Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 42

Thread: Article on Rodgers making up with Cal

  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by calbear93 View Post
    When I have overreacted in the past when this is the first time I really have posted on this topic? It has been over 10 years since he graduated. How many times has he visited Cal? If all that didn't matter, why do we care now whether he vists or says Cal. I don't really care. How is that whining? The only one who seems to be whining is you. All I said was that, after 10 years, I don't really care whether he forgives Cal for any perceived wrongs or not. How is that over-reacting.

    Really, considering that this was my first post on this, you seem to be the one overreacting with your rant, no?
    Delicious

  2. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by dajo9 View Post
    Delicious
    You just can't quit me, can you? Just because people rarely respond to your post, you feel the need to butt in. Just hush.

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by calbear93 View Post
    It is irrelevant, don't write "you have been". Why is it an overreaction to state that I don't care whether he forgives or not? I am indifferent. And don't presume to be able to read my mind. You talk out of turn way too often without knowing what you are talking about. How do you know that I have been holding this opinion? It disappointed me when he didn't say Cal the first time because it seemed odd and I found it very insulting for Cal, but it didn't matter that much to me in the big scheme of things. I just didn't care that much about his connection to Cal if he didn't care.

    I get excited when Lynch promotes Cal. I just don't care that Rodgers feels like it is now the right time to visit his school. It seems like an overreaction to say everyone has to care.

    So, should I write that you are, and you always have been, riding his jock strap? Not because you have, but because some people have in the past, and you fit the bill now.
    In your first post you said: " It was extremely insulting and a negative for our recruiting that one of our most famous players refused to say he attended Cal (and most people already knew he attended Cal and, therefore, may have drawn the conclusion that going to Cal was not rewarding)."

    So, yeah, I feel confident saying you've held that opinion.

  4. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmastapoop View Post
    In your first post you said: " It was extremely insulting and a negative for our recruiting that one of our most famous players refused to say he attended Cal (and most people already knew he attended Cal and, therefore, may have drawn the conclusion that going to Cal was not rewarding)."

    So, yeah, I feel confident saying you've held that opinion.
    Being confident and being right are two different things. Just because I thought that it was insulting for Cal the first time he did this doesn't mean that I have been harboring that thought. What part of I don't care what he does with Cal is unclear to you?

    Why don't you stop presuming to know what other people think. You are not that clever.

  5. #20
    True Blue Golden Bear okaydo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bearilinga, CA
    Posts
    22,285
    Rodgers' last visit to campus was in the offseason in 2012. He took a pic was one of our players. He saw the new facilities.

    It was just before Tedford's last season.

    Rodgers avoided the entirety of the Dykes era. During that time, he never denounced Cal. But he never embraced Sonny Dykes, or didn't want to be seen embracing him.

    Actually, during that time, he spoke rather glowingly of his time living in a dangerous neighborhood in Berkeley.

    He also gave a shout-out to Kevin Parker.

    The Butte thing lasted from around 2011 to the first game of 2016. (He started saying Çal, I believe, with the Packers' second Sunday Night Football game last season.)


    This is how much Rodgers hates Cal....


  6. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by okaydo View Post
    Rodgers' last visit to campus was in the offseason in 2012. He took a pic was one of our players. He saw the new facilities.

    It was just before Tedford's last season.

    Rodgers avoided the entirety of the Dykes era. During that time, he never denounced Cal. But he never embraced Sonny Dykes, or didn't want to be seen embracing him.
    OK, fair enough. I was wrong about when he last visited. I just haven't been tracking his connection to Cal because I stopped caring that much either way when it seemed as if Cal wasn't that important to him.

    If what you wrote is true, then why are there articles on Rodgers making up with Cal? That was the part that I was responding to. If he just made up with Cal now, then it doesn't move the needle with me. If there was nothing to forgive, I don't really care either. That was just my personal reaction, neither right nor wrong.

  7. #22
    True Blue Golden Bear okaydo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bearilinga, CA
    Posts
    22,285
    Quote Originally Posted by calbear93 View Post
    OK, fair enough. I was wrong about when he last visited. I just haven't been tracking his connection to Cal because I stopped caring that much either way when it seemed as if Cal wasn't that important to him.

    If what you wrote is true, then why are there articles on Rodgers making up with Cal? That was the part that I was responding to. If he just made up with Cal now, then it doesn't move the needle with me. If there was nothing to forgive, I don't really care either. That was just my personal reaction, neither right nor wrong.
    Like a lot of famous alums, Rodgers visited frequently in his years after leaving Cal.

    I mean, how many times did Tony Gonzalez visit during the Tedford era? (I remember him visiting at least once, during spring camp?)

    Rodgers watched Joe Ayoob play in 2005. He was at the Rose Bowl when we lost to UCLA in 2007 near the beginning of our freefall. I believe the last game he attended (with teammate Desmond Bishop) was vs. Oregon in 2010. But, as he would complain, Cal would always lose when he was at the game.

    As for the "making up" part, people tended to notice him saying "Butte" and -- again, wrongly -- thought that started with the firing of Tedford. So him being back at Cal looks like him making up. And I guess it does.

  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by calbear93 View Post
    At this point, I really don't care. There has rarely been any other player in this generation (other than possibly Lynch) who received so much love from Cal alums and who did so little to return the loyalty. It was extremely insulting and a negative for our recruiting that one of our most famous players refused to say he attended Cal (and most people already knew he attended Cal and, therefore, may have drawn the conclusion that going to Cal was not rewarding). If he wants to make up with Cal, fine. If he doesn't, that's fine as well. I hope most Cal fans are done with hoping he returns the loyalty he received from Cal fans.
    Why would you say Marshawn is lukewarm toward Cal? Definitely loves Oakland more, but travelled to Oz with the team, frequently shows up on campus, and monetized Cal via his clothing line. Would love to see him finish his degree (same for AR, Kidd, DeSean, Rabb, and Jaylen), but personally fine with Marshawn's relationship with Cal.

