Easter

3,292 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by dajo9
blungld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Unit2Sucks said:

You still haven't told us why you think it is that certain people who celebrate Easter will be offended by a different day randomly coinciding with Easter this year.
Gee, it's almost as if there are people who believe being Trans is anti-Christian. Oh that's right, being homophobic and transphobic is all part of the neat tidy package bundled into the tribe of Christian Nationalism where rather than following the Bible's actual preaching isn't the point it is aligning with the politics and the group think and asserting what is and is not "normal" as if that is the enterprise of Jesus who was oddly silent on trans and gay issues but fairly vocal on acceptance and who could fairly be labeled as anti-bigotry.

But these people are beyond the compassion of Christianity and only use it as an in-group/out-group excuse.

PS - As a fun aside, why do you never hear fundamentalists argue that being trans is "normal"when the very act of converting Adam's rib into woman is an act of transgender? That in the Bible itself there is no gender until two are created and they are really just two manifestations of one? I mean you could be a Biblical literalist and make the argument that trans is normal and that gender is a spectrum...etc. But no, they will just pretend the Bible is anti-trans and is if this is a burning social moral issue though it is entirely manufactured and exploited by right wing politicians desperate for a new wedge issue to get votes by the sheepish followers of religion who do exactly what they are told to do: namely persecute group X. The defining characteristic of the modern American Christian is identifying who to hate. For all their talk of love, why does one never think of Christians as a whole as loving inclusive force in our society but always the divisive judgmental angry rights-stealing book-banning narrow-minded anti-science thought policing ambassadors of telling everyone else how to live?
Unit2Sucks
BearGoggles said:

I said "if" because, as is your habit, you provided no link substantiating your claim that the complained about conflation of TDOV and Easter was based on events occurring before Easter. I've learned not to take your claims at face value.

And sure enough, my suspicions were correct. You're just incapable of debating in good faith by admitting any fact not aligned with your politics. The truth is Biden tweeted on EASTER about TDOV (or someone did from his account). So, in fact, he did not let Easter be Easter. And contrary to your claim, on Easter Sunday, his focus was not "entirely on Easter" (your words). That is just objectively false.

Politically idiotic move by Biden.

Did he talk about easter during the White House easter celebration? The proclamation went out on Friday (2 days before Easter).

I thought Republicans like you told us not to worry about tweets.

Your guy is under indictment for 80+ felony counts, has lost over $500M in judgments in the last few months and regularly makes awful public statements. And you're going to pretend that a pretty bland tweet like this is a "politically idiotic move." C'mon man. This is just your bias showing.
calbear93
Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

I said "if" because, as is your habit, you provided no link substantiating your claim that the complained about conflation of TDOV and Easter was based on events occurring before Easter. I've learned not to take your claims at face value.

And sure enough, my suspicions were correct. You're just incapable of debating in good faith by admitting any fact not aligned with your politics. The truth is Biden tweeted on EASTER about TDOV (or someone did from his account). So, in fact, he did not let Easter be Easter. And contrary to your claim, on Easter Sunday, his focus was not "entirely on Easter" (your words). That is just objectively false.

Did he talk about easter during the White House easter celebration? The proclamation went out on Friday (2 days before Easter).

Your guy is under indictment for 80+ felony counts, has lost over $500M in judgments in the last few months and regularly makes awful public statements. And you're going to pretend that a pretty bland tweet like this is a "politically idiotic move." C'mon man. This is just your bias showing.
You are convinced this didn't hurt him (whether justifiable or not). I hope you are right.

If we boil down the topic to only a question of whether this hurt his chances in a close race, then most of this back and forth is white noise. It all comes down to not what you think or what I think, since we have already decided to vote for Biden.

It comes down to what undecided voters do (clearly people who share your views will not be undecided). Did this help, hurt or not come close to moving the needle, and why? I think it is at best a small distraction that he didn't need, moving people to social war issues instead of things that matter like crime, immigration, economy, geopolitical tensions. But, again, I hope you are right and this didn't hurt him because, like you, I dread the blustering charlatan being in the White House for four more years giving the sniveling Republican party even more reason to act like slaves to some Trump master.
Unit2Sucks
calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

You are convinced this didn't hurt him (whether justifiable or not). I hope you are right.

If we boil down the topic to only a question of whether this hurt his chances in a close race, then most of this back and forth is white noise. It all comes down to not what you think or what I think, since we have already decided to vote for Biden.

It comes down to what undecided voters do (clearly people who share your views will not be undecided). Did this help, hurt or not come close to moving the needle, and why? I think it is at best a small distraction that he didn't need, moving people to social war issues instead of things that matter like crime, immigration, economy, geopolitical tensions. But, again, I hope you are right and this didn't hurt him because, like you, I dread the blustering charlatan being in the White House for four more years giving the sniveling Republican party even more reason to act like slaves to some Trump master.
What you are really asking is whether disingenuous political attacks are effective. Whether Biden did this or something else, he would have been subject to a disingenuous political attack. A lot of people on BI amplified this attack and told us why Biden made a mistake.

This is a repeating cycle and you guys will do this numerous times over the next 6 months.

It will happen in reverse as well. Progressives will launch disingenuous attacks against Trump, and his defenders (hi BG) will show up to tell us why it doesn't matter.

There are some very real risks that Biden has. The perception of his role in the Gaza conflict is a problem for him. The perception of his role in the Ukraine conflict is a problem for him. No one will care or talk about the fact that he made a proclamation 2 days before Easter regarding the annual observance of TDOV (or care that someone tweeted the message out on Easter morning).

Similarly, Trump won't lose a single vote for his ridiculous lawsuit against his Truth Social co-founders or any of the numerous frivolous lawsuits that he files and loses. Are they political liabilities? They probably would be in any sane world. If Biden did even one of them, BG would probably dance like it's 1999, because it would be an incredibly moment for grandstanding. But for Trump, that stuff is meaningless because he does so so many even worse things.

I enjoy talking about this incredibly pointless conversation because I think it's up there with Tan suit gate, latte salute gate, dijon mustard gate, helmet gate, selfie stick gate and so many other right wing freakouts over Obama.

bear2034
Unit2Sucks said:

Biden said he didn't tweet it.
concordtom
Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

What you are really asking is whether disingenuous political attacks are effective. Whether Biden did this or something else, he would have been subject to a disingenuous political attack. A lot of people on BI amplified this attack and told us why Biden made a mistake.

This is a repeating cycle and you guys will do this numerous times over the next 6 months.

It will happen in reverse as well. Progressives will launch disingenuous attacks against Trump,

(record scratch)

HALT!!!

Stop right there!!
There are NO disingenuous attacks on Trump. All of them are valid, and appreciated.

Okay, carry on.
bear2034

The Trans Day of Visibility episode is a symptom of a larger problem. Who is controlling Biden? Who is running the country?
Oakbear
"Trans Day of Visibility"

bud lite probably wishes Dylan she was INvisible LOL

bear2034

The manifesto from the Nashville Christian school mass shooter is still invisible.
Oakbear
Oakbear said:

I am so woke, without even thinking about it, I called her 'she"
bear2034
Oakbear said:

Oakbear said:

You're transitioning.
Unit2Sucks
Oakbear said:

Oakbear said:

Turns out pronouns aren't that hard to use.
BearGoggles
dajo9 said:

BearGoggles said:

Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

It seems to me Biden could/should have issued the TDOV announcement a day early (maybe even have an event at the white house, etc.) and then let Easter be Easter.
Just to be clear, he did issue the TDOV announcement a day early (on March 30th), so you will need to change your narrative to say two days earlier or whatever. On Sunday his focus was entirely on Easter and he said religious-y stuff that was far more genuine than any similar comments Trump has ever made: "reminds us of the power of hope and the promise of Christ's Resurrection. As we gather with loved ones, we remember Jesus' sacrifice. We pray for one another and cherish the blessing of the dawn of new possibilities." You will note that he did not conflate or introduce TDOV in any of his comments about Easter because there is no relation between the two events.

This is such a silly fake outrage. No one really cares. It will not have any individual impact on the election. The guy running against Biden is an actual extremist who has said he wants to be a dictator on day one and whose team is preparing to implement a radical agenda and you are pretending like Biden issuing a meaningless proclamation is an issue.

I concede that it's possible that America makes a disastrous choice in November and re-elects Trump, and that if it happens the constant stream of fake outrage may contribute to overwhelming swing voters with this sort of propaganda, but you can't honestly pretend like anyone actually cares about this stuff.

And just to pile on, almost every public statement that a politician makes is pandering. Why is Biden making comments about Jesus' resurrection not just pandering to Christians? There is no official government business having anything to do with Jesus dying for people's sins or being resurrected. He's not allowed to advance Christianity or Catholicism as a state religion or otherwise violate the first amendment, so he has to make similar pronouncements on other religious holy days. In the past year, he has made public pronouncements about passover, diwali, ramadan and other non-Christian religions. Were those pandering as well? Or is it only pandering when he makes comments about non-religious moments that some people care about?

In a few days you guys will have a new fake outrage event which Christopher Rufo and other right wing extremists will use to activate the conservative movement and which no one will really care about but will be weaponized against Biden. Sure, people like you will say, Trump is facing 80+ felony charges and is a horrible person, but Biden didn't use his hand single while making a left hand turn on his bicycle. This is what you guys have to do in order to avoid acknowledging that Biden's presidency has taken us away from the chaos of Trump and toward peace and prosperity. You all know that Trump would bring us right back to chaos but you continue to do everything you can to ensure that he's elected even while claiming not to support him.
If he did release it the day before, then I agree this seems over blown. But it was also politically stupid.

It is remarkable that you simply assume that because you 'don't care about this stuff" others do not. The political and social demands of the Trans movement are very much a political hot button whether you choose to acknowledge it or not. Celebrating Easter, Passover, Ramadan, etc. is not controversial. Biden, who professes to be Catholic, is not pandering by celebrating his own faith.

And, as usual, you continue to make specious allegations about me. Its absurd to say I do "everything" to ensure he's elected when I've done nothing - didn't vote for him, haven't given him a dollar, etc. I've repeatedly said he's a horrible person and his behavior is not in any way presidential. Your definition of "everything" is certainly unusual.

In terms of chaos, it is pick your poison. Biden and his administration have created their own chaos, albeit in very different ways than Trump. Multiple wars, inflation, border/immigration mayhem, aggressive tactics from China and Russia, and many foreign policy missteps all fall on Biden. Biden also has his own set of moral failings, notably his families grifting.

Barring a last minute change, the election choices are awful. People with TDS have no ability to see that and/or acknowledge that people on both sides are voting for WHAT THEY PERCEIVE as the least bad candidate.
You gave one piece of constructive feedback indicating that if he made his proclamation on a different day and "let Easter be Easter" it would have been better. For what it's worth, he actually issued the proclamation 2 days earlier this year (on Friday). That just gave the anti-LGBTQ GOP extremists more time to generate faux outrage.

Then you said "I agree this seems over blown" "If he did" the thing you wanted. There is no "if" here. He made a proclamation two days before Easter. He didn't intermingle his quite religious Easter message with any other message. How hard is it for you to just admit that this is actually overblown, as you surmised it would be if things turned out to be as you said they might be?

I'm sorry that happened to you
It didn't happen to me. It arguably happened to you since apparently you're an ardent Biden supporter and it is clear this tweet didn't help him. I'm not outraged by this tweet or TDOV day for that matter.

dajo9
BearGoggles said:

dajo9 said:

BearGoggles said:

Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

It seems to me Biden could/should have issued the TDOV announcement a day early (maybe even have an event at the white house, etc.) and then let Easter be Easter.
Just to be clear, he did issue the TDOV announcement a day early (on March 30th), so you will need to change your narrative to say two days earlier or whatever. On Sunday his focus was entirely on Easter and he said religious-y stuff that was far more genuine than any similar comments Trump has ever made: "reminds us of the power of hope and the promise of Christ's Resurrection. As we gather with loved ones, we remember Jesus' sacrifice. We pray for one another and cherish the blessing of the dawn of new possibilities." You will note that he did not conflate or introduce TDOV in any of his comments about Easter because there is no relation between the two events.

This is such a silly fake outrage. No one really cares. It will not have any individual impact on the election. The guy running against Biden is an actual extremist who has said he wants to be a dictator on day one and whose team is preparing to implement a radical agenda and you are pretending like Biden issuing a meaningless proclamation is an issue.

I concede that it's possible that America makes a disastrous choice in November and re-elects Trump, and that if it happens the constant stream of fake outrage may contribute to overwhelming swing voters with this sort of propaganda, but you can't honestly pretend like anyone actually cares about this stuff.

And just to pile on, almost every public statement that a politician makes is pandering. Why is Biden making comments about Jesus' resurrection not just pandering to Christians? There is no official government business having anything to do with Jesus dying for people's sins or being resurrected. He's not allowed to advance Christianity or Catholicism as a state religion or otherwise violate the first amendment, so he has to make similar pronouncements on other religious holy days. In the past year, he has made public pronouncements about passover, diwali, ramadan and other non-Christian religions. Were those pandering as well? Or is it only pandering when he makes comments about non-religious moments that some people care about?

In a few days you guys will have a new fake outrage event which Christopher Rufo and other right wing extremists will use to activate the conservative movement and which no one will really care about but will be weaponized against Biden. Sure, people like you will say, Trump is facing 80+ felony charges and is a horrible person, but Biden didn't use his hand single while making a left hand turn on his bicycle. This is what you guys have to do in order to avoid acknowledging that Biden's presidency has taken us away from the chaos of Trump and toward peace and prosperity. You all know that Trump would bring us right back to chaos but you continue to do everything you can to ensure that he's elected even while claiming not to support him.
If he did release it the day before, then I agree this seems over blown. But it was also politically stupid.

It is remarkable that you simply assume that because you 'don't care about this stuff" others do not. The political and social demands of the Trans movement are very much a political hot button whether you choose to acknowledge it or not. Celebrating Easter, Passover, Ramadan, etc. is not controversial. Biden, who professes to be Catholic, is not pandering by celebrating his own faith.

And, as usual, you continue to make specious allegations about me. Its absurd to say I do "everything" to ensure he's elected when I've done nothing - didn't vote for him, haven't given him a dollar, etc. I've repeatedly said he's a horrible person and his behavior is not in any way presidential. Your definition of "everything" is certainly unusual.

In terms of chaos, it is pick your poison. Biden and his administration have created their own chaos, albeit in very different ways than Trump. Multiple wars, inflation, border/immigration mayhem, aggressive tactics from China and Russia, and many foreign policy missteps all fall on Biden. Biden also has his own set of moral failings, notably his families grifting.

Barring a last minute change, the election choices are awful. People with TDS have no ability to see that and/or acknowledge that people on both sides are voting for WHAT THEY PERCEIVE as the least bad candidate.
You gave one piece of constructive feedback indicating that if he made his proclamation on a different day and "let Easter be Easter" it would have been better. For what it's worth, he actually issued the proclamation 2 days earlier this year (on Friday). That just gave the anti-LGBTQ GOP extremists more time to generate faux outrage.

Then you said "I agree this seems over blown" "If he did" the thing you wanted. There is no "if" here. He made a proclamation two days before Easter. He didn't intermingle his quite religious Easter message with any other message. How hard is it for you to just admit that this is actually overblown, as you surmised it would be if things turned out to be as you said they might be?

I'm sorry that happened to you
It didn't happen to me. It arguably happened to you since apparently you're an ardent Biden supporter and it is clear this tweet didn't help him. I'm not outraged by this tweet or TDOV day for that matter.

riiiiiiggggght
BearGoggles
Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

The fact that an announcement went out two days prior doesn't change the objectively true fact that the tweet was made ON EASTER. People reacted to the tweet.

