Supreme Court: presidential Immunity hearing

1,364 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by concordtom
chazzed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
chazzed
bearister said:

After the SCOTUS rules in favor of tRump's immunity argument and tRump "wins" the election….

A tRump political enemy getting a firm Putining.

bearister
President tRump calls in a drone strike on his political enemies.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Unit2Sucks
I'm still waiting for conservatives to chime in on where they think the line stands. Can someone let me know what exactly presidents can and can't do?

bearister
There is no line with regard to any action taken to tear down our existing form of government and replace it with a White Christian regime that allows aggrieved White people to impose their religious and racial views on society, on public schools, on the public square and on the laws of the nation.*

*Robert Kagan
bear2034
bearister said:

There is no line with regard to any action taken to tear down our existing form of government and replace it with a White Christian regime that allows aggrieved White people to impose their religious and racial views on society, on public schools, on the public square and on the laws of the nation.*

*Robert Kagan

There is no line with regard to any action taken to tear down our existing form of government and replace it with a Globalist Communist regime that allows anonymous bureaucrats to impose their political and un-American views on society, on public schools, on the public square and on the laws of the nation.*

*bear2034
tequila4kapp
Unit2Sucks said:

I'm still waiting for conservatives to chime in on where they think the line stands. Can someone let me know what exactly presidents can and can't do?

I am uncomfortable with the proposed legal construct, as it presupposes absolute immunity exits and that such immunity must be superseded / limited by explicit legislative action. I can't think of any other C right that is absolute, so that premise here just doesn't resonate with me.

Rights have to have some origin; Presidential immunity isn't in the C. Since this is an unenumerated right I trend toward thinking the proper path is for Congress to expressly creat presidential Immunity then define the boundaries of that immunity (ie, create the right), rather than Congress having to say where it does not exist.
Unit2Sucks
tequila4kapp said:

Unit2Sucks said:

I am uncomfortable with the proposed legal construct, as it presupposes absolute immunity exits and that such immunity must be superseded / limited by explicit legislative action. I can't think of any other C right that is absolute, so that premise here just doesn't resonate with me.

Rights have to have some origin; Presidential immunity isn't in the C. Since this is an unenumerated right and it's not in the C I trend toward thinking the proper path is for Congress to expressly creat presidential Immunity then define the boundaries of that immunity (ie, create the right), rather than Congress having to say where it does not exist.
Thank you for responding. So given that there is no express statutory or constitutional authority for presidential immunity, is your starting point that it doesn't currently exist?

My operating assumption is that the conservative majority pays lip service to textualism in its eventual opinion. It will likely rely on cherry-picked historical precedent in order to arrive at a pre-determined outcome. Hopefully that outcome is something close to how most people would already expect it to work and which is consistent with existing supreme court precedent (eg US v Nixon). I wouldn't be surprised if they come up with some novel tweak on qualified immunity or go back to MS v Johnson for inspiration.

tequila4kapp
Unit2Sucks said:

tequila4kapp said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Rights have to have some origin; Presidential immunity isn't in the C. Since this is an unenumerated right and it's not in the C I trend toward thinking the proper path is for Congress to expressly creat presidential Immunity then define the boundaries of that immunity (ie, create the right), rather than Congress having to say where it does not exist.
Thank you for responding. So given that there is no express statutory or constitutional authority for presidential immunity, is your starting point that it doesn't currently exist?

My operating assumption is that the conservative majority pays lip service to textualism in its eventual opinion. It will likely rely on cherry-picked historical precedent in order to arrive at a pre-determined outcome. Hopefully that outcome is something close to how most people would already expect it to work and which is consistent with existing supreme court precedent (eg US v Nixon). I wouldn't be surprised if they come up with some novel tweak on qualified immunity or go back to MS v Johnson for inspiration.
Basically, yes. Caveat that there is existing SCOTUS case law in this area (Nixon, Clinton, etc) and I'm not up to speed on those cases or how/why they allow for President Immunity. So I'm pretty sure my view isn't going to purely happen and I am not sure where to go from the existing case law.
bearister
bear2034 said:

bearister said:

*Robert Kagan

There is no line with regard to any action taken to tear down our existing form of government and replace it with a Globalist Communist regime that allows anonymous bureaucrats to impose their political and un-American views on society, on public schools, on the public square and on the laws of the nation.*

*bear2034

concordtom
bearister said:

After the SCOTUS rules in favor of tRump's immunity argument and tRump "wins" the election….

A tRump political enemy getting a firm Putining.

Which is why Biden needs to take Trump out after this Scotus ruling.
Congress will be shocking into passing a law or an amendment overturning scotus.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.