Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50

Thread: Is CA Law AB 1887 Already Affecting Cal Sports?

  1. #1

    Is CA Law AB 1887 Already Affecting Cal Sports?

    I just learned of CA Law AB 1887 this past week, which will keep athletes from CA public schools, UC's and CSU's, from travelling to states banned for having discriminatory laws. There are currently 8 states on that list, which may grow. The 8 states currently include Kansas, Texas, North Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky, South Dakota, Mississippi and Tennessee. Games already scheduled are allowed, but schools are not allowed to schedule new games in those states. The CA schools also cannot play NCAA tournament games in those states or travel to recruit in those states. Keep in mind this list can grow and it is thought Arizona could join the list. The article I read said Cal passed on talks of playing at Kansas because of this law. Then I realized athletes must be aware of this new law and may start avoiding Cal and UCLA because of it. Coaches might not want to stay at Cal because of this law, Cuonzo bailed and Dykes was fired for wanting to leave. So I wonder, is AB 1887 already affecting Cal sports?

    https://oag.ca.gov/ab1887
    Last edited by Rijman; 07-31-2017 at 03:06 PM. Reason: add a link

  2. #2
    Should they ban play at religious schools that don't recognize LGBT and gay marriage as well?

  3. #3
    WRONG. I suggest you read the law. It does NOT prevent athletes from traveling to those states. It only prevents Cal from using state funds to pay for such travel. As long as the travel is paid for from other funds (e.g., ticket sales, donations, UnderArmour, etc.) there is no problem. Have you noticed Wyking and Walker avoiding Texas in recruiting?

    btw, just who has avoided Cal and UCLA because of this???

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor View Post
    WRONG. I suggest you read the law. It does NOT prevent athletes from traveling to those states. It only prevents Cal from using state funds to pay for such travel. As long as the travel is paid for from other funds (e.g., ticket sales, donations, UnderArmour, etc.) there is no problem. Have you noticed Wyking and Walker avoiding Texas in recruiting?

    btw, just who has avoided Cal and UCLA because of this???
    I have read the law and I am aware private funds can be used for travel to other states, which is NOT in the spirit of the law. Will Cal try to work around the law? They reportedly cut off talks of going to Kansas for men's basketball because of the law, so they didn't try to privately fund that trip. There is concern that there will not be private funds available to fund travel for every Cal sports team to those states, plus recruiting plus NCAA tournaments. My opinion is this law could definitely affect recruiting and the coaching staff, especially if Cal is unwilling to work around the law or is unwilling to let some teams privately fund when others are unable to. So my question remains, is the law already affecting Cal sports?

  5. #5
    Cal is fucked with White Evangelical recruits aged 45-60...

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rijman View Post
    I have read the law and I am aware private funds can be used for travel to other states, which is NOT in the spirit of the law. Will Cal try to work around the law? They reportedly cut off talks of going to Kansas for men's basketball because of the law, so they didn't try to privately fund that trip. There is concern that there will not be private funds available to fund travel for every Cal sports team to those states, plus recruiting plus NCAA tournaments. My opinion is this law could definitely affect recruiting and the coaching staff, especially if Cal is unwilling to work around the law or is unwilling to let some teams privately fund when others are unable to. So my question remains, is the law already affecting Cal sports?
    You are crying wolf way too soon. There is no indication it is going to affect basketball. The Excellence in Basketball Fund will have plenty of non taxpayer money for any needed travel. This bill may get challenged anyway,. Probably on the grounds of stupidity.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by caltagjohnson View Post
    You are crying wolf way too soon. There is no indication it is going to affect basketball. The Excellence in Basketball Fund will have plenty of non taxpayer money for any needed travel. This bill may get challenged anyway,. Probably on the grounds of stupidity.
    Cal has already cut off talks of going to Kansas, recruits will know this. Won't some be wary of Cal avoiding 8 states and maybe more? Do we know that Cal will allow their teams to self fund trips to the banned states? Did this play a part in Cuonzo's decision to leave, which likely lead to players other than Rabb and Bird leaving? If so, then the law is already affecting Cal basketball. It is possible that athletic teams could be exempted from AB 1887, but for now they are not.

  8. #8
    Just another dumb law passed by the nutty California legislature. Just when you think they can't get any crazier, they do.

  9. #9
    Golden Bear Strykur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    5,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Rijman View Post
    Cal has already cut off talks of going to Kansas, recruits will know this. Won't some be wary of Cal avoiding 8 states and maybe more? Do we know that Cal will allow their teams to self fund trips to the banned states? Did this play a part in Cuonzo's decision to leave, which likely lead to players other than Rabb and Bird leaving? If so, then the law is already affecting Cal basketball. It is possible that athletic teams could be exempted from AB 1887, but for now they are not.
    For football this only affects maybe 1 game a year, with bowls to be determined, whereas basketball is a different animal because of numerous out-of-conference games, tournaments, etc. Won't really know the fallout of this for awhile.

  10. #10
    Regular season football might not be affected for a few years depending on when they contracted games in banned states. The law doesn't affect games contracted prior to 1/1/17. But bowl games could be a problem and start affecting CA teams this season. Another concern is the banned list expanding to Arizona.

    Cal has a game scheduled at Ole Miss in 2019, in a banned state, that appears to be part of a home and away series so likely contracted and acceptable. They play at UNC to start this season, another banned state.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    Cal is fucked|

    with White Evangelical recruits aged 45-60...
    Funny how one can say that word but not say **** (that's s#!T)

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    Funny how one can say that word but not say **** (that's s#!T)
    yeah, i was surprised it didn't get censored...then again, home of the free speech movement...

    on another note, how is banning travel to Arizona not a net win for MBB? Although ASU is always winnable...

  13. #13
    So was this our last year of playing on a military base (Pearl Harbor Invitational) as well? I do find it amazing that while i disagree with discrimination in pretty much any form, the response to it by lawmakers is about as nonsensical as it comes. The only ones this law will ever hurt is ourselves.

  14. #14
    The legislature should ban travel in airspace over these heathen states & forbid use of auto, bus, taxie, uber that touches the ground in any of these scalliwag, good for nothing, horrible states. These states are not fit for a Californian to spit upon.

    I don't care how good their BBQ is. These states should all be nuked off the map. How dare they offer travel thru their skuncky, biased, filthy borders to our beloved California Intelligencia?

    Oh, the humanity!! When will this horribleness end?

  15. #15
    That's why we have things like The Smart train in northern CA...it goes nowhere so no one will be offended. It will cost a lot though.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •