The sun, the moon, and the stars

1,366 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by bearister
bear2034
How long do you want to ignore this user?

There will be total solar eclipse on April 8 that will cross the U.S. from Texas to the northeast and parts of Canada. Prepare your hearts and minds.
Cal88

bearister
Does tRump go blind this time around?

Well, we all shine on
Like the moon and the stars and the sun
Well, we all shine on
Everyone come on
-John Lennon, Instant Karma
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
concordtom
I've been communicating with lots of people around the US about their plans. My TX family looks to get shut out due to weather.
Others in OKC are driving to Idabel OK in the southeast corner of the state and think they'll be good.
My step sister in NE Pennsylvania has a meeting south of Syracuse and should have good weather, but she and her husband are not into it, which blows me away. She's like, "we saw the one in NJ in 1970, and a couple others, so we're good."
No, Pam. You saw a Partial. The difference between partial and totality is EVERYTHING, they say.

The weather maps are now showing that we should all fly to Quebec and drive south for the best cloud free sky tomorrow
concordtom
Zoom in for great detail

concordtom

New National
Weather forecast at 2pm EDT
Oakbear
nancy reagan was big on this stuff ..

blungld
Fingers crossed, I am excited about tomorrow. My home gets partial 97% but I am driving 2 hours inland from the coast to get the full total eclipse.
prospeCt
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/863424.The_Marriage_of_the_Sun_and_Moon_

bear2034

Driving towards the Solar Eclipse Path of Totality before the Eclipse Day of Visibility.
bear2034
bearister said:

Well, we all shine on
Like the moon and the stars and the sun
Well, we all shine on
Everyone come on
-John Lennon, Instant Karma

There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars.
-Luke 21:25
bear2034
bearister
Oakbear said:

…and also smacking the sh@it out of her daughter, Patti, while high on prescription pharmaceuticals.
concordtom
blungld said:

Fingers crossed, I am excited about tomorrow. My home gets partial 97% but I am driving 2 hours inland from the coast to get the full total eclipse.

Good for you.
Leave early. Don't get caught in traffic.
Report back here.
Big C

To each his own, but these people who go out of their way to see eclipses are boring af. "Look at me: I do have sort of a spiritual side!"
GoOskie
Oakbear said:

nancy reagan would stuff on that big ...
prospeCt
- relatively few curmudgeons have yet, or ever will, witnessed 'the greatest ( only* ) show in our Universe', knock yourself out, or not . . .

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/06/science/eclipse-prediction-ancient-greece-thales.html [ pay-wall ]

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/thales-predicts-eclipse-mystery-ancient-greece

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/eclipse-psychology-how-the-2024-total-solar-eclipse-will-unite-people/

https://www.usnews.com/news/entertainment/articles/2024-04-03/solar-eclipse-playlist-20-songs-to-rock-out-to-on-your-cosmic-adventure

https://www.pastemagazine.com/music/eclipse/15-songs-for-watching-the-solar-eclipse

concordtom
Song of the day, will play at the moment in Cleveland

concordtom
Big C said:

To each his own, but these people who go out of their way to see eclipses are boring af. "Look at me: I do have sort of a spiritual side!"

Or, how about if it's just fun to experience the sky looking different than any other day.

It's not like nighttime because there is a 360 golden sunset.

And I heard that the difference between 99% and 100% eclipse… 1% is like the amount of light as 10,000 full moonlights. So, ya gotta be in the path of totality to get the full effect.

Now, remember that weird day several years ago when the Bay Area sky turned orange from the fires like never before? And we all posted images here?

Anyways, it's neat to be reminded of our place in the universe. We are specks so insignificant. Pondering the vastness of the distances between the sun the earth and the moon allows us to have a fresh perspective. And then tomorrow it will be back to hating on Trump!
Cal88
concordtom said:

Song of the day, will play at the moment in Cleveland

bear2034
Zippergate
bear2034
Interesting. And if the sun were a little closer or further away there would be no life on earth. If the moon were a little closer, I suppose the ocean tides and a bunch of other things would be messed up.
bear2034

• Draw a radius of the Earth (1).
  • Draw a line from the center point of the Earth to the center point of the Moon (square root of Phi).
  • Draw a line to connect the two lines to form a Golden Triangle (Phi).

The dimensions of the Earth and Moon are in Phi relationship, forming a Triangle based on 1.618, otherwise known as the Golden Ratio.

This triangle is known as a Kepler Triangle. This geometric construction is the same as that which appears to have been used in the construction of the Great Pyramid of Egypt.
concordtom
Lots of eclipse photos from family in the path of totality arrived via text.
Unfortunately, BI no longer (for many years now) allows us to upload them for sharing.
Big C

^ Seriously. If only we could post our crappy photos of the eclipse here…

bearister
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.