Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ivan Rabb and other NBA Draft News

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryCanyon View Post
    Martin did Ivan no favors by sitting him on the bench with a non-existent foot injury.
    Ivan's decision not CM

First off, the NBA draft predictions are done by bloggers, NOT NBA GMs. In fact, some of it comes from conversations with GMs, who intentionally mislead the bloggers in order to hide a gem they hope to get with a later pick.

Second, compare Ivan to Draymond Green coming out of college (not today, but when he was drafted in the second round). Draymond has demonstrated his ability to change and improve. Anyone looking deeper into Ivan would see the same attributes.

Finally, I think Ivan has always been a late first round pick. When he came to Cal, he did NOT dominate. Whether that is due to coaching or him is irrelevant. Lottery picks either dominate or are 7 foot tall. Personally, I think Ivan would be fortunate to be drafted by many of the teams that are picking late in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
    Here is the thing - Ivan can shoot threes. Possibly as well as Kevin Love could coming out of UCLA.
    Paleeeze. Ivan took only took a handful of uncontested threes with his toe just behind the line. Love was an actual threat from deep.

ivan is not listed anywhere on this page of top 25 picks, and there are more than 10 people's lists.

https://www.libertyballers.com/2017/...jonathan-isaac

I still think he goes first round

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    ivan is not listed anywhere on this page of top 25 picks, and there are more than 10 people's lists.

https://www.libertyballers.com/2017/...jonathan-isaac
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

Quote Originally Posted by Civil Bear View Post
    Paleeeze. Ivan took only took a handful of uncontested threes with his toe just behind the line. Love was an actual threat from deep.
    Love averaged .7 threes during his one season in college. Ivan averaged .6. Next

Ivan averaged 0.3 made, not 0.6. Ivan had a higher percentage though

Since this site is about the NBA draft, interesting to read the speculation about the top of the draft.

One viewing sticks in my mind. It is how thoroughly Fox of Kentucky outplayed Ball of UCLA. Fox is extremely fast and athletic, more so than Ball. Fox's limitations have to do with his weird jump shot and his inaccuracy with it from distance.

So the question is can he improve his form and develop NBA quality accuracy from distance?

It will be fun to see how the top of the draft plays out. Just read in the Washington Post that Boston might take the kid from Kansas, not Fultz. And what about possible trades on draft day?

My views on Lonzo Ball earlier that he should focus on preparing to enter NBA.... not to get sidetracked on
    Ball shoe..... or sucked into activities that take his focus off "job 1".

The fact he underwhelmed Magic/Lakers management in his 1st workout... due to signs he was not properly conditioned is not exactly getting out of gate on right foot.

Add to Ball's last game with UCLA was not exactly the impression one wants to give any GM.

No entitlement points, work hard and prepare /improve one's game.... Ball has no end of season injury to slow down his preparation for team workouts and/or NBA summer league games..

I like Lonzo's game, but he better recognize no substitute for hard work..

I like Ivan's no regrets approach... and stands by his decision to return for 2nd year.. Irrespective to where he ends up in draft, he wants to work hard and improve his game for team that selects him.

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
    Love averaged .7 threes during his one season in college. Ivan averaged .6. Next
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by BeachedBear View Post
    First off, the NBA draft predictions are done by bloggers, NOT NBA GMs. In fact, some of it comes from conversations with GMs, who intentionally mislead the bloggers in order to hide a gem they hope to get with a later pick.

Second, compare Ivan to Draymond Green coming out of college (not today, but when he was drafted in the second round). Draymond has demonstrated his ability to change and improve. Anyone looking deeper into Ivan would see the same attributes.

Finally, I think Ivan has always been a late first round pick. When he came to Cal, he did NOT dominate. Whether that is due to coaching or him is irrelevant. Lottery picks either dominate or are 7 foot tall. Personally, I think Ivan would be fortunate to be drafted by many of the teams that are picking late in the first round.
    Draymond Green's ascendance is so rare, it's almost unfair to compare anyone to him. However, I agree that, in three years, Ivan could have a game that we never saw while he was here.

Besides domination and huge size, a third quality that can get a player chosen in the lottery is mind-blowing athleticism. Case in point would be Jaylen Brown, who looked dominant on about 100 plays in college, but in no way, shape or form could be called a dominant player. Other recent, in-state examples would be UCLA's Zach Lavine and U$C's DeMar DeRozan.
    Last edited by Big C_Cal; 06-16-2017 at 10:34 AM.

Brown was coached by Martin. Boston knew that.

I think the comparison to Draymond is not realistic. Draymond is an unusual beast of physicality, a really strong guy, who revels in stretching to the limits what an NBA player can get away with in his physical jousting with his rival players.

Does that sound anything like Ivan?

Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    I think the comparison to Draymond is not realistic. Draymond is an unusual beast of physicality, a really strong guy, who revels in stretching to the limits what an NBA player can get away with in his physical jousting with his rival players.

Does that sound anything like Ivan?
    You missed the point that Big C caught. I'm not comparing Ivan to Draymond as players. I'm comparing their perception by NBA bloggers when they left college before they were drafted and their ability to improve their game. Although Ivan did not change his game that much at Cal (due to coaching IMHO), he seems to be humble and dedicated enough to change.

You missed the point that Big C caught. I'm not comparing Ivan to Draymond as players. I'm comparing their perception by NBA bloggers when they left college before they were drafted and their ability to improve their game. Although Ivan did not change his game that much at Cal (due to coaching IMHO), he seems to be humble and dedicated enough to change.
    I get it now.

As for Ivan's ability to improve his game, we shall see. I hope he can and will.