Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rabb reportedly has moved out of his Memphis apt and is coming back to CA

Sounds like they are being cheap and want to avoid paying taxes for being over the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by elpbear View Post
    Whoops, my bad, thanks for the correction. What I cited is the minimum NBA salary for a first year player in 17-18; the minimum for the 38th pick must be higher. Quite a difference for Ivan when compared to a two-way, so his motivation is understandable.
    As far as I know, there is no salary scale for a second round pick (only for a first round pick). So the only minimum is the NBA minimum, which according to this (https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/06/...or-201718.html) is about 815k for a rookie. That Bell got more is an expression as to how the Warriors feels about him. I think. There might be some salary cap implications of how much they offered.

Offering Rabb a two-way means they don't actually want him. No 35th pick would sign one. I am not really surprised as I have been arguing here that he has no NBA position and that he would spend next year in the G-league or overseas.

Sluggo

True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars Out here we is stoned – immaculate. J. Morrison
    I wonder if Cuonzo said the same thing to Rabb that Otter said to Flounder: "You f#cked up. You trusted me."

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    A two-way contract for the 35th pick is a bad deal. It's looking like Ivan should have stayed to rejuvenate his damaged stock. 2017 was not the year to enter the draft.
    It's probably a bad deal for Bird too to take with the Celtics- although he would would get paid, he would be locked into a team more crowded at his position than most others.

Quote Originally Posted by sluggo_Cal View Post
    As far as I know, there is no salary scale for a second round pick (only for a first round pick). So the only minimum is the NBA minimum, which according to this (https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/06/...or-201718.html) is about 815k for a rookie. That Bell got more is an expression as to how the Warriors feels about him.
    Bell's first year of his contract is for that 815K minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by BearNecessities View Post
    Bell's first year of his contract is for that 815K minimum.
    Now that makes sense. Bell gets the 815 minimum this year and the 1.3 minimum for a player with a year of experience next year leading to a total of about 2.2.

Sluggo

Quote Originally Posted by SFBearz View Post
    It's probably a bad deal for Bird too to take with the Celtics- although he would would get paid, he would be locked into a team more crowded at his position than most others.
    Not sure I agree. Boston has a bunch of players that don't fit nicely into positions. Bird might eventually be their best shooter.

Sluggo

Not sure I agree. Boston has a bunch of players that don't fit nicely into positions. Bird might eventually be their best shooter.

Sluggo
    i agree. hes a more natural shooting guard than jaylen who i think theyre leaning towards starting at SG. Actually would be the perfect backup to jaylen. he really only has to compete with kadeem allen for that spot. seems like as good of a shot as any to work your way into the rotation

Now that makes sense. Bell gets the 815 minimum this year and the 1.3 minimum for a player with a year of experience next year leading to a total of about 2.2.

Sluggo
    If I recall correctly, that's nearly double what Crabbe made his first two years as 1st pick of 2nd round. Minimums have gone up considerably in just a few short years.

Sluggo
    brad stevens has specifically said he is going to positionless basketball. ball handler, 2/3 athletic wings, and 1/2 bigs. jaylen will see the court a lot and guard the other teams best player

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    A two-way contract for the 35th pick is a bad deal. It's looking like Ivan should have stayed to rejuvenate his damaged stock. 2017 was not the year to enter the draft.
    He should have left after his frosh season. He was a likely end of the lottery pick and this past draft was projected to be much stronger. The NBA is changing how they play (Thank the Warriors) and Rabb will need to improve his shooting, ball handling, passing and perimeter defensive skills to have a lengthy career. He would have had guaranteed money if he left when Jaylen did. Now he is in an awkward position. It may still work out ok, but he lost a lot of money and security by staying. I wish him the best.

Quote Originally Posted by 6956bear View Post
    The NBA is changing how they play (Thank the Warriors) and Rabb will need to improve his shooting, ball handling, passing and perimeter defensive skills to have a lengthy career.
    Thing is he's skinny and athletic and not a banger PF. Rabb can improve thst skill set in the NBA especially with their rules on contact. College BB is just so sloppy with a lot of unnecessary contact and no real flow - rabb has a decent looking jumper, so he could do well in the nba IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoBear1 View Post
    Thing is he's skinny and athletic and not a banger PF. Rabb can improve thst skill set in the NBA especially with their rules on contact. College BB is just so sloppy with a lot of unnecessary contact and no real flow - rabb has a decent looking jumper, so he could do well in the nba IMO.
    Certainly possible. I am not saying he won't succeed just saying he has work to do. The Grizzlies contract offer indicates that they feel that way. Many felt that he needed to get stronger and he does. But his second season at Cal did not show the improvement the NBA wanted to see. His strengths just do not match up as well with the direction of the NBA these days. Still he is an NBA caliber player IMO, just not a star. I understand his unhappiness with the contract offer and do not blame him for trying to gain some leverage. Not working out as he hoped that is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 6956bear View Post
    He should have left after his frosh season. He was a likely end of the lottery pick....
    ... and I should have zigged when I zagged.

Jerome Randall wishes he had taken a 2 way contract. I believe his agent recommended against it.