=brand you have built in college. Building brand in college= understanding 65%+ of US population (and thus eyeballs) lives east of the mississippi. Can be done but hard.. So, for example https://sports.yahoo.com/news/kicks-...193254249.html
    3) It hasn't proved to be a great program for mid mint. Miller recruits great players. Have any of his charges gone onto become dominant players in the Show? For all that is it fun to beat up Howland you could make a strong argument that several of his Bruins had foundations laid that helped them achieve greatness in the show (see Russel Westbrook) as their careers developed.

I know that sounds like sour grapes. But anyone have an informed take? It can't just be donuts.

I'll take a stab:

1). Strong brand from long, sustained history of success (albeit not championship level success)
    2). Zero admissions requirements. Anyone can get in.
    3). "Players program" and a "Players coach"
    4). Shady recruiting (Miller was voted by fellow coaches a few years ago as the shadiest of all when it comes to recruiting)
    5). Long history of direct donor support to players
    6). Playing in front of a full house.
    7). Hot women of marginal intelligence and purity.
    8). Still among the top 10 for schools putting players in the NBA.
    Last edited by TheSouseFamily; 06-06-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSouseFamily View Post
    I'll take a stab:

1). Strong brand from long, sustained history of success (albeit not championship level success)
    4). Shady recruiting (Miller was voted by fellow coaches a few years ago as the shadiest of all when it comes to recruiting)

9.) School is easy-no need to work hard or stress about it (lousy preparation for job competition in the real world but it works for Miller/U of A)

A lot of salt in here.

1) Something as volatile as NCAA tournament success cannot be the only barometer for a "successful" program. Look at Arizona's winning percentage the last 20 years, let alone the last 5 years.
    2) NBA pipeline. Miller's job is to get kids with realistic aspirations, which most at Arizona do, to the professional level. In addition to that, get them drafted as high as possible. Once they are in the pros that is completely on the player, not his college coach.
    3) Best fan support in the PAC-12 by far
    4) Beautiful campus and facilities
    5) beautiful women
    6) Like many college towns, they are rock stars in Tucson.
    7) Nike Elite school. One of a handful of schools that get access to the latest swag/shoes/jerseys. The reality is this matters to a lot of kids.
    8) He has built the program to a point where there is constant competition at an elite level and built for year over year success

I was born and raised in the Bay Area. Live here now, and have been very successful in the tech industry since graduating 5 years ago. I'm a big PAC 12 supporter and love Cal/Stanford as well which are some of the reasons I visit this board on occasion. I'm tired of hearing this BS about "not preparing you for the real world". Fact is, the individual make themselves, the institution does not and not every single person is going to be able to, or wants to attend Cal. I have a lot of friends who are Cal grads and not all of them are overwhelmingly successful. I have a lot of friends who are Arizona grads who are successful as well. There are a lot somewhere in between. The education you receive is not the be all, end all, especially at a university that you are treating akin to Trump University, like Arizona.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
    A lot of salt in here.

1) Something as volatile as NCAA tournament success cannot be the only barometer for a "successful" program. Look at Arizona's winning percentage the last 20 years, let alone the last 5 years.
    2) NBA pipeline. Miller's job is to get kids with realistic aspirations, which most at Arizona do, to the professional level. In addition to that, get them drafted as high as possible. Once they are in the pros that is completely on the player, not his college coach.
    3) Best fan support in the PAC-12 by far
    4) Beautiful campus and facilities
    5) beautiful women
    6) Like many college towns, they are rock stars in Tucson.
    7) Nike Elite school. One of a handful of schools that get access to the latest swag/shoes/jerseys. The reality is this matters to a lot of kids.
    8) He has built the program to a point where there is constant competition at an elite level and built for year over year success

I was born and raised in the Bay Area. Live here now, and have been very successful in the tech industry since graduating 5 years ago. I'm a big PAC 12 supporter and love Cal/Stanford as well which are some of the reasons I visit this board on occasion. I'm tired of hearing this BS about "not preparing you for the real world". Fact is, the individual make themselves, the institution does not and not every single person is going to be able to, or wants to attend Cal. I have a lot of friends who are Cal grads and not all of them are overwhelmingly successful. I have a lot of friends who are Arizona grads who are successful as well. There are a lot somewhere in between. The education you receive is not the be all, end all, especially at a university that you are treating akin to Trump University, like Arizona.
    Well said. Trump University lol. Maybe University of Phoenix?

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
    Well said. Trump University lol. Maybe University of Phoenix?
    At least they have ASU to look down on.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    At least they have ASU to look down on.
    don't say that to Shocky!

There are only a small handful of programs in the country that are the top priority on campus to the extent that basketball is Arizona's identity. As in, their entire university brand, nationally, is basketball. The rest is irrelevant or simply unknown. If you're a top tier player, this HAS to be enticing. There is no other sport or department on that entire campus that anyone outside of Arizona gives a sh*t about. You can say the same thing about maybe 3 other schools. These schools recruit amazingly well.
    Last edited by socaliganbear; 06-06-2017 at 05:40 PM.

Real Bear
    East of Tomales Bay; west of Eagle Lake; south of Sauvie Island; north of Pismo Beach
    >"...Can someone OBJECTIVELY explain Zona's recruiting prowness..."<

Donuts, my friend. Greasy deep fried dough balls sugar glazed with bright colored frosting and sprinkles...and bacon.
    Last edited by joe yaks; 06-07-2017 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by socaliganbear View Post
    There are only a small handful of programs in the country that are the top priority on campus to the extent that basketball is Arizona's identity. As in, their entire university brand, nationally, is basketball. The rest is irrelevant or simply unknown. If you're a top tier player, this HAS to be enticing. There is no other sport or department on that entire campus that anyone outside of Arizona gives a sh*t about. You can say the same thing about maybe 3 other schools. These schools recruit amazingly well.
    Hey stop insulting zona's academics or else that dfresh guy is going to come back

Quote Originally Posted by ducky23 View Post
    Hey stop insulting zona's academics or else that dfresh guy is going to come back
    You're damn right I am. This has less to do with Arizona's academic reputation and everything to do with people in general sitting on their high, cream colored pedestal of degrees. Not everyone is afforded the same opportunities. Where someone is educated does not ultimately determine who they are or what they are capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
    You're damn right I am. This has less to do with Arizona's academic reputation and everything to do with people in general sitting on their high, cream colored pedestal of degrees. Not everyone is afforded the same opportunities. Where someone is educated does not ultimately determine who they are or what they are capable of.
    I'm certainly not saying that, and I don't think anyone else here is. But I AM saying that having a program that is clearly top dog at school, partly because it's that program, not academic achievements that you're known for is a big recruiting plus. I can only imagine what that must be like, going someplace where you're the only thing that really matters. At 18 no less! Like I said, there are only a tiny handful of places where this is possible.

That's certainly not Cal, not now and not even if they were to win the next three championships. It doesn't matter if you become governor of California, are a world famous scientist, or the #1 draft pick, no one will ever be a rock star on this campus. That's just not the ethos here.
    Last edited by socaliganbear; 06-06-2017 at 08:04 PM.

The basketball players are educated supposedly at their computers. It is 100% online courses, correct?

I'm confused, who's salty again?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSouseFamily View Post
    I'll take a stab:

All of these play a role. But numbers 4 and 5 on your list play a big role. At least with certain high rated recruits. Hoops recruiting is really a dirty game. It is hard to win big year after year without top players. The game is cash. Top players are known, many have their hand out (indirectly via AAU coaches or handlers). It is really hard to build a lasting program the right way.