Marv Levy, 97, at Bills game

2,917 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by VolunteerReverie
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
smh
ML snip from wikipedia esp for much younger bears..
> .. was announced as the new head coach of the Cal Bears on February 5, 1960. Despite selecting a young Bill Walsh as a coaching assistant, Levy's best record during his four-season tenure as head coach from 1960 to 1963 was 4-5-1.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marv_Levy#College_coaching
bearister
I thought he was fabulous in The Godfather when he woke up with that horse's head in his bed.

He did the same scream during games.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Dgoldnbaer
Marc is only coach in NFL history to have a Phd. Is pretty awesome he's here at 97! He was the Bear's HC when I saw my first Cal game - when Lee Blankney was rb, Larry Balliet was our qb ... And a guy named Morton was his back up!
BearBoarBlarney
Dgoldnbaer said:

Marc is only coach in NFL history to have a Phd. Is pretty awesome he's here at 97! He was the Bear's HC when I saw my first Cal game - when Lee Blankney was rb, Larry Balliet was our qb ... And a guy named Morton was his back up!

Did you just invent the idea of Marv Levy having a Ph.D.?

It was great to see the Buffalo crowd join Levy and Jim Kelly in that rousing "right here / right now" rendition.

Crazy to think that Marv went 8-29-3 at Cal. 0.238 winning percentage. I'll grant you that coaching at Berkeley in the early '60s was an uphill battle, but man, that winning percentage makes even Tom Holmoe (before the vacated wins) and Sonny Dykes look respectable.
KoreAmBear
Born same year as QE2?
okaydo
KoreAmBear said:

Born same year as QE2?
Levy: August 3, 1925

Queen: April 21, 1926
bearister
okaydo said:

KoreAmBear said:

Born same year as QE2?
Levy: August 3, 1925

Queen: April 21, 1926

Bears outlast Brits!
BearBoarBlarney
bearister said:

Bears outlast Brits!
This post sponsored by Sons & Daughters of the American Revolution
bearister
BearBoarBlarney said:

bearister said:

Bears outlast Brits!
This post sponsored by Sons & Daughters of the American Revolution

…and the Bobby Sands Foundation.

Dgoldnbaer
I'm 100% POSITIVE he's earned a Phd. If you doubt me, look it up!
BearBoarBlarney
Dgoldnbaer said:

I'm 100% POSITIVE he's earned a Phd. If you doubt me, look it up!
I think you got bad info on ol' Marv Levy. He earned a master's degree at Harvard.

Maybe your source on this info was your friend who lives next door to the Pac-12 CFO in Alamo?
Dgoldnbaer
My source on Levy earning a Phd is/was the NFL. Perhaps your search should go there. Or even to the Bills. And ... I'll hold you to the other issue - is something only time will tell. If it happens ... Will I hear from you? I certainly know I will if it doesn't!!
bearister
I tried to link Marv to a PhD but was unsuccessful EXCEPT…said claim was asserted in a 2010 BI post.

https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/34025/replies/588892
BearBoarBlarney
Dgoldnbaer said:

My source on Levy earning a Phd is/was the NFL. Perhaps your search should go there. Or even to the Bills. And ... I'll hold you to the other issue - is something only time will tell. If it happens ... Will I hear from you? I certainly know I will if it doesn't!!

As for the friend of the CFO / B1G claim, yes, time will tell, but it may be impossible to corroborate that earlier claim too.

P.S. My source just told me that Marv Levy was not part of the Apollo 11 mission either. You can't always trust uncited sources.
bearister
BearBoarBlarney said:

Dgoldnbaer said:

As for the friend of the CFO / B1G claim, yes, time will tell, but it may be impossible to corroborate that earlier claim too.

P.S. My source just told me that Marv Levy was not part of the Apollo 11 mission either. You can't always trust uncited sources.

But in addition to that horse's head scene he did in Godfather, didn't he play the guy with two left feet in Best in Show?

