Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Andre Ward vs Sergey Kovalev II

Boxing is a joke. Why people bother is beyond me.

True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars Out here we is stoned – immaculate. J. Morrison
    Quote Originally Posted by Big C_Cal View Post
    .......(LOL, MacGregor and Mayweather: Instead of seeing them fight each other, I'd like to see Ward whup one right after the other on August 26th.)
    The MacGregor v Mayweather fight will be the biggest fraud since the Muhammad Ali vs. Antonio Inoki clown show in 1976. MMA fighters are substandard compared to boxers in stand up fighting. If they had a legitimate stand up only fight MacGregor wouldn't last a round. He would get destroyed like Ronda Rousey did when she fought better boxer Holly Holm. Since even the best boxer in the world can be clinched, if they allowed on mat fighting Mayweather would not last one round. I believe it is a stand up only fight so it has to be rigged somehow to make it last more than 60 seconds. With regard to the Pay Per View public: "Never give a sucker an even break."

Boxing is what separates us from the animals- nothing better than a great fight

Out here on the perimeter there are no stars Out here we is stoned – immaculate. J. Morrison
    Quote Originally Posted by GB54 View Post
    Boxing is what separates us from the animals- nothing better than a great fight
    I have always thought dueling was underrated....but never discharge your pistol at the sky, always go for the head shot.

Quote Originally Posted by bearister View Post
    I have always thought dueling was underrated....but never discharge your pistol at the sky, always go for the head shot.
    Dueling is why Hamilton is now our most up and coming founding father. The mothaf$cka dealt.

Quote Originally Posted by MinotStateBeav View Post
    The crowd is pro ward..but even they are yelling "Bullsh*t" lol Worst ref decision ever
    Kovalev was in serious trouble after the body shot. I guess the ref could've separated the fighters one last time. Could he have given Kovalev a "standing 8-count" and then let them continue? Maybe then, Kovalev is able to weather the round. Either way, though, I think it was a only matter of time. The TKO was legit.

I only saw the fight on MB's link (Thanks, btw!), but will watch it next week on HBO. It will be interesting to evaluate the "low blows", to see if they were really low, how many there were and if they were a factor.

The MacGregor v Mayweather fight will be the biggest fraud since the Muhammad Ali vs. Antonio Inoki clown show in 1976. MMA fighters are substandard compared to boxers in stand up fighting. If they had a legitimate stand up only fight MacGregor wouldn't last a round. He would get destroyed like Ronda Rousey did when she fought better boxer Holly Holm. Since even the best boxer in the world can be clinched, if they allowed on mat fighting Mayweather would not last one round. I believe it is a stand up only fight so it has to be rigged somehow to make it last more than 60 seconds. With regard to the Pay Per View public: "Never give a sucker an even break."

I think an elite mma fighter with strong takedown skills could often beat a good boxer but this fight is boxing rules, so no kicks or takedowns. If it were mma rules, I think McGregor would win. He'd keep the distance with big kicks then take Mayweather down after landing one.

McGregor's only there for a massive payday IMO and will be lucky to land a punch.

What will make it last longer than 60 seconds will be Mayweather taking his own sweet time to be sure he doesn't get caught by MacGregor's straight left (his only weapon) and thus eliminating any chance that MacGregor might have. The match has the potential to be a yawner, as Mayweather doesn't like to mix it up anyway.

I'd rather see MacGregor fight somebody like Canelo Alvarez, somebody who would really stand in there with him and trade blows. Now THAT wouldn't last longer than 60 seconds (with MacGregor ending up on his back). LOL, the MMA fans who keep saying, if it were a "real fight", MacGregor would "f*** him up". Duh, but it's not, it's boxing (which is a legit martial art, btw).

Quote Originally Posted by RaphaelAglietti View Post
    Boxing is a joke. Why people bother is beyond me.
    What don't you like about boxing? Is it the brutality, or the seeming randomness and politics involved in the judging and bout-making?

