Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wyking on Jon Rothstein's Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by philbert View Post
    Worth a listen....
    Thanks, but it requires Flash. Is there a transcript?

Quote Originally Posted by philbert View Post
    Yeah; Wyking is worth listening to. I wonder if he would listen to the suggestion that he eliminate "you know" from his interviews. I think the discipline could be very beneficial in all sorts of areas - not just talking -- One thing that I liked a lot: He seems fully aware of the brutality of the criteria he faces, AND has the confidence and equanimity to deal with the massive imperfection with which he is going to start out -- although it is also clear that his experience has given him a good head start -- good man -- good head on his shoulders -- It will be interesting to see how his good perspective on the daunting challenge will hold up in the face of the beating he and his are likely to take while they get their sea legs -- It is their success in keeping their spirits high and their vision forward and upward while dealing with whatever odds on the particular nights and/or stretches that will make this upcoming season (and the next) interesting and, perhaps, inspiring. He WILL need more bigs, to spell King and Marcus this season, and to replace them with a full cohort in the following season. That strikes me as the major issue at this point. FWIW: My $0.02

Thanks for the link. I'm listening now.

Real Bear
    Good stuff. The way he answered questions was very diplomatic. I like what he's done so far. If he can pull in Brown and Penn Johnson or Jacobs Yaffa, then I think his prediction of really good team, year 2 is spot on.

Enjoyed that. Wyking gives good interview. He aggressively says Year 2 the Bears will make a splash.
    "Give 'em the axe. Where? Right in neck. There!"
    The California Axe Yell
    The proper response to, "We Want The Axe!"

Quote Originally Posted by mikecohen View Post
    Yeah; Wyking is worth listening to. I wonder if he would listen to the suggestion that he eliminate "you know" from his interviews. I think the discipline could be very beneficial in all sorts of areas - not just talking -- One thing that I liked a lot: He seems fully aware of the brutality of the criteria he faces, AND has the confidence and equanimity to deal with the massive imperfection with which he is going to start out -- although it is also clear that his experience has given him a good head start -- good man -- good head on his shoulders -- It will be interesting to see how his good perspective on the daunting challenge will hold up in the face of the beating he and his are likely to take while they get their sea legs -- It is their success in keeping their spirits high and their vision forward and upward while dealing with whatever odds on the particular nights and/or stretches that will make this upcoming season (and the next) interesting and, perhaps, inspiring. He WILL need more bigs, to spell King and Marcus this season, and to replace them with a full cohort in the following season. That strikes me as the major issue at this point. FWIW: My $0.02
    Agree. He seems well educated, well travelled, experienced, hard working, and well spoken excepting the "you know"....Not being of that generation that adopted and used it so often, I wonder if it is hard to break? Almost a moment of stalling while thinking? He certainly is not void of interesting thoughts. Any thoughts from those who grew up with "you know".

If Wyking is successful in the long run (assuming things improve) I hope he can pay back in loyalty to the opportunity Cal has given him. I think and hope that this turns out to be a good hire.

Real Bear
    You know, umm, it is hard to break.

Quote Originally Posted by OdontoBear66 View Post
    Agree. He seems well educated, well travelled, experienced, hard working, and well spoken excepting the "you know"....Not being of that generation that adopted and used it so often, I wonder if it is hard to break? Almost a moment of stalling while thinking? He certainly is not void of interesting thoughts. Any thoughts from those who grew up with "you know".

If Wyking is successful in the long run (assuming things improve) I hope he can pay back in loyalty to the opportunity Cal has given him. I think and hope that this turns out to be a good hire.
    I had a professor in law school that was brilliant and he must be in his eighties or close to it, and don't think he ever went two sentences without saying you know

Quote Originally Posted by OaktownBear View Post
    I had a professor in law school that was brilliant and he must be in his eighties or close to it, and don't think he ever went two sentences without saying you know
    Although it doesn't sound good, I have never assumed "you know" was related to education, but more like a "y'all" type speech usage. But it almost seemed adopted by that generation born from the sixties to eighties. I was wondering if it is one of those habits that is just hard to undo, or it is actually used to hesitate and think or some such.

I liked what he said about the Pitino influence. Paraphrasing: Give the opposition multiple defensive looks to throw them off their gameplan. Constant in-game adjustments are key---not just halftime. Never be surprised by the opponents' sets. He wants to press a lot.

Jones has had some great defensive mentors. Pitino has always implemented a great press d, Martin established a top tier man defense and O'Toole brings experience with the vaunted Syracuse zone.

Jones failed to mention Anticevich when rattling off the newcomers. I hope the kid can play. His highlights and stats leave something to be desired. But, the fact that he released Chauca may bode well for Anticevich. He could have pulled his offer when hired.
    Last edited by BC Calfan; 06-20-2017 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BC Calfan View Post
    I liked what he said about the Pitino influence. Paraphrasing: Give the opposition multiple defensive looks to throw them off their gameplan. Constant in-game adjustments are key---not just halftime. Never be surprised by the opponents' sets. He wants press a lot.

Jones has had some great defensive mentors. Pitino has always implemented a great press d, Martin established a top tier man defense and O'Toole brings has experience with the vaunted Syracuse zone.

Jones failed to mention Anticevich when rattling off the newcomers. I hope the kid can play. His highlights and stats leave something to be desired. But, the fact that he released Chauca may bode well for Anticevich. He could have pulled his offer when hired.
    He mentioned Anticevich as someone who would need to "step up" with the departure of Rooks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSouseFamily View Post
    He mentioned Anticevich as someone who would need to "step up" with the departure of Rooks.
    Missed that. Good to know.

I had an econ teacher in high school who was called Mr. In-a-sense because every sentence ended with "in a sense." My favorite: "That's exactly what I meant!...in a sense"

Bad as "you know" is, I'll take it over the seeming favorite of millenials: "totally!"