Soundtrack for Social Distancing

72,123 Views | 1077 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by bearister
Cal88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
^Hey where is Stewart Copeland, the most famous Cal alumnus rock star ever?
bearister
Gram Parsons with the Byrds 1968:

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
going4roses
Don't know much about country music but I have never heard rehearsal takes on YouTube
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
bearister
Sweetheart of the Rodeo - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweetheart_of_the_Rodeo
Cal88
^ They got better afterwards with Clarence White, I'm a big fan of his.

prospeCt

bearister
Austin Butler sounds a lot more like Elvis than AI Elvis does.
bearister
bearister
bearister
Cal88
T G I F
Not just any effin F, but BIG GAME F!!!

I've got a gut feeling the Axe stays home

bearister
bearister
bearister
bearister

Cal88

bearister
prospeCt
~ post your score, if you dare . . .

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2023-opinion-google-ai-images-quiz/

bearister
7-10
I missed Monroe, Chaplin and Bonaparte.
prospeCt
~ 'Solid Attempt' at 7, try again, 2 nets you a 'Ooof', collect them all

bearister
going4roses
bearister said:

This song was in heavy rotation
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
bearister
FYC was a spin-off of The Beat aka The English Beat.

Cal88

https://www.formidablemag.com/more-1969/

bearister
Wow! You just taught a class there. I was a young teenager in the Bay Area during ground zero of Psychedelic Rock. I liked all your song postings. The bands I was familiar were Jefferson Airplane, Big Brother, Moby Grape, the Dead, Quicksilver, Iron Butterfly, and Strawberry Alarm Clock. I obviously overlooked a few.

Cal88
bearister said:

Wow! You just taught a class there. I was a young teenager in the Bay Area during ground zero of Psychedelic Rock. I liked all your song postings. The bands I was familiar were Jefferson Airplane, Big Brother, Moby Grape, the Dead, Quicksilver, Iron Butterfly, and Strawberry Alarm Clock. I obviously overlooked a few.

I'm pretty envious of you guys who grew up during that period, the quality and volume of music that came out between 1965-71 was phenomenal, the best of all time in terms of pop music (along with 1978-84, and to a lesser extent the early 2000s revival), I am a huge fan of the early psych genre, almost half of my ~110,000 song music library is from that era.

Part of the attraction is the sheer depth of the talent from that period, a lot of the very best material was made by bands that are virtually unknown, or a lot less known than the big names of the time, highly inspired teenagers getting together and putting out incredibly good music that never got too far commercially speaking, that got buried and forgotten.

...Until sometime around the early 2000s when high-speed internet became widespread, you had a lot of fans of early psychedelic music (as well as many other interesting niche genres) posting and exchanging rare material and exploring lost albums in interesting blogs, online playlists, indie labels and community/college radio shows (KPSU Portland St, WFMU in NY/NJ were particularly good). I spent a lot of time sifting through all this material, and did some live and community radio DJing that leaned heavily on that genre, along with other genres including early electronic, minimal/new wave, soundtracks, 65-75 American soul.

Nowadays you have more of this material online, spread by fans like the talented creator of the 4 videos above who does a great job pairing the music with vintage footage (like the first one which had scenes of the 1968 movie "More"), a good place to start exploring:

https://www.youtube.com/@heavenlyblueorange
bearister
Cal88 said:

bearister said:

I'm pretty envious of you guys who grew up during that period, the quality and volume of music that came out between 1965-71 was phenomenal, the best of all time in terms of pop music (along with 1978-84, and to a lesser extent the early 2000s revival), I am a huge fan of the early psych genre, almost half of my ~110,000 song music library is from that era.

Part of the attraction is the sheer depth of the talent from that period, a lot of the very best material was made by bands that are virtually unknown, or a lot less known than the big names of the time, highly inspired teenagers getting together and putting out incredibly good music that never got too far commercially speaking, that got buried and forgotten.

...Until sometime around the early 2000s when high-speed internet became widespread, you had a lot of fans of early psychedelic music (as well as many other interesting niche genres) posting and exchanging rare material and exploring lost albums in interesting blogs, online playlists, indie labels and community/college radio shows (KPSU Portland St, WFMU in NY/NJ were particularly good). I spent a lot of time sifting through all this material, and did some live and community radio DJing that leaned heavily on that genre, along with other genres including early electronic, minimal/new wave, soundtracks, 65-75 American soul.

