The Real Book About The White Working Class

330 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Palestinian Chicken
Lets Go Brandon 19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.racket.news/p/the-real-book-about-the-white-working
Quote:

Leopold has spent much of his career agitating for union causes. and though he's persistently criticized the Democratic Party, it's because he's chiding them for too often advancing interests of wealthy donors over workers, which he sees both as a moral problem and bad electoral strategy. Wall Street's War on Workers goes further, however, penetrating one of the chief media deceptions of the 21st century, namely that working-class voters are driven by racism and xenophobia, and not by a more simple, enraging motive: they've been repeatedly ripped off, by the wealthy donors to both parties.

As we discuss below, Leopold is going to have a hard time getting booked on Morning Joe or receiving shout-outs in Paul Krugman columns when his book features sections like "The Mischaracterization of White Working Class Politics" and "The Continued Mischaracterization of Populism." The book is in the tradition of Thomas Frank's seminal history of anti-populism, The People, No, which described the original Populist Party clashing with New York banking interests on issues like free silver, and quickly found itself caricatured, forever, as bigoted, stupid, and dangerous. Leopold is telling a similar story, but is more focused on the idiosyncrasies of the current clash, which he sees as rooted in competing narratives about a number: 30 million, his estimate of the number of laid-off Americans since 1996:

Eastern Oregon Bear
Palestinian Chicken said:

https://www.racket.news/p/the-real-book-about-the-white-working
Quote:

Leopold has spent much of his career agitating for union causes. and though he's persistently criticized the Democratic Party, it's because he's chiding them for too often advancing interests of wealthy donors over workers, which he sees both as a moral problem and bad electoral strategy. Wall Street's War on Workers goes further, however, penetrating one of the chief media deceptions of the 21st century, namely that working-class voters are driven by racism and xenophobia, and not by a more simple, enraging motive: they've been repeatedly ripped off, by the wealthy donors to both parties.

As we discuss below, Leopold is going to have a hard time getting booked on Morning Joe or receiving shout-outs in Paul Krugman columns when his book features sections like "The Mischaracterization of White Working Class Politics" and "The Continued Mischaracterization of Populism." The book is in the tradition of Thomas Frank's seminal history of anti-populism, The People, No, which described the original Populist Party clashing with New York banking interests on issues like free silver, and quickly found itself caricatured, forever, as bigoted, stupid, and dangerous. Leopold is telling a similar story, but is more focused on the idiosyncrasies of the current clash, which he sees as rooted in competing narratives about a number: 30 million, his estimate of the number of laid-off Americans since 1996:

Have you read the book or are you just quoting a puff piece?
bearister
None of it justifies putting tRump in office as a punishment and lesson to moderate Democrats that this is just how it is going to be until they let Progressives take over the party and be the presidential candidates.

Matt T. clearly (or is it subtly) being an advocate for administering that punishment and lesson:

"The next little thing about this vote-for-the-lesser-evil trick, of course…and this is no secret to anyone anymore…..is that it drives all the "serious" candidates toward what is commonly referred to as the "moderate center," even if these serious candidates aren't, in fact, moderate or centrist in any meaningful sense and the so-called center moves further to the right with each election cycle. For nearly two decades now this process has been steadily advancing on the Democratic side, as liberals are trained to accept the idea that the national majority will never accept a true labor party, or any candidate perceived as "soft" on defense."
-Matt Taibbi
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Lets Go Brandon 19
https://substack.com/inbox/post/143493038

Quote:

MT: Chris, I'm sorry, one last little thing. If you go back to the seventies, eighties, journalists were unfailingly educated liberal types, they loved identifying with working people, even in a phony way! Pop culture was full of stories lionizing the working person: Norma Rae, Silkwood, every New York apartment had a Studs Turkel book in it. Where did that go?

Chris Hedges: That was all fake anyway, Matt. I mean, look, I went to Harvard Divinity School and I lived in a housing project in Roxbury, and I used to commute into Cambridge to go to class with all my students who were talking about empowering people they never met. Liberalism has always had that veneer.

Palestinian Chicken
Matt Taibbi and Walter Kirn react to the liberal outrage about Berliner's column about NPR. For a good chuckle, skip ahead to 1:17:53 as they lampoon how bad NPR has gotten.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.