Completely predictable that when caught disseminating a falsehood, you revert to "but Trump is bad too." Trump's defects - which I do not deny or defend - are not an excuse for your peddling a lie and gaslighting about what Biden did on Easter Sunday.

There is bias showing, but it is not mine.
Unit2Sucks
BearGoggles said:

Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

The fact that an announcement went out two days prior doesn't change the objectively true fact that the tweet was made ON EASTER. People reacted to the tweet.

Completely predictable that when caught disseminating a falsehood, you revert to "but Trump is bad too." Trump's defects - which I do not deny or defend - are not an excuse for your peddling a lie and gaslighting about what Biden did on Easter Sunday.

There is bias showing, but it is not mine.

LOL, the faux outrage started before the tweet.

The first I heard of this "scandal" was dajo9 posting at 2:18 on March 30th. But, sure, let's pretend that if someone in the Biden admin didn't send an innocuous tweet on March 31st, you would be singing a completely different tune.

You can pretend like this whole scandal is about a tweet, but that played no part in the right wing faux-outrage machine that has to keep people like you amped up about something because you can't win on substance.
Big C
This is a fun discussion! Can I kind of sum up where we're at?

One side: The TDOV thing is well-intended and a good thing.
Other side: It's well-intended and maybe a good thing, but bad politically because of the timing. Botched.
Lunatic fringe: Biden loves transgenders and hates Christians.

Is there anywhere else to go with this?
calbear93
Big C said:

Other side: It's well-intended and maybe a good thing, but bad politically because of the timing. Botched.

No, that was great. Was that ChatGPT 4.0 doing the summary?
Unit2Sucks
Big C said:

And we've confirmed that not a single person feigning outrage actually cares about the issue. So at best they are arguing that it's offensive to some bigots somewhere else, and why that's bad for Biden, lol.

Meanwhile, more bombs drop every week for Trump. Today there is a story that Putin-connected Russians financed Truth asocial through some shady off-shore bank in 2021. Who knows if it's true.

But do you guys remember when Obama made marines hold an umbrella? That was a scandal!
calbear93
Unit2Sucks said:

Big C said:

And we've confirmed that not a single person feigning outrage actually cares about the issue. So at best they are arguing that it's offensive to some bigots somewhere else, and why that's bad for Biden, lol.

Meanwhile, more bombs drop every week for Trump. Today there is a story that Putin-connected Russians financed Truth asocial through some shady off-shore bank in 2021. Who knows if it's true.

But do you guys remember when Obama made marines hold an umbrella? That was a scandal!
U2, I think at this point you are more outraged than anyone else posting.

Not a big issue either way. I just thought it was a foot fault that I didn't want him to make because I want him to win.

Most likely not a needle mover. But he has a lot of work to do to keep us from another four years of Trump and the Freedom Caucus nonsense.
Unit2Sucks
calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Big C said:

U2, I think at this point you are more outraged than anyone else posting.

Not a big issue either way. I just thought it was a foot fault that I didn't want him to make because I want him to win.

Most likely not a needle mover. But he has a lot of work to do to keep us from another four years of Trump and the Freedom Caucus nonsense.
Lol, I'm just having fun with it at this point. I don't think anyone is saving us from the Freedom Caucus nonsense at this point but honestly we are lucky that the insane people in charge of the GOP are incapable of accomplishing anything.
bear2034
Big C said:

Silent majority: The White House must be run by a lunatic fringe if they think it's okay to celebrate the TDOV, especially on the same day as Easter.
bear2034
Unit2Sucks said:

Oakbear said:

Oakbear said:

Turns out pronouns aren't that hard to use.

My preferred pronouns are Trump / won.
Big C
calbear93 said:

Big C said:

No, that was great. Was that ChatGPT 4.0 doing the summary?

2.0 (you flatter me)
dajo9
Great speech about the hate he hears in the state senate chamber
https://www.threads.net/@pamela.jean001/post/C5UcmszPCgK/?xmt=AQGznAsLcFw7XQm1hre-sQDnv-F_x483p325ZEiaHVLIMw
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.