Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul George to the warriors?

True Blue Golden Bear going4roses's Avatar

Paul George to the warriors?

Please tell me this a joke. Has anyone else heard about this?

Some Bay Area sportswriters seem convinced they're going to try it, but there are a number of problems with it.

First of all, there's no cap room. Somebody would have to leave the team with no salary coming back in order to accommodate him

Secondly, there's no starting position available for him either unless Klay gets moved.

It was just speculation. I don't see how this would work barring a trade of one of the big 4.

Quote Originally Posted by philbert View Post
    It was just speculation. I don't see how this would work barring a trade of one of the big 4.
    It'd be a tough call on whether to do a S&T and send Klay (and likely one other player - Igoudala?) for Paul George. PG is the better player, by far, but Klay is a great fit with the other talent on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by grandmastapoop View Post
    It'd be a tough call on whether to do a S&T and send Klay (and likely one other player - Igoudala?) for Paul George. PG is the better player, by far, but Klay is a great fit with the other talent on the team.
    The Warriors are over the salary cap apron and would remain over the apron in a theoretical sign and trade, so they don't have the option of doing that.
    http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q92

Quote Originally Posted by BearNecessities View Post
    The Warriors are over the salary cap apron and would remain over the apron in a theoretical sign and trade, so they don't have the option of doing that.
    http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q92
    Interesting. I didn't know that re the apron/sign-and-trade. I wonder if there's a way to make it work. The apron will change next year, of course, and without knowing what $ PG would sign at makes this quite difficult. It also depends on what the hell happens with KD after his expected opt-out (he has a player option for 18-19). For the sake of argument, let's assume PG signs at $26M and KD doesn't opt-out (both unlikely).

The Warriors presently have $140M guaranteed for 18-19. In the deal, they would be taking on $26M in PG, and sending out Klay and Igoudala, in my scenario, at a combined $35M. That's a net of -$9M, bringing them to $131M guaranteed. That's likely over the apron, so in the meantime they'd have to shave another $6M, using this year's apron of $125M. They have club options on Looney and Jones for $3.5M combined next year. If they really wanted to, I think they could get under.

This would also put OKC over the apron by about $11M. Maybe Kanter opts out and they don't re-sign him, which would bring them back under.

It seems possible to me, though not easy (I'm also not sure if the salaries need to match-up - is that still a rule?)

It seems possible to me, though not easy (I'm also not sure if the salaries need to match-up - is that still a rule?)
    They do, but with the salaries getting so large, being within X% of the total salary amount traded is getting somewhat easier.

My position is with the best team in the league already and with George being a small forward much more than a shooting guard, is it worth all the salary cap gymnastics, plus dumping what is theoretically supposed to be their best bench player (he's at an age where his game could start to drop off) and an all-star shooting guard for having a better theoretical starting five, but making your team even more top-heavy than it already was with four all-stars and Iguodala, Nick Young, and Livingston being your top 3 guys off the bench? Klay has his faults and some of them drive me crazy, but his combination of long-distance shooting combined with a guy that willingly takes the tougher guard from the opponent's backcourt is not that common.

It's actually even a question of whether they keep Klay at all when his contract expires as McCaw is showing some promise and the team is going to be subjected to even higher luxury tax penalties with the increase in Klay's salary, plus the repeater penalties. So far the team seems to be willing to suffer some level of penalties to keep the team together, but I wonder if there is a point where that is no longer the case.

If I'm not mistaken, George is one year removed from a major injury and I'm not sure that he has returned to his pre-injury level. I don't agree that George is the better player over Klay. I know that he doesn't defend as well as Klay. I think that the relevant comparison is if George is the better player when teamed with the other Warrior players? I wouldn't trade Klay for George give what I've seen of George this past season.

This is all nonsense, unless somebody on the current squad were to walk. Klay for George is a downgrade. Or Lacob just wants to burn money.

Quote Originally Posted by orindabear74 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, George is one year removed from a major injury and I'm not sure that he has returned to his pre-injury level. I don't agree that George is the better player over Klay. I know that he doesn't defend as well as Klay. I think that the relevant comparison is if George is the better player when teamed with the other Warrior players? I wouldn't trade Klay for George give what I've seen of George this past season.
    Well, you are mistaken. His injury was summer 2014. He'd be 4 years removed from his injury next summer. He put up very good numbers the last two years. He shot 46/39/89 and had 26/6/3 slash line. Despite Strykur's assertion, I think he's a huge upgrade over Klay. However, as you note, and I said in my initial post, whether he's a better fit for the Warriors is a different discussion. I'm not sure he is (but I'm not sure he isn't). If I was a Warriors fan, I'd trust management's decision. They've earned it.

Not a chance will this happen.

The fact that it was considered a couple years ago has been mocked by everyone and the Warriors have sheepishly admitted it would've been a bad move. Now they'd want to try and do it again?

I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    Not a chance will this happen.

The fact that it was considered a couple years ago has been mocked by everyone and the Warriors have sheepishly admitted it would've been a bad move. Now they'd want to try and do it again?

I don't think so.
    That was regarding Kevin Love? I've never heard any Paul George to Warriors rumors before this summer, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Yes, it was all over the media a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    Yes, it was all over the media a few weeks ago.
    Ok, found it. That was a trade offer this summer, not a couple years ago as you said (which is why I figured you were thinking of the Klay/Love trade talks a couple years back).

To your point, there's a big difference between a sign and trade next year and a trade this summer: George is a free agent next summer, and if they traded for him this summer, there's no guarantee he doesn't leave next year. But if they do a sign and trade next summer, they can lock him up for a few years.

No, there was talk of it almost happening a couple years ago that only came out a couple weeks ago, with universal agreement that everyone's glad it didn't happen and that it wouldn't happen now.