Portal Needs

28,958 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by parentswerebears
smokeyrover
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DaveT said:

oskidunker said:

Why would a player want to come here assuming the money is in the ball,park? Anyone wanting to be on a top 25 team wont. "Come to Cal and be the first person to sign. Sorry we dont know who else might be coming. " What's the pitch and will they buy it?And dont tell me we are a great academic institution. They wont care
I'm not sure being on a top team is always the main goal. Players also want money, playing time, and exposure. Being on a top team is great, but not if you're on the bench or sharing time.

Cal offers:
  • A lot of playing time & the potential to play a major role on the team
  • A fast-paced offense that allows guys to showcase skills
  • Exposure & competition in a top basketball conference
  • An improving program
  • A coach/staff with NBA experience
  • A demonstrated ability to prepare/showcase players for the NBA (Tyson)
  • Access to a major media market with the potential for additional NIL opportunities

Not saying Cal can compete with top programs for marquee guys, but if they are competitive with NIL, I think there are several reasons to believe we can attract good players. Last year we had a brand new coach, were coming off an historically embarrassing season, were part of a collapsing conference, and had zero student interest. And we still landed several good players. I think we're in a better position now.
Agree, a couple reasons to think perhaps we are in a better position.Trying to envision how a potential big donor would view the situation this year compared to last...

Seems like getting acclimated to the new lay of the land - NIL directly building rosters - may have been tough to wrap heads around for some (not all) of the older donors, especially at Cal. Now, while still the Wild West in some ways, donors perhaps have more of a comfort level and clarity with the new reality.

Also, the Fox shambles and Knowlton leadership question marks (to put it kindly) were a huge drag on program perception. A year in, Madsen's positive leadership and inspiring force of personality, combined with some more entertaining style of play, better results, and enthusiasm/butts in seats in Haas puts the direction of the program in a much more positive light. I think this could especially be a factor with more casual BB fans and/or those who care more about FB.

Intuit
He has played three years and will have only one year of eligibility left.
Harborview
calumnus
Intuit said:

He has played three years and will have only one year of eligibility left.

He doesn't get an extra year for 2020/COVID?
Shocky1
Basketball Bear said:

He would be a good get!
MEAC player of the year, defensive player of the year, led in points and steals. A great building block and instant starter. I think he will be a sophomore. Bring him home!
basketball bear, u seem to follow recruiting very closely, do you think thomas (greensboro nc native) would be able to clear berkeley admissions (transferable units & strong enough gpa) after 3 years of college at 2 different academically weak schools (norfolk state & unc wilmington) & a current major of mass communications as a non grad transfer (which got significantly lower academic requirements)?
calumnus
smokeyrover said:

DaveT said:

oskidunker said:

Why would a player want to come here assuming the money is in the ball,park? Anyone wanting to be on a top 25 team wont. "Come to Cal and be the first person to sign. Sorry we dont know who else might be coming. " What's the pitch and will they buy it?And dont tell me we are a great academic institution. They wont care
I'm not sure being on a top team is always the main goal. Players also want money, playing time, and exposure. Being on a top team is great, but not if you're on the bench or sharing time.

Cal offers:
  • A lot of playing time & the potential to play a major role on the team
  • A fast-paced offense that allows guys to showcase skills
  • Exposure & competition in a top basketball conference
  • An improving program
  • A coach/staff with NBA experience
  • A demonstrated ability to prepare/showcase players for the NBA (Tyson)
  • Access to a major media market with the potential for additional NIL opportunities

Not saying Cal can compete with top programs for marquee guys, but if they are competitive with NIL, I think there are several reasons to believe we can attract good players. Last year we had a brand new coach, were coming off an historically embarrassing season, were part of a collapsing conference, and had zero student interest. And we still landed several good players. I think we're in a better position now.
Agree, a couple reasons to think perhaps we are in a better position.Trying to envision how a potential big donor would view the situation this year compared to last...

Seems like getting acclimated to the new lay of the land - NIL directly building rosters - may have been tough to wrap heads around for some (not all) of the older donors, especially at Cal. Now, while still the Wild West in some ways, donors perhaps have more of a comfort level and clarity with the new reality.

Also, the Fox shambles and Knowlton leadership question marks (to put it kindly) were a huge drag on program perception. A year in, Madsen's positive leadership and inspiring force of personality, combined with some more entertaining style of play, better results, and enthusiasm/butts in seats in Haas puts the direction of the program in a much more positive light. I think this could especially be a factor with more casual BB fans and/or those who care more about FB.

The fact that Knowlton has been such a horrible financial manager (malfeasance IMO) gives donors an extra incentive to give Sebasta and Cal Legends their money to manage.
Basketball Bear
Shocky1 said:

Basketball Bear said:

He would be a good get!
MEAC player of the year, defensive player of the year, led in points and steals. A great building block and instant starter. I think he will be a sophomore. Bring him home!
basketball bear, u seem to follow recruiting very closely, do you think thomas (greensboro nc native) would be able to clear berkeley admissions (transferable units & strong enough gpa) after 3 years of college at 2 different academically weak schools (norfolk state & unc wilmington) & a current major of mass communications as a non grad transfer (which got significantly lower academic requirements)?
Are you inferring something because he comes from a historically black college? HBCU. Ask coach and his staff what they think. You are being passive aggressive. No need for that.
BC Calfan
One of the best seniors in the Bay Area just de-committed from Illinois. Originally from SF, goes to Branson.

BearSD
Basketball Bear said:

He would be a good get!
He was unimpressive in two seasons at Wilmington in the CAA. He started at a level (CAA) competitively below the ACC, and had to move to an even lower level (MEAC) to put up solid numbers. Look at his 2nd year at Wilmington: Per game averages of 19 minutes, 7 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists. No high major team would bring him in based on those numbers.
Johnfox
It's strange we didn't offer him. I wonder why he decommitted?
BC Calfan
We were in his Top 8, guess Gus couldn't seal the deal.

bearister
" Fayetteville, Arkansas "I met with the team, there is no team," said John Calipari during his official introduction at Arkansas. That's right: The Razorbacks currently have zero players. Look out transfer portal, here comes Cal!"
YahooSports AM
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
3Cats4CAL
Raynaud just recommited back to Stanford. Do you think Stojakovic will also follow suit or do we have a better chance with him?
Johnfox
Stojakovic ain't going back. 99% sure of that. I'd put my money on Cal
HearstMining
BC Calfan said:

We were in his Top 8, guess Gus couldn't seal the deal.

Cal has picked up a couple of Ivy grad transfers over the recent years and they didn't have much impact. In particular, Betley in '20-21 was a 6'5" shooting guard. He started strong for Cal, but once conference games began and the defenders were taller and faster, he really tailed off. I'm not going to lose sleep over losing this kid.
Intuit
Who is California going to sign that is a more skilled shooting guard?
Harborview
Johnfox
Maybe Jordan Pope or Stojakovic
Intuit
"Maybe Jordan Pope or Stojakovic"

Clearly if they sign those two and add Jeff Nwankwo Cal will have the core of a very competitive & high potential roster which would prosper under Madson's tutelage in the ACC.
Harborview
Johnfox
I have a good feeling jeff nwankwo is a bear
Johnfox

Averaged 5 assists. Maybe our future starting PG?
Johnfox

Moraga to Berkeley?
parentswerebears
THAT would be a pick up! Pull him and Stojakovic in and you've got a potent backcourt.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.