Thread: A passing of the torch

FlashingScriptCal A passing of the torch

For the better part of two decades, Chris Avery, also well known in these parts as GreyBear, has overseen Bear Insider as owner and publisher.

What initially started as a newsletter circulated among die hard Cal fans about recruiting and other things going on with the Cal football program, grew into the very first Cal fan forum with FansOnly, which then became CyberBears. That's cyberbears.org, definitely not .com, for those of you unfortunate souls who once made that mistake logging in long ago.

Bear Insider became a subscriber site, offering unique content on the Cal football and basketball programs, videos, chat, recruiting coverage and more with the Scout network in 2003. I came aboard to cover recruiting in 2004 and we've maintained a pretty consistent team of writers since then.

In 2008, we went to the ESPN network and eventually went independent within a few years when ESPN moved to a different model with their collegiate coverage.

As we move closer to the beginning of our third decade covering Cal sports, Chris felt it was time to pass the torch, but to do so leaving our subscribers and posters in good hands, keeping our community in tact while growing it at the same time with changes we hope and believe will make Bear Insider the same place you've come to love but with more special features, more content and innovation, along with new forums and chat software that modernize the site and are much more user-friendly.

Our new owner and publisher is long-time Cal Athletics supporter and alum Greg Richardson. You'll be hearing more from Greg in the coming days.

You'll all be receiving surveys in the near future, where we'll ask about what you like about the site and what you'd like to see going forward. We hope you'll take the time to respond, which will help us continue to evolve into a place you just can't help coming back to time after time every day as you follow your Golden Bears.

I want to acknowledge Chris Avery for his contributions to cyberbears and ESPN's BearInsider. I believe that I joined in 1998 and it has been a "social networking" site for me for nearly twenty years. GO BEARS!