  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by calbear93 View Post
    Being confident and being right are two different things. Just because I thought that it was insulting for Cal the first time he did this doesn't mean that I have been harboring that thought. What part of I don't care what he does with Cal is unclear to you?

    Why don't you stop presuming to know what other people think. You are not that clever.
    Nah, I'm good. I'll add - I am tickled by the fact you are this upset about my use of "have been". I'll note you don't disagree the people complaining about him over the years are whiny, and make us look bad.
    Last edited by grandmastapoop; 06-15-2017 at 11:55 AM.

  10. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by okaydo View Post
    Like a lot of famous alums, Rodgers visited frequently in his years after leaving Cal.

    I mean, how many times did Tony Gonzalez visit during the Tedford era? (I remember him visiting at least once, during spring camp?)

    Rodgers watched Joe Ayoob play in 2005. He was at the Rose Bowl when we lost to UCLA in 2007 near the beginning of our freefall. I believe the last game he attended (with teammate Desmond Bishop) was vs. Oregon in 2010. But, as he would complain, Cal would always lose when he was at the game.

    As for the "making up" part, people tended to notice him saying "Butte" and -- again, wrongly -- thought that started with the firing of Tedford. So him being back at Cal looks like him making up. And I guess it does.
    OK. Seems like the drama with Rodgers was manufactured in large part.

    I like Tony Gonzalez, and I think he was great for us in basketball and football. I also know that he didn't visit us that much or was an avid fan like maybe Lynch is with us or Peyton is with the Volunteers. As such, I don't see the obsession on this board with Gonzalez, and I don't think most of us would care that much if Tony visited us. It would be nice, but not that newsworthy.

    There does seem to be a bit more focus on Rodgers. Even though he did explain why he said Butte (more as a sign of respect for the CC than a sign of disrespect for Cal), because it was so odd, it was insulting for Cal (from my perspective) and I stopped caring about his connection to Cal as I otherwise would have if he represented us in the same way that Lynch does. I don't dislike Rodgers. I love what he did for us in almost taking us to the Rose Bowl. However, he is no more special to me than Tony Gonzalez.

  11. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by BearDevil View Post
    Why would you say Marshawn is lukewarm toward Cal? Definitely loves Oakland more, but travelled to Oz with the team, frequently shows up on campus, and monetized Cal via his clothing line. Would love to see him finish his degree (same for AR, Kidd, DeSean, Rabb, and Jaylen), but personally fine with Marshawn's relationship with Cal.
    My point is that, other than Lynch, no player of this generation has received as much love from Cal fans as Rodgers has. I love Lynch, and I think he does a great job of representing Cal. Sorry about the confusion, but my point is that only Lynch compares to Rodgers in our obsessions with former players. I did not mean to state that Lynch has been somewhat aloof when it comes to Cal as Rodgers has been.
    Last edited by calbear93; 06-15-2017 at 12:06 PM.

  12. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmastapoop View Post
    Nah, I'm good. I'll add - I am tickled by the fact you are this upset about my use of "have been". I'll note you don't disagree the people complaining about him over the years are whiny, and make us look bad.
    I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I would lean toward the complaints not making us look bad. Who cares? Your disdain for those fans seems to be the true overreaction.

    I do find it insulting for you to write "you have been" when that was my first post on the topic. That clause was completely unnecessary for you to make your point in response to mine. I am even OK with you saying my indifference is an overreaction (which is an odd thing to claim). Your false statement about what I did and then weaseling into a statement that you were just lumping me with all others is stupid. I hope you know that.
    Last edited by calbear93; 06-15-2017 at 12:08 PM.

  13. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by calbear93 View Post
    I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I would lean toward the complaints not making us look bad. Who cares? Your disdain for those fans seem to be the true overreaction.

    I do find it insulting for you to write "you have been" when that was my first post on the topic. That clause was completely unnecessary for you to make your point in response to mine. I am even OK with you saying my indifference is an overreaction (which is odd thing to claim). Your false statement about what I did and then weasel that into a statement that you were lumping me with all others is stupid. I think you know that.
    As I said in my second post - I cannot keep straight the dozens who have posted on this topic over the years. I don't think anything I said in this thread was stupid, though I agree my "have been" clause was unnecessary. I apologize for lumping you in with those people who have complained about this over the years. I made an assumption, and it was apparently a bad one.

  14. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmastapoop View Post
    As I said in my second post - I cannot keep straight the dozens who have posted on this topic over the years. I don't think anything I said in this thread was stupid, though I agree my "have been" clause was unnecessary. I apologize for lumping you in with those people who have complained about this over the years. I made an assumption, and it was apparently a bad one.
    All good.

  15. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by calbear93 View Post
    My point is that, other than Lynch, no player of this generation has received as much love from Cal fans as Rodgers has. I love Lynch, and I think he does a great job of representing Cal. Sorry about the confusion, but my point is that only Lynch compares to Rodgers in our obsessions with former players. I did not mean to state that Lynch has been somewhat aloof when it comes to Cal as Rodgers has been.
    Thanks for clarifying. Would love it if every Cal athlete loved Cal as much as I do, but not all do. Not everyone is Ron Rivera, but degrees after the fact (Shareef, Missy) and legacies (Kapp, Biondi) matter. Plenty of room for AR, Marshawn, and Powe.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •