Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: From new Cal budget

  1. #1

    From new Cal budget

    For example, Cal Athletics — which ran an almost $22 million deficit in fiscal year 2016 and holds the most debt of any athletic department in the United States as of 2017 — is mandated to reduce its budget deficit by $4.652 million over the next fiscal year, according to the Cal Athletics divisional budget dashboard.

    Cal Athletics identifies various potential long-term strategies to raise revenues and reduce expenses, including “the relocation of track and soccer programs — if continued — to a different location and allowing the campus to construct residential housing at Edwards Stadium” and making “reductions in program scope” up to $8 million per year.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by oskigobears View Post
    For example, Cal Athletics — which ran an almost $22 million deficit in fiscal year 2016 and holds the most debt of any athletic department in the United States as of 2017 — is mandated to reduce its budget deficit by $4.652 million over the next fiscal year, according to the Cal Athletics divisional budget dashboard.

    Cal Athletics identifies various potential long-term strategies to raise revenues and reduce expenses, including “the relocation of track and soccer programs — if continued — to a different location and allowing the campus to construct residential housing at Edwards Stadium” and making “reductions in program scope” up to $8 million per year.
    That's a big move by Crist. That would seem to herald the end of T&F at Cal.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Polodad View Post
    That's a big move by Crist. That would seem to herald the end of T&F at Cal.
    Edwards is a designated Berkeley historical landmark. Good luck with the politics of getting it torn down and replaced with student housing. In terms of feasible possibilities I would give it as much chance as doing the same thing with People's Park.

  4. #4
    There may be a quid pro for this in what happens to the debt. Patience.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    There may be a quid pro for this in what happens to the debt. Patience.
    Land in exchange for debt?

  6. #6
    I am not a fan of Tony Sandoval.

    He couldn't be bothered to meet with a stunning HS runner/(sister rows crew for Cal now.....)
    so stunning runner went to Alabama.
    Set all kinds of NCAA track records there and is still involved with USA Running.

  7. #7
    Loyal Bear barabbas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Puerto Plata, DR
    Posts
    3,747
    Quote Originally Posted by JUMP MASTER View Post
    Edwards is a designated Berkeley historical landmark. Good luck with the politics of getting it torn down and replaced with student housing. In terms of feasible possibilities I would give it as much chance as doing the same thing with People's Park.
    Well, because of it's condition and a death trap in an earthquake, i think it might be more feasible than you think. Having said that, Cal baseball could not remove the ugly ass trees, which are bare most of the Spring, around Evans Diamond because the guy who developed the trees taught on campus and raised holy hell.
    Every move out there is a political nightmare. Rugby has to be put in there place...soon
    Last edited by barabbas; 08-13-2017 at 07:14 PM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JUMP MASTER View Post
    Edwards is a designated Berkeley historical landmark. Good luck with the politics of getting it torn down and replaced with student housing. In terms of feasible possibilities I would give it as much chance as doing the same thing with People's Park.
    I still don't get why we can't use people park near campus. the people's park farther away in berkeley can remain for anyone who wants that type of thing.

    the people's park near campus would make a perfect location for a student dorm as there are already some near that location

    I know berkeley politics has been the biggest roadblock, but can't this be revisited. things change.
    ‘I don’t need easy, I need possible.’ Jorge Gutierrez

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
    I still don't get why we can't use people park near campus. the people's park farther away in berkeley can remain for anyone who wants that type of thing.

    the people's park near campus would make a perfect location for a student dorm as there are already some near that location

    I know berkeley politics has been the biggest roadblock, but can't this be revisited. things change.
    Couldn't agree more! I am sure there would be some fallout although hopefully not on the scale of the football stadium remodel.

  10. #10
    Loyal Bear barabbas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Puerto Plata, DR
    Posts
    3,747
    Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    There may be a quid pro for this in what happens to the debt. Patience.
    Ya think?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by oskigobears View Post
    I am not a fan of Tony Sandoval.

    He couldn't be bothered to meet with a stunning HS runner/(sister rows crew for Cal now.....)
    so stunning runner went to Alabama.
    Set all kinds of NCAA track records there and is still involved with USA Running.
    I had a good friend that ran the 1500m at Alabama back in the early 90's and who ran in the '92 and '96 Olympic Trials.
    Who is the runner that you speak of that set all kinds of NCAA records for the Tide?

    Just curious.
    Last edited by Wags; Yesterday at 09:49 AM.

  12. #12

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by oskigobears View Post
    Parker Deuel
    I don't believe Parker Deuel of Danville set any NCAA records, let alone school records at Alabama.
    Not even close.

    https://www.tfrrs.org/athletes/40464...ker_Deuel.html

    Looking at his bio, he may have had some success in high school X-country.

    But its kind of difficult for a college coach like Tony Sandoval to recruit a local kid from San Ramon Valley High who didn't even make the CIF State 1600m final his senior year. In fact, Parker Deuel came in 10th place in his 1600m Heat race with a time of 4:21.07 that was nowhere near the final qualifying time to get into the Finals (4:15.34)

    http://www.cifstate.org/sports/track...al_Results.pdf

    You're quite mistaken about this young man's talent level.
    Last edited by Wags; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •