Andrej Stojakovic

5,583 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by BearSD
Johnfox
How long do you want to ignore this user?

In his top 3. Can we land him?
parentswerebears
One of these teams is not like the others…
stu
parentswerebears said:

And has an assistant coach like no others ...
brevity
parentswerebears said:

Yeah... Kentucky is not in the ACC.
bearsandgiants
One is close to home.
RedlessWardrobe
Three different shades of blue.

Always go to the dark side.
3Cats4CAL
Do you think Andrej's family is discussing with him and taking into account that: The NC coach said in an interview that he sees Andrej as a backup to be developed and not a starter and that Kentucky fans see him as a 6th man/ not prime target and Kentucky's assoc coach is Fox-who while not their head coach nonetheless look at what he did here at Cal?
Johnfox
Kentucky is bringing in better players than him. He won't start at either school, but Cal.
concernedparent
3Cats4CAL said:

Do you think Andrej's family is discussing with him and taking into account that: The NC coach said in an interview that he sees Andrej as a backup to be developed and not a starter and that Kentucky fans see him as a 6th man/ not prime target and Kentucky's assoc coach is Fox-who while not their head coach nonetheless look at what he did here at Cal?
For sure. Andrej is a sure fire starter here and will have every opportunity to become one of the focal points of the offense. Of course, he might prioritize playing for a blueblood and competing for a national championship and think if it doesn't work out he can transfer again.
bearchamp
And as he is not an obvious pro candidate, he might want to get an education.
89Bear
bearchamp said:

Limited playing time at those schools will not help him become a pro candidate if that is a goal of his.
75bear
Time for Mad Dog to bring this home!
Basketball Bear
89Bear said:

bearchamp said:

Limited playing time at those schools will not help him become a pro candidate if that is a goal of his.
Eggs Ackley!
TummyoftheGB
Basketball Bear said:

89Bear said:

bearchamp said:

Eggs Ackley!
Marcus Lee's brother would like a word...Seriously, Marcus has experience with both strategies, so he could weigh in with authority on the relative benefits. Of course, he had Wyking as coach, so his time at Cal wouldn't exactly be analogous to what Stojakovic would encounter...
calumnus
TummyoftheGB said:

Basketball Bear said:

89Bear said:

bearchamp said:

Eggs Ackley!
Marcus Lee's brother would like a word...Seriously, Marcus has experience with both strategies, so he could weigh in with authority on the relative benefits. Of course, he had Wyking as coach, so his time at Cal wouldn't exactly be analogous to what Stojakovic would encounter...

Jamal Boykin
Marcus Lee
Devin Askew

Guys who came to Cal from big programs, did get lots of playing time, did not make the NBA, but left with Cal degrees.
sluggo
bearchamp said:

A year ago he was ranked top 25 in the country in his graduating class. He may have slipped a little last year, but he will definitely be a professional basketball player, whether in the United States or elsewhere. He could be a professional tomorrow if he wanted.

Even if he was smarter than the average joe, if I was his father I would tell him to focus on basketball. An education can come whenever he is done with basketball.

sluggo
Hopefully he wants to go where he can be a first option, and I think he could be a first option at Cal. Some nice players have been added, but there are lots of shots to be had.
89Bear
sluggo said:

bearchamp said:

A year ago he was ranked top 25 in the country in his graduating class. He may have slipped a little last year, but he will definitely be a professional basketball player, whether in the United States or elsewhere. He could be a professional tomorrow if he wanted.

Even if he was smarter than the average joe, if I was his father I would tell him to focus on basketball. An education can come whenever he is done with basketball.

And I'm sure the Bears are talking about what 1 year at Cal did to up Tyson's pro options.
oskidunker
89Bear said:

sluggo said:

bearchamp said:

And I'm sure the Bears are talking about what 1 year at Cal did to up Tyson's pro options.

My guess is North Carolina
Go Bears!
DaveT
Most valuable thing for him is minutes and opportunities to showcase his talent. He gets those at Cal. He'll fight for playing time and shots at the other schools.
stu
DaveT said:

Most valuable thing for him is minutes and opportunities to showcase his talent. He gets those at Cal. He'll fight for playing time and shots at the other schools.
I'd say coaching is most valuable. That will make him better which will make him visible.
philbert

calbear80
Yes, YES, ANDERJ IS A GOLDEN BEAR!

Go Bears!
Pittstop
Did Madsen ever play against Stojakovich's dad, Peja, in the NBA? Or, did they know each other?
Big C
Pittstop said:

Did Madsen ever play against Stojakovich's dad, Peja, in the NBA? Or, did they know each other?

When Madsen started in the NBA, Stojakovic had already been there for several years. When Madsen stopped playing Peja was still there (for a bit longer). Surely they knew each other.
Pittstop
Big C said:

Pittstop said:

When Madsen started in the NBA, Stojakovic had already been there for several years. When Madsen stopped playing Peja was still there (for a bit longer). Surely they knew each other.

Thanks, Big C. I did look it up after I posted my question, and Madsen's NBA career spanned 8 years, from 2000-2008. 2 seasons with the Lakers (and 2 NBA championships), and 6 seasons with the Timberwolves. Peja retired in 2011, so they played in the NBA at the same time for Madsen's entire NBA career. Undoubtedly they crossed paths and competed against one another a lot over 8 seasons. Then Peja went into the Kings front office and ultimately became assistant General Manager at Sac. Madsen's personality, charisma, high character, academic and NBA background and connections are a huge advantage for Cal BB recruiting.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Big C said:

Pittstop said:

From the ESPN story about Andrej committing to Cal:

"I didn't know him at all. My dad didn't know him personally. He came to the house that same week I entered the portal," Stojakovic said. "The stories and experiences he was able to share with my dad the first time meeting, we kind of bonded over each other's goals. What he wants to accomplish for his team, but his vision for myself. He truly believes in me, the staff truly believes in me. That's all someone like me could ask for."

So, apparently the Stojakovics didn't know Madsen before the recruitment started.

Big C
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Big C said:

Pittstop said:

"I didn't know him at all. My dad didn't know him personally. He came to the house that same week I entered the portal," Stojakovic said. "The stories and experiences he was able to share with my dad the first time meeting, we kind of bonded over each other's goals. What he wants to accomplish for his team, but his vision for myself. He truly believes in me, the staff truly believes in me. That's all someone like me could ask for."

So, apparently the Stojakovics didn't know Madsen before the recruitment started.

Stojakovic was in the NBA every year that Madsen was, so they played in games against each other probably over a dozen times. Almost impossible that they never met, especially what with Madsen being quite the outgoing fellow. Perhaps they never "hung out". Maybe I am grasping at semantics here...
oskidunker
Has anyone ever transfered from Stanford to Cal as a basketball player? I doubt it. In the old days I think you would have to sit out 2 years ifbyou transfered in conference
Go Bears!
01Bear
Big C said:

Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Big C said:

Pittstop said:

Stojakovic was in the NBA every year that Madsen was, so they played in games against each other probably over a dozen times. Almost impossible that they never met, especially what with Madsen being quite the outgoing fellow. Perhaps they never "hung out". Maybe I am grasping at semantics here...

Agreed. Per Andrej's quote, Peja didn't know Madsen personally. They definitely played against each other professionally and knew one another that way. But it's not surprising that they didn't know one any personally; the NBA may be a small brotherhood, but not everyone hangs out with everyone else.

Also, in an interview, Shaq mentioned how he kept Madsen from getting involved with the party scene. While I'm not saying Peja was involved in that
scene, it does seem like Madsen may have been less socially involved than other NBA players.
BearSD
Nice endorsement from a former Bear basketball star.
calumnus
BearSD said:

Nice endorsement from a former Bear basketball star.

And brother of one of the coaching candidates who lost out to Madsen and father of a top player in the portal…..

BearSD
calumnus said:

And brother of one of the coaching candidates who lost out to Madsen and father of a top player in the portal…..
Jabri is not in the portal anymore, and not in the NBA draft either. He announced that he is transferring to Providence.
https://www.instagram.com/p/C5yus6Zg7MG/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

https://www.providencejournal.com/story/sports/college/2024/04/15/jabri-abdur-rahim-pledged-to-the-friars-via-his-social-media-networks-hes-the-son-of-shareef-abdur-r/73332304007/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.