Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No more Chauca

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    Cal had 2 open scholarships even with Chauca on the roster. Whatever way you spin it, it's a run-off. Let's be real.
    I believe your interpretation, but I don't understand why it happened. Unless Cal was bring in 3 more players THIS YEAR, they did not need his scholarship. Why not keep him around as a practice player? What am I missing?

Sluggo

Quote Originally Posted by sluggo_Cal View Post
    I believe your interpretation, but I don't understand why it happened. Unless Cal was bring in 3 more players THIS YEAR, they did not need his scholarship. Why not keep him around as a practice player? What am I missing?

Sluggo
    He may have been told that it was highly unlikely he would get minutes. McNeil may be in the wings. Thus he may have been told his only minutes - at best - would be walk on'eque (and even then there may be BETTER walk ons in the wings). Then the question is what is in the young man's interest to practice and dedicate the time or get geared up for graduating, LSAT and law school. If I am Brandon that is a no brainer decision.

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    Cal had 2 open scholarships even with Chauca on the roster. Whatever way you spin it, it's a run-off. Let's be real.
    Not a "spin" at all, but yes a run off, in that Player's believe they "have it' to contribute etc. When this occurs it's best to trust the Head Coach. These decision's arise after
    careful review and internal discussions. Wyking is an demanding yet compassionate coach, this decision was made for all of the right reasons. While certainly an blow and
    disappointment to BC, he does retain his scholarship and thus is able to pay for his schooling/housing to complete his course load (including this summer) and earn his degree.

And yes the hope is that another PG can gain admittance over this summer. The offer is out and it requires the prospect to be released from an earlier LOI.
    This staff is solid, and hopefully people realize that this upcoming season will be extremely difficult, given the current roster. However the program is being set up for very good
    success over the next couple of years. The key will be getting the ball to advance versus pressure and utilize Marcus Lee as much as is possible. We should not expect this team
    to finish above 8th place in league this coming season. If the team does, it will be due to the staff and players, maximizing their current talent and effort level for loose balls,
    rebounds and defensive pressure. Very young team, with results to occur over time.

So if Chauca needs a 5th year to graduate, he wont have a scholarship?

Quote Originally Posted by 4thGenCal View Post
    Not a "spin" at all, but yes a run off, in that Player's believe they "have it' to contribute etc. When this occurs it's best to trust the Head Coach. These decision's arise after
    careful review and internal discussions. Wyking is an demanding yet compassionate coach, this decision was made for all of the right reasons. While certainly an blow and
    disappointment to BC, he does retain his scholarship and thus is able to pay for his schooling/housing to complete his course load (including this summer) and earn his degree.

And yes the hope is that another PG can gain admittance over this summer. The offer is out and it requires the prospect to be released from an earlier LOI.
    This staff is solid, and hopefully people realize that this upcoming season will be extremely difficult, given the current roster. However the program is being set up for very good
    success over the next couple of years. The key will be getting the ball to advance versus pressure and utilize Marcus Lee as much as is possible. We should not expect this team
    to finish above 8th place in league this coming season. If the team does, it will be due to the staff and players, maximizing their current talent and effort level for loose balls,
    rebounds and defensive pressure. Very young team, with results to occur over time.
    I agree with this assessment. It places a great deal of pressure on the staff to recruit well in the early signing period. It would be best if they can sign all (most) of the 2018 class in November. If the team struggles it will be harder to secure commitments in the Spring.

I wasn't aware of this rule either, but if the situation is as described, I think it's a great solution, because it gives the player clear options. If Brandon thinks his future is clearly outside athletics, then it makes sense for him to use the non-playing scholarship year, beef up his academics as much as possible, and move on to law school or something else. If he'd rather pursue athletic ambitions, then it also gives him the option of seeking a transfer where he'll get more playing time than the coach projected for him here. I think we're obligated to do as much as we can by the players as student-athletes--which doesn't include providing guaranteed playing time that's not envisioned based on the player's skills relative to the rest of the roster. I feel certain that Coach Cal, donut boy or other coaches don't even consider this approach for their players. They just recruit over and let the player deal with the consequences.

Is this really an (obscure) NCAA rule or a positive spin on recently revised PAC and B1G four year guarantees on athletic scholarships? Sucked when Notre Dame hosed Forsett near the signing deadline, but Cal clearly benefited from that blunder. No apparent scholly crunch, so an extra semester of out of state tuition isn't great if he doesn't graduate on tiime, but not a complete screw job either.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 89Bear View Post
    Missouri
    Kansas.

In all seriousness, good luck to Brandon, who seemed to be a great kid. That story about him and Jaylen should tell us all we need to know about him. Thanks for your time at Cal.