For all the bullsh*t in the sport, there are still great fights every year. Of course, some may not like the idea of "great fights".

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    I think an elite mma fighter with strong takedown skills could often beat a good boxer but this fight is boxing rules, so no kicks or takedowns. If it were mma rules, I think McGregor would win. He'd keep the distance with big kicks then take Mayweather down after landing one.

McGregor's only there for a massive payday IMO and will be lucky to land a punch.
    Someone with only elite boxing skills would stand virtually no chance under MMA rules against a good MMA fighter unless the boxer got a lucky KO punch in before he got clinched.

Someone with only elite boxing skills would stand virtually no chance under MMA rules against a good MMA fighter unless the boxer got a lucky KO punch in before he got clinched.
    Of course. The two sports are different enough to where, if it was MMA, no question MacGregor would win... and vice versa.

A lot of people don't understand the skill level involved in boxing. Freddie Roach was asked if he could help coach up MacGregor and he said, yeah, but he would need THREE YEARS to get him ready.

You're right Bearister. I don't even like Mayweather when he fights a regular fighter.-too much running. They won't get my money.

The Ward fight was pretty good-Kevin Durant in the front row.

Quote Originally Posted by Big C_Cal View Post
    Interesting fight... a clinic in some of the more subtle skills of the sport. Bottom line: One piece of boxing wisdom is that, however the first fight ends, there is only going to be more of the same in the rematch, i.e., Ward had Kovalev figured out in the second half of their first fight.

Two observations:

It will be interesting to measure and count up the "low blows", but Ward can really work the body. The shot that put Kovalev in trouble in the 8th (but where exactly did it land?) was maybe the most devastating body shot that I can recall in a major bout.

Where was all of Kovalev's vaunted power and dynamism tonight? His best weapon by far was his jab, which he scored well with, but there wasn't much else. Credit to Ward, though, who is very, very hard to hit. Damn, Andre Ward, though maybe not the most entertaining of fighters, especially to the non-aficionado, is an extremely talented and accomplished boxer.

(LOL, MacGregor and Mayweather: Instead of seeing them fight each other, I'd like to see Ward whup one right after the other on August 26th.)
    Roy Jones knocking out Virgil Hill is at the top of devastating body shots.

https://youtu.be/wfJ32vKuCYQ

good fight. kovalev has knockout power but ward neutralized it with superior boxing skills. ward is just a good ol fashioned tough boxer.

i wouldnt completely laugh about mcgregor. while i think he'll get outclassed, i think his left hand is the single most devestating punch of any fighter, mma or boxing today. can he land one? probably unlikely, but if Floyd runs into one, hes going down. floyd wont knock him out, so 12 rounds is still a long time to not get hit. one thing of note, floyd almost always has the reach advantage but mcgregor has a two inch advantage on floyd. mma fighters are used to throwing punches at longer distance because if they get inside they can get taken down, so to me thats the most interesting thing about that fight. mcgregor is used to throwing from the outside, while floyd is not used to having to come inside because he almost always has the reach
    Last edited by gobears725; 06-18-2017 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gobears725 View Post
    good fight. kovalev has knockout power but ward neutralized it with superior boxing skills. ward is just a good ol fashioned tough boxer.

i wouldnt completely laugh about mcgregor. while i think he'll get outclassed, i think his left hand is the single most devestating punch of any fighter, mma or boxing today. can he land one? probably unlikely, but if Floyd runs into one, hes going down. floyd wont knock him out, so 12 rounds is still a long time to not get hit. one thing of note, floyd almost always has the reach advantage but mcgregor has a two inch advantage on floyd. mma fighters are used to throwing punches at longer distance because if they get inside they can get taken down, so to me thats the most interesting thing about that fight. mcgregor is used to throwing from the outside, while floyd is not used to having to come inside because he almost always has the reach
    Some boxing expert said that because boxers have to wear 10 oz gloves, as opposed to the much smaller ones that MMA fighters wear (3 oz?), mcgregor's power will be a lot less.