New Commit: BJ Omot 6'8 SF

3,781 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Johnfox
BC Calfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A lot to like about this. All league, nice numbers, he will be a junior. Best recruit of the class so far imo.

Oakbear
three point percent not good?? in today's game, three point shooting should be 35%, preferably more

last playoff game 2/7 .. playoffs are when guys have to step up their game
BC Calfan
Highlights (and lowlights!) here.

Seems like a good dude! His favorite hobby is napping haha.

89Bear
Oakbear said:

three point percent not good?? in today's game, three point shooting should be 35%, preferably more

last playoff game 2/7 .. playoffs are when guys have to step up their game
All-League as a frosh is what I noticed.
Johnfox
From watching his highlights, here are some of my observations.

- Very good body control, especially at the rim (allows him to finish at a high rate).
- He's a playmaker just like Jaylon Tyson
- 3PT shooting looks better than what the numbers say. All his 3's are highly contested or created off the dribble. Adding more playmakers will free him up, making his percentage go up. However, I am certain he will be working on that this offseason.
- Midrange game is not his strength. He can hit those jumpers if given enough space, but not under well guarded situations.
- He is very athletic. You will see some monster dunks this upcoming season.

Overall, I love this pickup from maddog
RedlessWardrobe
As usual small sample size in the video. One thing I noticed is when he drives to the hoop, even when he goes left he comes back exclusively to the right hand. Another thing that the coaching staff should work with him on.
DaveT
FWIW, ranked as 4-star/#137 overall portal prospect by 247sports, 4-star/#165 per On3. Had interest out of high school from several solid programs including Minnesota, Butler, Marquette, Iowa, Providence, and Iowa State.

Still lots of holes to fill, but seems like Madsen is keying in on athletic guys with upside.
stu
Last season shooting percentages:
2-point: .509
3-point: .282
FT: .700

Also:
rebounds: 4.2/game
A/TO: 1.07

https://fightinghawks.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/b-j--omot/11570

As of today TheAthletic ranks him #117 in the portal and says:

... Omot is long and brings real defensive ability to the table on the wing. He's a tough on-ball defender, and while he doesn't force a ton of steals or block many shots, he is aggressive in making life tough for opposing wings ...
sluggo
RedlessWardrobe said:

As usual small sample size in the video. One thing I noticed is when he drives to the hoop, even when he goes left he comes back exclusively to the right hand. Another thing that the coaching staff should work with him on.
I noticed that too. Which is one of many reasons he reminds me of Kuany. It was a Fox signature to have players who could only use their right hand. Perhaps he can become a defensive stopper and shoot the ball less.

Johnfox

Omot is a defensive beast too!
HoopDreams
He does have the same long lean body as KK, but looks to have higher upside.

Kuany shot only 35% and 30% from 3 in his senior year at Cal (vs BJ as a soph, although KK played in a much tougher conference)

BJ's handle looks better than KK too

Kuany was the player I hoped would stay at Cal due to his defense and the offensive potential that he didn't quite live up to, and because he looked like a great team guy

Anyway, looks like a good addition
RedlessWardrobe
sluggo said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

I noticed that too. Which is one of many reasons he reminds me of Kuany. It was a Fox signature to have players who could only use their right hand. Perhaps he can become a defensive stopper and shoot the ball less.

Evidently it was a Fox signature to have players who could only use their right hand - and - do nothing about it. Lets hope MM and staff address this and work on improving.
oskidunker
Ok. Now we need guards.
Go Bears!
stu
And a rim-protecting center.
sluggo
HoopDreams said:

Kuany shot only 35% and 30% from 3 in his senior year at Cal (vs BJ as a soph, although KK played in a much tougher conference)

Kuany was the player I hoped would stay at Cal due to his defense, offensive potential that he didn't quite live up to his potential but was close, and because he looked like a great team guy

I liked Kuany too. It seemed like he could have been a better player with the right coach.

Omot played against weaker competition, so he is going to have to get better to stay at the same inefficient level.

