Alex Morgan Plays Subtle Role in U.S. Win in Gold Cup Final

677 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by concordtom
oski003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.si.com/college/cal/other-sports/alex-morgan-gold-cup-final

Americans top Brazil for title. Did former Cal star Morgan do enough to earn a spot on the U.S. Olympic team?

Former Cal standout Alex Morgan did not score the goal in the United States' 1-0 victory over Brazil in the Concacaf Gold Cup final on Sunday, but if you look closely you will notice the role she played in Lindsey Horan's goal.

When Emily Fox's long pass off a set piece headed into the box, Morgan used positioning and an inconspicuous nudge to prevent Brazil defender Antonia from getting very off the ground . That in turn allowed Horan to get above the crowd and head the ball into the goal in the first minute of stoppage time in the first half.
concordtom
Good topic. Keep it coming.

I didn't get to see any of these games, but I saw Jaedyn Shaw debut last summer (or thereabouts) and was immediately impressed.

Meanwhile, I haven't been impressed with Morgan in probably 6 years.

Probably the best thing said about Morgan's chances to make Paris came at the very end of this video.
Morgan and Shaw star together at the San Diego pro team. This means they will build a sense for each other's movements, which is really important in soccer.
concordtom
This December article took at stab at projecting the 18 who'd make Paris.

https://prosoccerwire.usatoday.com/lists/uswnt-2024-olympic-roster-projecting-the-18-players-for-paris/

The article projects 5 forwards to play 3 positions.

Trinity Rodman
Sophia Smith
Jaedyn Shaw
Malorie (Pugh) Swanson
Lynn Williams

Alex Morgan
Macario

Marcario and Smith were the young up and comers a few years ago. But then Pugh/Swanson started dominating.
Marcario has been out for over 18 months with an ACL. Can she come back?
Can Pugh make it back to form?

In this tournament there is less subs available so fitness and recovery will be key. That favors the younger players. Williams and Morgan older.

Shaw just won the golden boot in the tournament. Basically, she's the IT player now. 19 years old!
concordtom
Paris qualification

In the women's tournament, the following teams have qualified already:

France
United States
Canada
Brazil
Colombia
New Zealand
Spain
Japan
Australia
Germany
Two spots are left up for grabs in the women's tournament that will be decided at the 2024 CAF Women's Olympic Qualifying Tournament. Teams still with a chance of qualifying include Ghana, Zambia, Tunisia, Morocco, Cameroon, Nigeria, Tanzania and South Africa. The qualifying tournament is currently ongoing and will conclude on April 9.
concordtom
Mallory is making her way back from injury, working out with the national team last month.

U.S. women's national team coach Twila Kilgore has named her 23-player roster for the upcoming CONCACAF W Gold Cup, with three additional training players that will participate in the pre-tournament camp, including forward Mallory Swanson. This will be Swanson's official return to the national team environment following her recovery from a torn patellar tendon last April.

"Mal will come in and be Mal. We're thrilled to have her back in the camp environment," Kilgore said. "We know that in anything that Mal's doing, she brings a really high level of professionalism, a high level of execution. We believe she's absolutely ready for the step, and she's just a really important leader in this team."
concordtom
Catarina Macario is also
Making her way back after 22 months.

This was written about her 3 weeks ago, and since she's come off the bench for Chelsea twice and scored twice, including yesterday.

Chelsea and USWNT forward Catarina Macario is expected to return to action after February's international break following over 20 months out through injury.

The 24-year-old suffered an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury while playing for former side Lyon in June 2022 and has not featured since, missing the 2023 World Cup.

Macario joined Chelsea in the summer but her debut has been put on hold as she continues her recovery.

"I think Cat Macario will partake in a game during the international break," Chelsea manager Emma Hayes said. "She will be available after the international break, I think."

She's an attacking midfielder at Chelsea. She had been a forward at USWNT.
We'll see.
concordtom
Having updated myself, I predict youth movement for the new coach:

Shaw
Rodman
Pugh-Swanson
Smith
Macario

Morgan and Williams out. Lynn is fast but she fails to have that finishing touch in front of goal. At least in years past.

oski003
concordtom said:

Having updated myself, I predict youth movement for the new coach:

Shaw
Rodman
Pugh-Swanson
Smith
Macario

Morgan and Williams out. Lynn is fast but she fails to have that finishing touch in front of goal. At least in years past.

I don't see anyone on that list who has Morgan's aerial skills, although I don't see why Rodman couldn't develop such.
Cal88
oski003 said:

https://www.si.com/college/cal/other-sports/alex-morgan-gold-cup-final

Americans top Brazil for title. Did former Cal star Morgan do enough to earn a spot on the U.S. Olympic team?

Former Cal standout Alex Morgan did not score the goal in the United States' 1-0 victory over Brazil in the Concacaf Gold Cup final on Sunday, but if you look closely you will notice the role she played in Lindsey Horan's goal.

When Emily Fox's long pass off a set piece headed into the box, Morgan used positioning and an inconspicuous nudge to prevent Brazil defender Antonia from getting very off the ground . That in turn allowed Horan to get above the crowd and head the ball into the goal in the first minute of stoppage time in the first half.

Veteran move, well done Alex.

This being said, Spain's women are a cut above the USWNT, they don't use those long game tactics to score. The women's game is changing as Europe is catching up. The women's game favors good technique as the game is slower and the field "bigger", leaving more space for a player with high technical skills to dominate.
blungld
When Alex is on her game she still has pace and savvy, but...she also has a little bit on an old guard vibe and a sense of entitlement based on past success. When teams get physical with her or she has a few bad touches she gets pouty and her game unravels. I have been a HUGE fan of hers but it is time for the next generation.

Forwards/Attacking mids: Moultrie, Shaw, Purce, Swanson, Rodman, Fishel, Huerta, and Macario.

Rodman can be temperamental too, but she has fight and is too talented to give up on. I would move on from Williams and Morgan.

I also want to move on from Dahlkemper & Sonnet.

Dunn is so frustrating. Great talent and experience but for all her skill on offense, when she attacks from the back she NEVER scores, her crosses are lacking, and she consistently beats one defender and then does not attack the space she creates (passes to no one or out of play or to the other team). If Dunn could up her attacks she would add so much to this team.

Girma and Cook are nails.
concordtom

Tower of Power Sam Mewis retired in January, unable to recover after 2 years of knee trouble rehab.
concordtom
Julie Johnston Ertz retired

Megan Rapinoe retired.
concordtom
USWNT, 4pm today.

Second game of SheBelieves Cup today.
Alex Morgan did NOT play well in game1 in my opinion, and I won't be surprised if she is left off the 18-man Olympics team.

New coaches often go with the youth movement in order to build longer term rather than hold onto old vestiges.

Becky Sauerbrunn also at risk.
Lynn Williams
Kelly O'Hara
Crystal Dunn
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.