Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So with the addition of Darius McNeill...

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    I don't think so. They'll get some. Doubt it will be lots, though.

The team could certainly use more depth at the 4 and 5 but college basketball has changed. You simply don't need two 6'10+ guys out there at once all the time to succeed. If Sueing, Anticevich, Davis and Welle can rebound, they'll be fine with 1 big on the floor. And McNeill, Winston and Harris-Dyson are all big guards that can rebound, too.
    Not just rebounding. Maybe even more importantly: Rim Protection, and otherwise guarding "Bigs". Draymond's showed it can be done. I haven't heard that one of the "other" new wings has that in their set.

Rim protection's much more a part of the NBA game than collegiate, IMO.

The team could certainly use more depth at the 4 and 5 but college basketball has changed. You simply don't need two 6'10+ guys out there at once all the time to succeed. If Sueing, Anticevich, Davis and Welle can rebound, they'll be fine with 1 big on the floor. And McNeill, Winston and Harris-Dyson are all big guards that can rebound, too.
    Perhaps you should forward this post to Cuonzo Martin.

I think Sueing will be the backup 4 because the other guys, well, ...

Sluggo

Rim protection's much more a part of the NBA game than collegiate, IMO.
    Only because they are better at it at this point, from having been at it longer. But looking back at the videos of the past NBA Championship series' in which the general level of play was substantially lower than now, and remembering the few games under Cuonzo when the whole team actually came together and played up to its potential (e.g., the blowout of Oregon here a couple years back), in which the level of play was raised considerably beyond most college games that I recall seeing, I think that the direction is clear: When greater levels are attained, the whole basketball world is on its tail. And, in any case, K2 were awfully proficient at it -- again, I don't remember many college teams at that level; and K2 were just beginning to scratch the surface of their own potential at this skill. And one has to assume that Marcus Lee is even better at that.
    Last edited by mikecohen; 06-23-2017 at 12:50 AM.

I don't think so. They'll get some. Doubt it will be lots, though.

This is true. It is dangerous however to only have 2 post defenders on your entire team.

Quote Originally Posted by mikecohen View Post
    But looking back at the videos of the past NBA Championship series' in which the general level of play was substantially lower than now
    Careful. You're sure to spawn a lengthy response, and ire, from SFCity.

The team could certainly use more depth at the 4 and 5 but college basketball has changed. You simply don't need two 6'10+ guys out there at once all the time to succeed.
    Please allow me to tease, but this sounds like talking outside both sides of one's mouth.

If I accept your hedge on the statement, you are saying Lee and King will rotate at the 5, and we'll play 4 guards out. Now that's an interesting concept!

Quote Originally Posted by sluggo_Cal View Post
    I think Sueing will be the backup 4 because the other guys, well, ...
    Or he might be the starting 4.

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    Please allow me to tease, but this sounds like talking outside both sides of one's mouth.

If I accept your hedge on the statement, you are saying Lee and King will rotate at the 5, and we'll play 4 guards out. Now that's an interesting concept!
    It is a concept that is very successful. Most teams play this way now. Open the floor up, avoid doubles in the post, give room for your penetrators to get to the rim, lots of ways to score on offense. It certainly is a style that recruits like to play.

Quote Originally Posted by 6956bear View Post
    It is a concept that is very successful. Most teams play this way now. Open the floor up, avoid doubles in the post, give room for your penetrators to get to the rim, lots of ways to score on offense. It certainly is a style that recruits like to play.
    I'm very much in support of an up-tempo game!
    Full court trapping, guard oriented, sure!

But you've got to be able to shoot really well. Do we have that?

Lmu, 40 mins of hell...
    Entertaining if nothing else.

I'm very much in support of an up-tempo game!
    Full court trapping, guard oriented, sure!

But you've got to be able to shoot really well. Do we have that?

Lmu, 40 mins of hell...
    Entertaining if nothing else.
    Wyking is installing his philosophy. He may not have all the pieces right now to be really good at this style of play but he is planning on selling it to recruits. Really hard to find to good big players. Especially big players that are truly ready to play. I think he can sell this style. The P12 having Oregon make the Final 4 and with 14 draftees last night show a league on the rise. I like the change. 2017 may be tough to watch at times, but it looks like Wyking and staff will be able to attract enough good players to form a good program.
    Last edited by 6956bear; 06-23-2017 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6956bear View Post
    Wyking is installing his philosophy. He may not have all the pieces right now to be really good at this style of play but he is planning on selling it to recruits. Really hard to find to good big players. Especially big players that are truly ready to play. I think he can sell this style. The P12 having Oregon make the championship game and with 14 draftees last night show a league on the rise. I like the change. 2017 may be tough to watch at times, but it looks like Wyking and staff will be able to attract enough good players to form a good program.
    Wyking has been succcessful in bringing in some good talent so far which makes me vastly more optimistic than I was when the change was made. But we are still a LONG ways from having the type of talent he needs to play the Louisville way if that's indeed what he'd like to replicate (and for good reason). We need a handful of tall, rangy, athletic big guys to play in order that way. To run the defense he'd want to run with the pressing, traps and switches, he needs need a lot of disruptive bodies like this. Now that the ship has been stabilized a bit (especially at lead guard), recruiting a bunch of long, rangy athletes is probably the next priority. And we'd likely need a lot of them because I'm guessing Wyking wants to use a 10 man bench like Pitino to keep up the intensity.

And I'm OK with that.

No, they're done for 2017.
    I don't want to get bodies just to get bodies. I'd rather spread the minutes around to the players I have, for development purposes, and save the scholarship spots for players I really want in the following year. We need to get the class balance in order going forward as part of the long-term plan for the program.

Does chauca receive a basketball scholarship this year?
    Didn't he leave the team?

I think that's the key, MB, with Cal able to fill their roster holes at guard and wing with their signees in 2017, and their commits for 2018. That enables Wyking & Co to focus on signing two bigs for 2018, when Lee and Okoroh are departed.