Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So with the addition of Darius McNeill...

Like I've been saying, don't be surprised if they eventually sign 3 more for '18, with one not being a 4 or 5, but still a Top 100 guy. And if that non-big commits before the 2 bigs, watch the fretting and panicking ensue...

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    Like I've been saying, don't be surprised if they eventually sign 3 more for '18, with one not being a 4 or 5, but still a Top 100 guy. And if that non-big commits before the 2 bigs, watch the fretting and panicking ensue...
    Personally I wouldn't fret about small ball if the team is full of top 100 players.

For once, that'll be a good problem to fret about.

I would love another top 100 wing. 2 good bigs as well. It would put Cal over the limit and someone would have to go either by their choice or the staffs choice. Sounds like Cal may be zeroing in on another commit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
    I don't want to get bodies just to get bodies. I'd rather spread the minutes around to the players I have, for development purposes, and save the scholarship spots for players I really want in the following year. We need to get the class balance in order going forward as part of the long-term plan for the program.
    One or two grad transfer post players would have surely helped this year's squad and I don't see how they in any way would have curtailed the other players' development as we only have two posts total and they're both Seniors. Surely having another serviceable 4 or 5 would have made practices better, and if they were grad transfers, they would in no way affect class balance.

Alas, as MB has pointed out, that is not to be.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkCityBear View Post
    One or two grad transfer post players would have surely helped this year's squad and I don't see how they in any way would have curtailed the other players' development as we only have two posts total and they're both Seniors. Surely having another serviceable 4 or 5 would have made practices better, and if they were grad transfers, they would in no way affect class balance.

Alas, as MB has pointed out, that is not to be.
    Yes a couple of grad transfers that can play 4 or 5 would have been welcome for this year. Class balance is likely to be achieved via transfers in and out and possibly a one and done or two in the future. You can never tell which players believe they are NBA prospects. Zach Collins ended up in the lottery and there is no way he expected to be in that position at the start of the season. Kobi Simmons made a decision to leave Arizona one which he may come to regret since he went undrafted. For now though the program needs players that can play. 2018 class is likely to be 5 deep.

We've been short on serviceable bigs for years now. A grad transfer 4 or 5 that is interested and eligible for a Cal grad program probably comes along once a decade.

What irks me is that the previous coach didn't get a single bread and butter type PF. If Cuonzo had signed a single 3 star developmental type true PF in the last few years, which I can't imagine would have been that difficult since other P12 schools have signed several in that span, we would likely have a serviceable back up PF now.

Quote Originally Posted by SFBear2012 View Post
    We've been short on serviceable bigs for years now. A grad transfer 4 or 5 that is interested and eligible for a Cal grad program probably comes along once a decade.

What irks me is that the previous coach didn't get a single bread and butter type PF. If Cuonzo had signed a single 3 star developmental type true PF in the last few years, which I can't imagine would have been that difficult since other P12 schools have signed several in that span, we would likely have a serviceable back up PF now.
    All true. Martin definitely left the cupboard bare.

Real Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkCityBear View Post
    All true. Martin definitely left the cupboard bare.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by SFBear2012 View Post

To be fair, Monty didn't recruit the 4 position that well, either, especially compared to the way he did at the other school he used to coach at, before Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by Big C_Cal View Post
    To be fair, Monty didn't recruit the 4 position that well, either, especially compared to the way he did at the other school he used to coach at, before Cal.
    That's an understatement, Monty could not recruit a good power forward for years. A remarkable record of failure for that position.

Monty's 4's were Sanders-Frison, 4/5 Bak, 4/5 Solomon, Kravish, Behrens and Rodriguez. So really, 3 productive 4's in six years.

Monty's 4's were Sanders-Frison, 4/5 Bak, 4/5 Solomon, Kravish, Behrens and Rodriguez. So really, 3 productive 4's in six years.
    I'd consider Kravish a center and Solomon really the only decent power forward Monty got. Sanders-Frison was John's recruit.

You can't really say a recruit was an assistant coach's recruit only, though if you want to go down that road, Monty hardly recruited at all. His rep as a coach helped all his assistants recruit, though.

You can't really say a recruit was an assistant coach's recruit only, though if you want to go down that road, Monty hardly recruited at all. His rep as a coach helped all his assistants recruit, though.
    It depends on the recruit (some players he actively recruited) but I give Monty little credit compared to Martin, Braun, and Jones (so far).