Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Mavin Anderson
Cal Football

Anderson Kicks Off 2021 Class With Commitment to Cal

February 1, 2020
12,002

The Bears got on the board for their 2021 class in a big way today with the commitment of Mission Viejo junior wide receiver Mavin Anderson‍. The 6-1/190 receiver had 34 catches for 533 yards and seven touchdowns in his junior season that was somewhat limited by injury.

Anderson with fellow 2021 WRs visiting for Cal’s Jr Day

Anderson’s anticipation for the Junior Day visit was strong. He noted earlier this week: 

“I’m looking forward to meeting the coaching staff and getting to know the coaches better, as well as getting a feel for the overall environment of the school and football program.

“As far as recruiting goes, (WR) Coach Toler and Coach (Marshall) Cherrington have been the two main coaches recruiting me from Cal. I feel like we’ve developed a very solid relationship.”

The 4 star receiver obviously liked what he saw on today’s visit. He announced his commitment tonight on Twitter, saying:

“After a long talk with my family and a successful junior day at Cal, I’m extremely excited to announce my verbal commitment to the University of California, Berkeley!! Thank you to everyone that has helped put me in this position. #CalGang21.”

An excellent student, Anderson holds an offer from Yale along with Oregon, Auburn, Nebraska and more. He plans to be an early enrollee after graduating in December.

Other stories:

Anderson Looking Forward to His Visit to Cal

Texas CB Deuce Harmon Talks About First Pac-12 Offer From Cal

Discussion from...

Anderson Kicks Off 2021 Class With Commitment to Cal

10,790 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by CalFan777
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Po said:

CalBearinLA said:

Po said:

wallyball2003 said:

71Bear said:

3 star at Rivals.

Star inflation at Cal is much like grade inflation on the Farm - rampant.
Don't you think your time would be better spent keeping those "dadgum kids" off of your lawn?
People should show 71Bear more respect. Unlike some who demand it, he's earned it.
Respect is one thing, but to say that calling the recruit a 4* is an example of Cal inflating rankings is inaccurate (because it's not even Cal that created the rankings) and in poor taste for a thread that was started to welcome a young man for making a big decision. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion, but we are curious as to his intention for bringing up again

1) a negative post where it is unwarranted
2) an inaccurate claim

Just seems like bitterness for the sake of being bitter.
His post is accurate. Anderson is a 3 star on Rivals.
His implication that the kid is overrated because one service has him rated at 3 stars is bush league, ill timed and not worthy of someone who supposedly "earned his respect"
mbBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tequila4kapp said:

Po said:

CalBearinLA said:

Po said:

wallyball2003 said:

71Bear said:

3 star at Rivals.

Star inflation at Cal is much like grade inflation on the Farm - rampant.
Don't you think your time would be better spent keeping those "dadgum kids" off of your lawn?
People should show 71Bear more respect. Unlike some who demand it, he's earned it.
Respect is one thing, but to say that calling the recruit a 4* is an example of Cal inflating rankings is inaccurate (because it's not even Cal that created the rankings) and in poor taste for a thread that was started to welcome a young man for making a big decision. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion, but we are curious as to his intention for bringing up again

1) a negative post where it is unwarranted
2) an inaccurate claim

Just seems like bitterness for the sake of being bitter.
His post is accurate. Anderson is a 3 star on Rivals.
His implication that the kid is overrated because one service has him rated at 3 stars is bush league, ill timed and not worthy of someone who supposedly "earned his respect"
And again, the one service that has him with 3 stars, Rivals, says they expect him to go to 4 stars.
If he or anyone feels like the recruit is "over-rated," then say it...its not an "illegal" position.
"Earned respect" is probably the most useless term I have ever seen posted here...what do you "earn" exactly?
Grigsby
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The obsession with stars is a bit bonkers. I get that it's neat to get excited about recruits and how they rank, but there's really little difference between #50 ranked WR and 10th or 150th.

The key is to get players who can deal with Cal's academics, stay healthy, and have the five and desire to improve.

Yes, the more athleticism the better, but will>skill when you get to the upper echelon of athletes.
Rushinbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Grigsby said:

The obsession with stars is a bit bonkers. I get that it's neat to get excited about recruits and how they rank, but there's really little difference between #50 ranked WR and 10th or 150th.

The key is to get players who can deal with Cal's academics, stay healthy, and have the five and desire to improve.

Yes, the more athleticism the better, but will>skill when you get to the upper echelon of athletes.
Hate to break it to you: there is, shall we say, a discernible difference. Let's take ratings. Look at the videos of a 95 vs an 85. A 95 will dominate the game; an 85 will star in it. You can't not see that.

Now, the 95 could end up a dud for all kinds of reasons. And, the 85 can become a star with hard work on the field and in the classroom. But, talent? You gotta start with it - all you can get. In that sense, no amount of will can overcome a lack of at least substantial skill, at our level.

What you hope for is to find the kind of talent you need along with a desire to be part of a team - your team.
Grigsby
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There are certainly differences amongst players however you have to remember that these evaluations are coming from people who have experience, but I would ask at what skill level.

Projecting someone at 16-18 to how they will be at 20-22 and after is a difficult task.

Cameron Jordan was 3* recruit and Alex Mack was a 2* recruit. Jordan had NFL bloodlines to go with NFL body type. Mack was state runner up in wrestling.

Both are great shots to be Hall of Famers.

Of all the top talents at Cal in the last 20 years. There have been 4 top talents Kyle Boller, Marshawn Lynch, DeSean Jackson, and Keenan Allen that were celebrated as big time talents and can't miss prospects.

Still have had loads of top tier players in addition to Mack and Jordan including Aaron Rodgers, Forsett, Vereen, Best, Goff, Schwartz etc.

My point was to suggest that chances are Anderson isn't someone who can come in day 1 and dominate; however who knows what his ceiling is. He might turn into the greatest receiver Cal has ever seen or never play. Two extremes to be sure. He appears to adjudged as one of the best players in the U.S.

I don't disagree that Cal needs to improve its athleticism, but only Franklin looks that type of guy at WR in 2021.
Ncsf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Grigsby said:

LThere are certainly differences amongst players however you have to remember that these evaluations are coming from people who have experience, but I would ask at what skill level.

Projecting someone at 16-18 to how they will be at 20-22 and after is a difficult task.

Cameron Jordan was 3* recruit and Alex Mack was a 2* recruit. Jordan had NFL bloodlines to go with NFL body type. Mack was state runner up in wrestling.

Both are great shots to be Hall of Famers.

Of all the top talents at Cal in the last 20 years. There have been 4 top talents Kyle Boller, Marshawn Lynch, DeSean Jackson, and Keenan Allen that were celebrated as big time talents and can't miss prospects.

Still have had loads of top tier players in addition to Mack and Jordan including Aaron Rodgers, Forsett, Vereen, Best, Goff, Schwartz etc.

My point was to suggest that chances are Anderson isn't someone who can come in day 1 and dominate; however who knows what his ceiling is. He might turn into the greatest receiver Cal has ever seen or never play. Two extremes to be sure. He appears to adjudged as one of the best players in the U.S.

I don't disagree that Cal needs to improve its athleticism, but only Franklin looks that type of guy at WR in 2021.
Really good post. I would put Best in that category with the other four. Top
Sprinter in the country with a crazy highlight video.
CalFan777
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ncsf said:


Really good post. I would put Best in that category with the other four. Top
Sprinter in the country with a crazy highlight video.

It is interesting to look back: https://247sports.com/college/california/Season/2007-Football/Commits/ I remember Best being hyped by Cal fans as a surefire star and an absurdly underrated recruit. We were right. His highlight video was insane. Vereen was actually rated a little higher than Best. That 2007 class was a great class. We had other classes that were rated higher that because of massive amounts of injuries, transfers, or busts did not deliver nearly as many high quality players. And Best was the biggest talent in that class. It is tragic that injuries cut short his career. He was special.

I also remember Bigelow being hyped as Best 2.0 maybe better.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.