Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can someone OBJECTIVELY explain Zona's recruiting prowess

Real Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    Take that sh!t to a Chico State board.
    That doesn't exist. No one cares enough for that.

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by parentswerebears View Post
    That doesn't exist. No one cares enough for that.
    That's exactly what I'm saying.

Don't forget Igoudala (at least I thought he was a wildcat).

Quote Originally Posted by SRBear View Post
    Don't forget Igoudala (at least I thought he was a wildcat).
    He is, one of the Arizona boys that have been around Golden State lately (Steve Kerr and Luke Walton also played at Arizona).

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaEternal View Post
    The number of Arizona grads at Bay Area tech companies must be pretty miniscule. Don't think I've ever come across one in a technical role, but undoubtedly they exist in sales and marketing type roles where advanced education isn't a precursor to success. Here's a hint though, the school that produces the most tech company employees is located in a city just north of Oakland. But hey, I'm sure you're a shining example of the power of the Arizona diploma.
    Chill bro. My point is simply, the person > the diploma. Graduating with a diploma from anywhere doesn't guarantee someone anything.

Cal, Arizona, or any other university will never teach someone integrity, social skills, or common sense. Hell, everyone who goes to Cal are extremely intelligent before they even get there.

Go PAC-12 but most importantly bear down.

Love,
    dfresh

Quote Originally Posted by ducky23 View Post
    Its hard to crap on some of the former players that came out of UofA, including Tolbert, Kerr, Sean Elliott, Jefferson, Miles Simon. They all seemed like super high character guys. But (to my knowledge) they all played under Lute. I don't have the same respect for the current crop of UofA players, nor do I have the same respect for their current coach.
    I can't believe in two and a half pages of responses, Lute's name only came up once. In my mind, the answer to the question is Lute Olson. Some of the intrinsic things mentioned, like the lack of academic hurdles, and hot co-eds, are true. But those things exist at other places, too. And some of the other things, like great fan support (both the great home game-day experience, and the willingness of the fans to travel for their team), donor support / boosters, etc. are also true, but I doubt they were there the way that they are today, before Lute got there.

If you look at almost all of the current basketball powerhouses, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, UCLA, Arizona, Michigan State, even Gonzaga to some extent, with the exception of UCLA, there really aren't many intrinsic advantages, like UCLA's proximity to the southern California recruiting base. What they all had were great coaches that won at a high level for really long time. Even Florida, which like UCLA has some intrinsic advantages, didn't really become a National power until Billy Donovan got there.

In my opinion, Lute Olson made Arizona the recruiting juggernaut that they are today.

Quote Originally Posted by LOUMFSG2 View Post
    I can't believe in two and a half pages of responses, Lute's name only came up once. In my mind, the answer to the question is Lute Olson. Some of the intrinsic things mentioned, like the lack of academic hurdles, and hot co-eds, are true. But those things exist at other places, too. And some of the other things, like great fan support (both the great home game-day experience, and the willingness of the fans to travel for their team), donor support / boosters, etc. are also true, but I doubt they were there the way that they are today, before Lute got there.

If you look at almost all of the current basketball powerhouses, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, UCLA, Arizona, Michigan State, even Gonzaga to some extent, with the exception of UCLA, there really aren't many intrinsic advantages, like UCLA's proximity to the southern California recruiting base. What they all had were great coaches that won at a high level for really long time. Even Florida, which like UCLA has some intrinsic advantages, didn't really become a National power until Billy Donovan got there.

In my opinion, Lute Olson made Arizona the recruiting juggernaut that they are today.
    +1.

You hit the nail on the head!

Winning matters.

Lute Olsen, with ALL the advantages discussed here, managed ONE championship in 25 or so years.
    Lots and lots of conference wins over mediocre west coast teams.
    Tournament time? Major underachiever.
    He did rip Dick Vitale a new one once, so I give him that.

Quote Originally Posted by OverUnder84 View Post
    Lute Olsen, with ALL the advantages discussed here, managed ONE championship in 25 or so years.
    Before Lute Olsen, Arizona basketball was non-existent. Sweet Sixteen in 1951, Elite Eight in 1976, 1st round in 1977. That's it. Worth nothing however that this was all prior to joining the PAC-10, before that they were in the Border Conference and the old WAC. New Mexico was a program of higher prominence than Arizona at that point in time.
    Last edited by Strykur; 06-09-2017 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    Take that sh!t to a Chico State board.
    Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by OverUnder84 View Post
    COACH____________NC'S
    John Wooden_______10
    Mike Krzyzewski____5
    Adolph Rupp________4
    Roy Williams_______3
    Jim Calhoun________3
    Bob Knight_________3
    Denny Crum_________2
    Billy Donovan______2
    Henry Iba__________2
    Ed Jucker__________2
    Branch McCracken___2
    Rick Pitino________2
    Dean Smith_________2
    Phil Woolpert______2

COACH____________WINS
    Mike Krzyzewski___91
    Roy Williams______76
    Dean Smith________65
    Jim Boeheim_______57
    Rick Pitino_______54
    Jim Calhoun_______49
    Tom Izzo__________48
    John Wooden_______47
    Lute Olson________46

COACH____________F4'S
    Mike Krzyzewski___12
    John Wooden_______12
    Dean Smith________11
    Roy Williams_______9
    Tom Izzo___________7
    Rick Pitino________7
    Denny Crum_________6
    Adolph Rupp________6
    John Calipari______6
    Bob Knight_________5
    Guy Lewis__________5
    Lute Olson_________5
    Jim Boeheim________5
    Billy Donovan______4
    Jim Calhoun________4

There are only 14 guys in history that have managed more than 1 NCAA tournament championship, and some of the older guys didn't have to navigate through a 64 team field the way they do today. Izzo "only" has 1, Boeheim "only" has 1 in 40+ years at Syracuse. Dean Smith was at UNC for 36 years and has a total 2 National Championships.

Olson is 9th on the all-time list of NCAA tournament game wins (he's 46-27), and tied for 10th all-time with 5 Final Four appearances (4 with Arizona, 1 with Iowa). At Arizona, he took the Wildcats to 23 straight NCAA tournament berths, including 11 Sweet 16's, 7 Elite 8's, 4 Final 4's, 2 trips to the Championship Game, and 1 Title.

It's not all about Championships - everyone can't be John Wooden or Mike Krzyzewski, and if you are not, that doesn't make you an underachiever.

In his career, he also won 13 Conference Regular Season Championships (11 Pac-10, 1 Big-10, 1 Big West), and he won the Pac-10 Tournament 4 times. He won his Conference Coach of the Year Award 9 times (7 Pac-10, 2 Big-10), and he was National Coach of the Year twice. His career record was 781-280 (.736).

And as Strykur points out, all of this was accomplished at a school with no history of winning prior to his arrival.

From 1949-1983, Arizona was ranked in the Top-25 a grand total of 56 times (10.7% of all polls conducted), including only 7 times (1.3%) in the Top 10, never being ranked higher than 8th in the country.

From 1984-2007, under Lute Olson, Arizona was ranked in the Top-25 350 times (81.2%), in the Top-10 220 times (51.0%), in the Top-5 111 (25.8%), and ranked Number #1 29 times (6.7%). Think about that. Over a 24 year period, Arizona was ranked in the Top-10 in the country more than half of the time, and in the Top-5 more than a quarter of the time under Lute.

AND he ripped Dick Vitale a new one once . . .
    Last edited by LOUMFSG2; 06-10-2017 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strykur View Post
    Before Lute Olsen, Arizona basketball was non-existent. Sweet Sixteen in 1951, Elite Eight in 1976, 1st round in 1977. That's it. Worth nothing however that this was all prior to joining the PAC-10, before that they were in the Border Conference and the old WAC. New Mexico was a program of higher prominence than Arizona at that point in time.
    Pete Newel has only 1 NCAA championship and many consider him the greatest basketball coach ever (including one Bobby Knight).

Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    Pete Newel has only 1 NCAA championship and many consider him the greatest basketball coach ever (including one Bobby Knight).
    If Pete Newell had coached at Cal for 24 years instead of 4 years, there's a good chance Cal would be among power programs in the country. What could have been . . .

Anyone have a tape or quote on this Lute ripping Vitale a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by LOUMFSG2 View Post

From 1949-1983, Arizona was ranked in the Top-25 a grand total of 56 times (10.7% of all polls conducted), including only 7 times (1.3%) in the Top 10, never being ranked higher than 8th in the country.

From 1984-2007, under Lute Olson, Arizona was ranked in the Top-25 350 times (81.2%), in the Top-10 220 times (51.0%), in the Top-5 111 (25.8%), and ranked Number #1 29 times (6.7%). Think about that. Over a 24 year period, Arizona was ranked in the Top-10 in the country more than half of the time, and in the Top-5 more than a quarter of the time under Lute.
    . .
    Lou:

Your stats detailed response is impressively in the top 99.999% of all posts on BI for content quality! It could be used at Lute's HOF induction ceremony, or funeral.

Regarding this part, did it take him any time to "warm up" to top 5/10/25 rankings after his hire at AZ, making your stats even more impressive?