Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT - Good Books to Read

OT - Good Books to Read

Since it has been a long time since I've seen a book thread and I love the suggestions some posters have made, he goes my list to read before the football season heats up:
    Russian Revolution by Sean McMeekin - or any other book by him.
    Kamikaze Hunters by Will Iredale - the British Navy in WW II in the Pacific.
    What the Hell Just Happened (2016 election) by the inimitable PJ O'Rourke
    Shattered - Why Clinton lost - by Jonathan Martin.
    African Kaiser by Robert Gaudi - story of Lettow von Vorbek the German Guerilla leader in East Africa in WW I
    Earning the Rockies by Robert Kaplan - or any of his other books always first rate imo.
    Apache Wars by Paul Hutton for someone like me who knows little Western history it was great.
    American Heiress (Patty Hearst - Cal connection) by Jeffrey Toobin. The only person in US history ever to have her sentence commuted (by Carter) and then be pardoned (by Clinton). She didn't deserve either one.
    1916 A Global History by Keith Jeffrey - tour d' horizon of WWI in all theaters.
    Titan (John D Rockerfeller) by Ron Chernow - or any of his other books esp Hamilton.
    The Fleet at Flood Tide (USNavy near end of WWII) by James Hornfischer - or any other book by him.
    1948 (Dewey another bad campainer who sat on a lead) by David Pietrusza
    The Vanquished (the refugees and other disruptions after WWI) by Robert Gerwath
    The Man With the Poison Gun (Russian Cold War assasination of an opponent- what's new) by Serhi Polkhy or his other books.

I'm currently reading Behave: The Biology of Humans at our Best and Worst, which is about human behavior and how our actions come to be from the perspective of how our brains develop and work and how evolution shapes us. This is closer to science than I usually read but I am finding it fascinating. I wish I could describe it better.

Real Bear
    East of Tomales Bay; west of Eagle Lake; south of Sauvie Island; north of Pismo Beach
    OT - Good Books to Read

"The Seven Sisters: The Great Oil Companies and the World They Shaped" by Anthony Sampson (1975)

"Where the Bluebird Sings to the Lemonade Springs" by Wallace Stegner (1992)

"America's Unwritten Constitution: The Precedents and Principles We Live By" by Akhil Reed Amar (2012)

"The Undoing Project: A Friendship That Changed Our Minds" by Michael Lewis (2016)
    Last edited by joe yaks; 06-14-2017 at 05:38 AM.

I forgot to add Anonymous Soldiers by Bruce Hoffman - the story of the Irgun and Stern gangs and how they made terrorism work for the Zionists in post-WWII Palestine so that the British would leave. Two of the terrorists became Prime Ministers of Israel (Begin and Shamir) even though many of the first leaders of Israel (Ben-Gurion and Golda Meier) had condemned them as terrorists. Begin's autobiography (a real how-to book on being a successful terrorist according to Hoffman) was found in the library of the Al Queda hq when our Army invaded Afghanistan.
    I am now reading and enjoying Mark Bowden's Hue 1968 - I also like a lot of his other books.

True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars Out here we is stoned – immaculate. J. Morrison

Last edited by bearister; 06-12-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Top of my head that I recommend to anyone:
    Every Day I Fight- Stuart Scott's book- must read
    When Breath Becomes Air- Paul Kalanithi must read
    Lust for Life- Van Gogh bio (I love his work)
    The Agony and the Ecstacy: Michelangelo

Others that I really enjoyed:
    Unbroken
    Just Mercy
    Hillbilly Elegy
    Madame President

Clinton Cash

Boys in the Boat, for sure. About UW crew's battles with Cal in the depression era and their quest to represent the US in the '36 Olympics in Germany. Fascinating book. Didn't know till reading it that all-Cal crew teams won gold medals in the 8's in two different olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    Boys in the Boat, for sure. About UW crew's battles with Cal in the depression era and their quest to represent the US in the '36 Olympics in Germany. Fascinating book. Didn't know till reading it that all-Cal crew teams won gold medals in the 8's in two different olympics.
    I've heard that book from people who aren't even sports fans, so I have to focus on reading that.
    The other book that always comes up in these kind of threads: Goat Brothers...almost a must for any Cal grad, no matter your age.
    I am not a S. King reader normally, but one of my all time fav books: "11/22/63"

[QUOTE=bearister;842846042]

[QUOTE]

It's amazing that T.J. Stiles, winner of 2 Pulitzers for biography, a midwesterner who can live in any city he wants, has chosen to live in the city that every on this board hates so passionately.

Bears won gold in three Olympics: 1928, 1932, and 1948. A family friend was a light weight rower for UW. After one of the annual ritualistic UW football beatings in the '70s and '80s, I pointed out an oar from the '28 Olympics at our house. He calmly replied he knew all 9 UW (including the coxswain) medalists who beat down the Nazis in Berlin since they were classmates/teammates/friends. Didn't know their story until the (terrific) book was published.

All the President's Men

Quote Originally Posted by BearDevil View Post
    Bears won gold in three Olympics: 1928, 1932, and 1948. A family friend was a light weight rower for UW. After one of the annual ritualistic UW football beatings in the '70s and '80s, I pointed out an oar from the '28 Olympics at our house. He calmly replied he knew all 9 UW (including the coxswain) medalists who beat down the Nazis in Berlin since they were classmates/teammates/friends. Didn't know their story until the (terrific) book was published.
    Cool! Did you have a family member on the Olympic team?

The book captures the helplessness of the depression era so well. Usually it takes a chapter or two to warm up a reader but this one's fascinating right from the start.

Cool! Did you have a family member on the Olympic team?

The book captures the helplessness of the depression era so well. Usually it takes a chapter or two to warm up a reader but this one's fascinating right from the start.
    Only an elderly fraternity brother. My dad had a college friend who medaled in Berlin. One of my mom's high school friends from Oakland was a Cal student who made the 1940 Olympic team. USOC sent her an opening ceremony outfit during the 1996 Olympics to acknowledge a lost opportunity.

Our family friend wasn't specifically mentioned in the book, but was probably tangentially alluded to. His dad was UW Dean of Engineering, so their family was relatively well off during the Depression. Still had some great stories about skimming bootleg booze from rafts in Puget Sound during Prohobition.

I'm just finishing "A Fine Mess" (T. R. Reid), an entertaining treatise on the U. S. tax structure. For offbeat treatment of crime fiction, the "Harpur/Iles" series by Bill James will appeal to a certain taste, especially the earlier volumes. Another that just I just remembered: "News of the World" (Paulette Jiles).
    Last edited by 59bear; 06-13-2017 at 01:47 PM.
    Access is better than ownership!