The problem with the Fox era was role players who were elevated to larger roles. Omot is a role player. Cal needs a #1 and a #2 scorer. Scholarships are available.
stu
At VCU Kuany shot good percentages but averaged only 17 minutes, 6 points, and 2 rebounds per game.
Big C
sluggo said:

HoopDreams said:

Kuany was the player I hoped would stay at Cal due to his defense, offensive potential that he didn't quite live up to his potential but was close, and because he looked like a great team guy

I liked Kuany too. It seemed like he could have been a better player with the right coach.

Omot played against weaker competition, so he is going to have to get better to stay at the same inefficient level.

The problem with the Fox era was role players who were elevated to larger roles. Omot is a role player. Cal needs a #1 and a #2 scorer. Scholarships are available.

Agree. These three guys we got so far are pieces, but we're gonna need some foundational pieces. So far, the roster doesn't look as strong as last year's 13-19 roster. (Granted, Madsen ain't done yet, not even close.)
sluggo
Big C said:

sluggo said:

HoopDreams said:

Agree. These three guys we got so far are pieces, but we're gonna need some foundational pieces. So far, the roster doesn't look as strong as last year's 13-19 roster. (Granted, Madsen ain't done yet, not even close.)
It would be very interesting to be in the Cal draft room. We can speculate on what we think each piece can do, but it is just speculation. Right now there are seven openings and an unclear amount of money to spend. Anything is possible.
barsad
Is he a starter?
Big C
sluggo said:

Big C said:

sluggo said:

HoopDreams said:

It would be very interesting to be in the Cal draft room. We can speculate on what we think each piece can do, but it is just speculation. Right now there are seven openings and an unclear amount of money to spend. Anything is possible.

A good-to-very-good PG and big man and we're back in the mix! (I might just buy a lottery ticket for this.)
Growler91
People forget JT came in averaging 10 and 6. I think these last two commits are guys who are going to play A LOT.
oskidunker
Assuming Madsen gets the two players referenced above, do you think our team will be better than Stanford was last year considering they have Renaue?
Go Bears!
stu
barsad said:

Is he a starter?
Kuany started 35 of the 36 games he played in.

https://vcuathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/kuany-kuany/4822
RedlessWardrobe
If there is still another six open spots then trying to forecast too much about the signees becomes a lot of speculation. I'm curious of the remaining high school/portal mix. I guess MM is going to play it as it comes.
calumnus
RedlessWardrobe said:

If there is still another six open spots then trying to forecast too much about the signees becomes a lot of speculation. I'm curious of the remaining high school/portal mix. I guess MM is going to play it as it comes.

Agree, it is still very early in the process of building next year's roster.
HoopDreams
He is listed at #68 in ESPN's top 150 transfers

No Cal transfer out are in top 150
bearmanpg
barsad said:

Is he a starter?
Yes....the only comparison to Kuany is his build....This kid can play, Kuany only looked good....
Pittstop
Is Aiden Mahaney coming? Is MM on him?
Johnfox
The staff is all over him
Intuit
Where does today's visitor Christian Tucker fit in the unsolved roster puzzle called 2014-2015 California Basketball
Oakbear
Intuit said:

Where does today's visitor Christian Tucker fit in the unsolved roster puzzle called 2014-2015 California Basketball
Christian Tucker: 11.3ppg, 5.5apg, 3rpg 33rd in the nation for assist per game 41st in the nation for free throw percentage (126-144) 42nd in the nation for ...

not bad a nice piece to help complete the puzz;e
Intuit
Vladimir Pavlovic, Jerimiah Wilkinson, Christian Tucker, Aidan Mahaney seems like to crowded a spot based upon the available court time at the lead guard position. Who will be on the final roster?
Oakbear
Intuit said:

Vladimir Pavlovic, Jerimiah Wilkinson, Christian Tucker, Aidan Mahaney seems like to crowded a spot based upon the available court time at the lead guard position. Who will be on the final roster?
counting chickens before they hatch..??

would be a decent backcourt, that is for sure
Johnfox
Mahaney would play more of a Shooting Guard role
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.