Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A passing of the torch

FlashingScriptCal A passing of the torch

For the better part of two decades, Chris Avery, also well known in these parts as GreyBear, has overseen Bear Insider as owner and publisher.

What initially started as a newsletter circulated among die hard Cal fans about recruiting and other things going on with the Cal football program, grew into the very first Cal fan forum with FansOnly, which then became CyberBears. That's cyberbears.org, definitely not .com, for those of you unfortunate souls who once made that mistake logging in long ago.

Bear Insider became a subscriber site, offering unique content on the Cal football and basketball programs, videos, chat, recruiting coverage and more with the Scout network in 2003. I came aboard to cover recruiting in 2004 and we've maintained a pretty consistent team of writers since then.

In 2008, we went to the ESPN network and eventually went independent within a few years when ESPN moved to a different model with their collegiate coverage.

As we move closer to the beginning of our third decade covering Cal sports, Chris felt it was time to pass the torch, but to do so leaving our subscribers and posters in good hands, keeping our community in tact while growing it at the same time with changes we hope and believe will make Bear Insider the same place you've come to love but with more special features, more content and innovation, along with new forums and chat software that modernize the site and are much more user-friendly.

Our new owner and publisher is long-time Cal Athletics supporter and alum Greg Richardson. You'll be hearing more from Greg in the coming days.

You'll all be receiving surveys in the near future, where we'll ask about what you like about the site and what you'd like to see going forward. We hope you'll take the time to respond, which will help us continue to evolve into a place you just can't help coming back to time after time every day as you follow your Golden Bears.

Big thanks to GreyBear!

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    What initially started as a newsletter circulated among die hard Cal fans about recruiting and other things going on with the Cal football program, grew into the very first Cal fan forum with FansOnly, which then became CyberBears. That's cyberbears.org, definitely not .com, for those of you unfortunate souls who once made that mistake logging in long ago.
    well before my time, but

Real Bear
    Thanks GreyBear, this IS the place where I come for all things Cal Athletics. What a great community you have grown.

If the torch was passed, was a check with several trailing zeroes passed back?

Congrats, and thanks for your free and fun offering to us users.
    Can you please explain who among the prior mgmt/staff will continuing on in any manner?

True Blue Golden Bear MinotStateBeav's Avatar
    Thanks for the hard work you put into this thing Greybear. You created a site that most of us love to hang out at least once a day. I do hope you can come hang out with us plebs as just a normal Cal nerd now.

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    If the torch was passed, was a check with several trailing zeroes passed back?

Congrats, and thanks for your free and fun offering to us users.
    Can you please explain who among the prior mgmt/staff will continuing on in any manner?
    We've actually transitioned since the start of July but were waiting for Chris to chime in.

Most all of us are continuing with BI and we'll gradually be bringing in some new writers, as well.

Best of luck, Greybear. As someone who has been here since the fansonly days, you've done a great job building this community.

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    We've actually transitioned since the start of July but were waiting for Chris to chime in.

Most all of us are continuing with BI and we'll gradually be bringing in some new writers, as well.
    Thanks, and best of luck to all concerned! I look forward to see what new is cooked up.

A big thanks to Greybear. I found one of those early sites about 20 years ago and have enjoyed ever since.

I'll add my thanks as well - I've enjoyed this forum and following the Bears for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by philbert View Post
    Best of luck, Greybear. As someone who has been here since the fansonly days, you've done a great job building this community.
    recollect highschooler ChrisINeedMoreCharacters, or some such? shoot, the kid could be a grandpop by now.

It was GregINeedMoreCharacters. He came up with the name CyberBears, if I remember correctly! I think he's still around..but with another username. Imagine that smh

Quote Originally Posted by smh View Post
    recollect highschooler ChrisINeedMoreCharacters, or some such? shoot, the kid could be a grandpop by now.
    GO BEARS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Calfans View Post
    It was GregINeedMoreCharacters. He came up with the name CyberBears, if I remember correctly! I think he's still around..but with another username. Imagine that smh
    thanks for everything, Calfans; stick'em holding Cybers together.