Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article on Rodgers making up with Cal

More late degrees: Jahvid Best and Andre Carter.

BTW, Biondi's son Nate will be swimming for Cal next year and Matt will be a lot more involved with the program. Being an avid swim fan, I'm sure you knew that, BD, but most others probably hadn't heard.

There will also be another really cool celebrity offspring addition to one of the programs in 2017 but that's to be revealed in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    More late degrees: Jahvid Best and Andre Carter.

BTW, Biondi's son Nate will be swimming for Cal next year and Matt will be a lot more involved with the program. Being an avid swim fan, I'm sure you knew that, BD, but most others probably hadn't heard.

There will also be another really cool celebrity offspring addition to one of the programs in 2017 but that's to be revealed in the near future.
    Can you give us hint, is the celebrity from the sports world or Hollywood?

Quote Originally Posted by okaydo View Post
    The Merc reporter's first story was technically accurate. He used the word "apparently," as in "Rodgers apparently enrolling at Cal."

Which, yes, he apparently did by saying he was returning to school in multiple tweets.

But as the article pointed out (which I contacted the writer about) the Packers training camp conflicts with Summer School.

The second article is misleading because -- as I've pointed out time and time again -- Rodgers started his years-long "Butte" thing during the final years of the Tedford era.

And he went back to saying "Cal" last season, which was of course during the Dykes era.
    Facts, schmacts. Who needs facts when you have a half-baked theory to support? As has been pointed out, and people here should remember (cuz it was a big deal at the time), AR never did much if anything with Cal after he declared for the draft to now. Yes apparently he was upset that JT was fired (and tweeted as much), but from 2005-2012 when JT was the coach, AR couldn't be bothered to acknowledge his alma mater, much less do anything for the coach he supposedly loved.

And as was also mentioned (at the time) AR warmed up to Cal last year (actually a little before that). Dykes made a concerted effort to engage with FB alumni, something Mike P said several times on the radio. And a lot of alumni did return, including many from JTs era (Lynch being the most famous). Did that have something to do with AR returning? Probably.

Yes AR has a great rapport with Wilcox and I'm thrilled he's back, but the story that he bailed BC JT was fired is hogwash. If anything it was more like AR didn't show up for JT when Coach could have used the help. And I don't think that would be entirely accurate either, though more so than the other narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Uthaithani View Post
    Facts, schmacts. Who needs facts when you have a half-baked theory to support? As has been pointed out, and people here should remember (cuz it was a big deal at the time), AR never did much if anything with Cal after he declared for the draft to now. Yes apparently he was upset that JT was fired (and tweeted as much), but from 2005-2012 when JT was the coach, AR couldn't be bothered to acknowledge his alma mater, much less do anything for the coach he supposedly loved.

And as was also mentioned (at the time) AR warmed up to Cal last year (actually a little before that). Dykes made a concerted effort to engage with FB alumni, something Mike P said several times on the radio. And a lot of alumni did return, including many from JTs era (Lynch being the most famous). Did that have something to do with AR returning? Probably.

Yes AR has a great rapport with Wilcox and I'm thrilled he's back, but the story that he bailed BC JT was fired is hogwash. If anything it was more like AR didn't show up for JT when Coach could have used the help. And I don't think that would be entirely accurate either, though more so than the other narrative.

How much could Rodgers do? He has his own life and his own career to deal with! Not everybody could be Marshawn Lynch and hang out with the young kids forever and ever. Even Marshawn Lynch wasn't Marshawn Lynch until the past few years.

All I know is that you are wrong that Rodgers "couldn't be bothered to acknowledge his alma mater" between 2005 and 2012.

You see these photos/screenshots below?

These screenshots were taken on October 13, 2007, after our No. 2 team in the nation fell to Oregon State, losing out on becoming the No. 1 team.

It is arguably Tedford's darkest moment at Cal -- well, until the final season.

Now you see these screenshots/photos below?

They were taken 1 week later, on October 20, 2007.

One week after Tedford's meltdown, Aaron Rodgers came out, on his bye week, to the Rose Bowl to support his former coach.

Quote Originally Posted by BearDevil View Post
    Why would you say Marshawn is lukewarm toward Cal? Definitely loves Oakland more, but travelled to Oz with the team, frequently shows up on campus, and monetized Cal via his clothing line. Would love to see him finish his degree (same for AR, Kidd, DeSean, Rabb, and Jaylen), but personally fine with Marshawn's relationship with Cal.
    . Did he click 3 times with Ruby slippers?

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Sports. Legendary figure.
    Eddie the Eagle?

Btw, I've been trying to reach out to Matt Biondi (who is a teacher on the Big Island) to come speak to alums on Oahu, but I think he's kind of a recluse.

Quote Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
    Btw, I've been trying to reach out to Matt Biondi (who is a teacher on the Big Island) to come speak to alums on Oahu, but I think he's kind of a recluse.
    Biondis now live in SoCal. Matt coached his son at Sierra Canyon (same high school as the top ranked 2018 hoops recruit Marvin Bagley).

Quote Originally Posted by BearDevil View Post
    Biondis now live in SoCal. Matt coached his son at Sierra Canyon (same high school as the top ranked 2018 hoops recruit Marvin Bagley).
    Yeah, Matt's a pretty shy guy. I think they're supposed to move back up to NorCal when their son gets to Cal.

We went to middle school together and played on an amazing flag football team together in 8th grade. We went 10-0 and outscored opponents 383-20. Lots of collegiate and pro athletes came from such a small team.

Yeah, Matt's a pretty shy guy. I think they're supposed to move back up to NorCal when their son gets to Cal.

We went to middle school together and played on an amazing flag football team together in 8th grade. We went 10-0 and outscored opponents 383-20. Lots of collegiate and pro athletes came from such a small team.

Cool pic! Care to identify two or more people in the photo? Total guess, is Biondi in the back, 2nd from left? Was he a good all-around athlete? IIRC, he is around 6-6, right?

Biondi's 1st row, 2nd from left. He was just my size then. He grew a ton in high school and ended up @6'7. Very good athlete. Next to him is Paul Faries, who played in MLB for @8 years. Ron DeLucchi (2nd from left in the back) was the #13 pick overall in the first round of the MLB draft right out of high school. Incredible athlete in any sport. Two others in the back were 6-2/185 linemen in 8th grade. The guy in the middle back played strong safety at Vandy. Another was the starting catcher at Pepperdine.

Just got together with the coach in the photo, Jim Colvin, for lunch last month. He's a legend. He lives down in San Luis Obispo where my daughter's in school.

Quote Originally Posted by okaydo View Post
    And he went back to saying "Cal" last season, which was of course during the Dykes era.
    I'm surprised you aren't tying this to Munn somehow.

-kap
    insert witty signature here.