Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rabb reportedly has moved out of his Memphis apt and is coming back to CA

Rabb reportedly has moved out of his Memphis apt and is coming back to CA

either to get second opinions on the ankle or clear his mind before negotiations begin per The Outsiders podcast. trade not out of the question for rabb's side, oversees too.

this site is memphis based but obviously take with a grain of salt.

https://t.co/J8kFSSdHWW start it just past 2 min.
    Last edited by BEAST2324MODE; 07-19-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Internet rumor is that Rabb turned down the Grizzlies' two-way contract offer. Man, I hope this works out for Rabb.

If this is regarding a two-way contract offer, then here's an article about how they might not be great for players... Maybe Rabb's agents would prefer to have more flexibility than the two-way allows.

A two-way contract for the 35th pick is a bad deal. It's looking like Ivan should have stayed to rejuvenate his damaged stock. 2017 was not the year to enter the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    A two-way contract for the 35th pick is a bad deal. It's looking like Ivan should have stayed to rejuvenate his damaged stock. 2017 was not the year to enter the draft.
    If I understand the process right, Rabb does not have to sign the two way deal, and then Grizzlies would have to offer him the standard tender NBA contract for a second rounder- and if they don't want to keep him on the 15 man NBA roster, they'd have to waive him, thus forfeiting their 2nd round pick and making him available to any team. If he signs the two way deal, only the grizzles can call him up, and while he would make more than the average D-league player (~75k vs $30k), the contract also limits time in the NBA to 45 days, which maxes out the contract at $275k/yr (the team does have the right to convert the contract to a standard NBA contract, but that means the player counts towards the 15 man roster and not the extra 16th or 17th position) . And again the grizzlies would have full control over whether Rabb plays up or down in the D league. If one were to get waived and not sign in the NBA, you could still play in the d league and be free to sign with ANY NBA team if performing well.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nba/2-w...ams-prospects/

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...aft-and-beyond

While there is upside for lower 2nd round picks to sign a two way deal (the first article above cites Tyrone Wallace at #59 in 2016 as a case where the two way rule would have benefited Tyrone), Rabb at #35 is a high enough pick that he seemingly could roll the dice and get on another NBA roster if the Grizzlies don't want him.

Looking at this chart from business insider, it appears 2016 second round draft picks around Rabb's 35th slot were getting at least $1-2 million guaranteed. Which is a lot more than $76k for a two way deal.

Last edited by ColoradoBear1; 07-20-2017 at 09:59 AM.

FWIW, the Warriors signed Bell to a two-year minimum salary contract, which appears to be $562k/yr. Bell was drafted 38th.

Interesting to read about this two-way contract structure. I agree, Rabb has way more upside looking elsewhere if that's all that Memphis offers.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Overcome these challenges Ivan. Man I want so much for this young man to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by elpbear View Post
    FWIW, the Warriors signed Bell to a two-year minimum salary contract, which appears to be $562k/yr. Bell was drafted 38th.
    http://www.spotrac.com/nba/golden-st...an-bell-23633/

Looks like about $2.2 million guaranteed for Bell. Warriors also reportedly paid the Bulls $3.5 million for that draft pick.
    Last edited by ColoradoBear1; 07-20-2017 at 10:31 AM.

could he go play overseas like some of those "draft and stash" picks and then sign a bigger contract when he's brought back?

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoBear1 View Post

Looks like about $2.2 million guaranteed for Bell. Warriors also reportedly paid the Bulls $3.5 million for that draft pick.
    Yeah and a rookie who will get some good playing time on the most dominant squad ever assembled in NBA history is not going to complain about money.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoBear1 View Post

Whoops, my bad, thanks for the correction. What I cited is the minimum NBA salary for a first year player in 17-18; the minimum for the 38th pick must be higher. Quite a difference for Ivan when compared to a two-way, so his motivation is understandable.

Refusing the two way contract seems like the best move for Rabb as there is probably another team that would be willing to put him on their roster for the minimum. Even if that isn't the case he can likely make more money overseas and build his value for next year.

I believe the Cavs were looking to trade to get Ivan, so he certainly has suitors outside of Memphis if he can't reach an agreement with the Grizz.

I just dont understand why they drafted him if they were going to do this to him. It shows that they are willing to make very little investment in his development, in otherwords they dont really think highly of his game. If I'm him, I'm not sure if I sign even if Memphis comes back and offers him the minimum.
    Last edited by gobears725; 07-20-2017 at 01:24 PM.