Nowadays you have more of this material online, spread by fans like the talented creator of the 4 videos above who does a great job pairing the music with vintage footage (like the first one which had scenes of the 1968 movie "More"), a good place to start exploring:

Nice post. If this song doesn't make you think of smoking pot and moving to the music, you are beyond redemption. What a great beat:

Hearing that music made me think of this blond woman that stood right in front of the speakers of every Rock band that played at lower Sproul for free during Spring Quarter my entire time at Cal (1972-1976). I got these photos from my Cal Yearbook (they were taken at lower Sproul):

*She seemed a few years older than me so if she is still kicking she is in her 70's now.
I believe the terminology back then to describe the group she was probably a part of was "Street People."
Cal88
bearister said:

Cal88 said:

bearister said:

Nice post. If this song doesn't make you think of smoking pot and moving to the music, you are beyond redemption. What a great beat:

Hearing that music made me think of this blond woman that stood right in front of the speakers of every Rock band that played at lower Sproul for free during Spring Quarter my entire time at Cal (1972-1976). I got these photos from my Cal Yearbook (they were taken at lower Sproul):

*She seemed a few years older than me so if she is still kicking she is in her 70's now.
I believe the terminology back then to describe the group she was probably a part of was "Street People."

Nice, I think that lady became head of HR for Sun Microsystems in Santa Clara in 1992 (wouldn't surprise me if that were true, hehe).

Another good cover of that same Bo Didley song:

A few more early psych favorites:
from the same band above

from Holland, they sounded a whole lot like Bowie, years before Bowie:

Grungy midwestern garage '68

Houston TX

Quote:

The Red Krayola recorded The Parable of Arable Land which sold around 50,000 copies when it was first released. Pitchfork noted "listeners weren't sure whether the racket was the result of sharp intellectualism, sheer incompetence, or buzzed-out substance abuse." A retrospective review branded the Crayola's "stripped down simplicity and caustic lyrics" as a rarely acknowledged precursor to punk.

After the original pressing for The Parable of Arable Land sold out, promoters were attracted to the band and they were invited to perform in the Berkeley Folk Music Festival where instead of playing songs that they had written before, they generated feedback and drones via a guitar amp. The noise was so severe that band was accused of killing a dog due to sheer volume

London '67

Philips Academy prep school, '67:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rising_Storm

Fuzz monster from Japan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haruomi_Hosono

and back for a soft landing in the Bay:

bearister
Grade: A+
Big C
prospeCt said:

~ post your score, if you dare . . .

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2023-opinion-google-ai-images-quiz/

I got 9 out of 10 (missed Churchill), but only after I read the article, which gave tips on how to spot the fakes. Otherwise I was screwed. That article kind of freaked me out.
bearister

prospeCt
~ so much win-ing

from the comments, "
@dannyvocal
3 years ago (edited)
A lyric at the height of Jagger's creativity, and one of the strongest and most haunting musical moments in the Stones' work. The beautiful guitar was the inspiration of Mick Taylor, who actually left the band after it would not let him be included as a co-songwriter with Jagger-Richards for having so marked the song in all its specialness as a result of his guitar contributions. This is likely why it is never played live - only Mick Taylor can play it. This is a song about all the things that don't last - our beauty, our homes that meant so much to us while we lived in them, the fame so many work hard to achieve, and even each and every passing moment. All we really have is each other and our moments to relish the miracle of creation: "hours are like diamonds" if we would only realize this wealth in each passing moment and not squander this treasure as we seek trivial things of passing, relative, but not inherent or lasting value. In my view the greatest song of the Stones, and one of the greatest songs in rock"

bearister

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Taylor_(album)
Cal88
Before K-Pop, there was Kim Jung Mi

and Shin Joong Hyun, Korea's "Godfather of Rock."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2011/sep/15/shin-joong-hyun-korean-psychedelic

Brooklyn hipsters sing Kim Jung Mi

This one is for @KoreAmBear, or maybe his parents!

Cal88
Some rare, and awesome early garage from Africa:

Angola, 1968-69

Antananarivo, Madagascar 1970

Nicolas Kasanda aka Docteur Nico

The story of Africa's guitar god Dr. Nico, the Congolese innovator admired by Jimi Hendrix

Ecoute ma melodie - listen to the melody from Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou, Benin

The mystical funk of Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou

Introducing the masters of Zamrock from Zambia

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jul/05/witch-the-glory-and-tragedy-of-zambias-psych-rock-trailblazers

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.