Dgoldnbaer
Ya know ... I'll be first to admit I could be dead wrong re; Levy ever obtaining a Phd. I was told he was a pre-law major but after googling his bio, I found nothing that indicated he earned a Phd. For this adamant claim of saying otherwise, please forgive your fellow golden bear. Looks like I'm going to have to go after ... track down the NFL source who told me!
BearBoarBlarney
Dgoldnbaer said:

Ya know ... I'll be first to admit I could be dead wrong re; Levy ever obtaining a Phd.
All good, man. It's not your fault that some of us have way too much time on our hands.

Now, I'd like to direct this next comment to @bearister, and it's a controversial take: I've always found the severed head of the thoroughbred under the director's bedcovers a very hard to believe scene. I mean, how on earth do you get a horse's head into a man's bed in the middle of the night without any disturbance? I guess alcohol helps, but I don't recall heavy alcohol consumption in the lead-up to said scene.
bearister
BearBoarBlarney said:

Dgoldnbaer said:

Ya know ... I'll be first to admit I could be dead wrong re; Levy ever obtaining a Phd.
All good, man. It's not your fault that some of us have way too much time on our hands.

Now, I'd like to direct this next comment to @bearister, and it's a controversial take: I've always found the severed head of the thoroughbred under the director's bedcovers a very hard to believe scene. I mean, how on earth do you get a horse's head into a man's bed in the middle of the night without any disturbance? I guess alcohol helps, but I don't recall heavy alcohol consumption in the lead-up to said scene.

Yes, you would probably have to borrow some GHB from Sebastian Janikowski and slip it in the guy's drink before horse head insertion.

Was the Horse Head in 'The Godfather' Based on a Real Event? | HowStuffWorks

https://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/horse-head-in-godfather-real-event.htm
TheFiatLux
Man, we should all hope at 97 we're as "on it" as Marv is here.

Re the Queen, even though she was 96, I think one of the reasons her death sort of took us by "surprise" is the ole gal was basically working until her last day. Two days before she died she was greeting the new PM. That's how to do it. Going out on top, still in the game.
LateHit
Bud Grant says, "You wore a sweatshirt? What a weakling!!"
(Maybe somebody knows how to post the picture of him in short sleeves doing the coin toss last season in 20 degree temperature.)

bearister
LateHit said:

(Maybe somebody knows how to post the picture of him in short sleeves doing the coin toss last season in 20 degree temperature.)

okaydo
LateHit said:

Wow, just found out Bud Grant is 3 months older than Marv Levy.
okaydo
TheFiatLux said:

Man, we should all hope at 97 we're as "on it" as Marv is here.

Re the Queen, even though she was 96, I think one of the reasons her death sort of took us by "surprise" is the ole gal was basically working until her last day. Two days before she died she was greeting the new PM. That's how to do it. Going out on top, still in the game.

Earlier this week, I watched this news report from the day before she died. People say it must be easy to be the monarch. And, yes, it's great to be rich. But you're still expected to do all this sh*t even when you're 96.

I was surprised by her death because 1) she was still actively working at 96 and 2) her mother was born in 1900 and died in 2002. So I expected her to at least make it to 100.

Given his bloddlines and his healthy lifestyle, I expect Charles to have a 20-25 year reign.

southseasbear
BearBoarBlarney said:

Dgoldnbaer said:

Did you just invent the idea of Marv Levy having a Ph.D.?

It was great to see the Buffalo crowd join Levy and Jim Kelly in that rousing "right here / right now" rendition.

Crazy to think that Marv went 8-29-3 at Cal. 0.238 winning percentage. I'll grant you that coaching at Berkeley in the early '60s was an uphill battle, but man, that winning percentage makes even Tom Holmoe (before the vacated wins) and Sonny Dykes look respectable.
His record improved each year. In his autobiography he says he believed the Golden Bears would have had a winning record the next year.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
BearBoarBlarney
southseasbear said:

His record improved each year. In his autobiography he says he believed the Golden Bears would have had a winning record the next year.

This is year by year improvement? Even by our lenient Cal football mediocrity standards, that's pushing it...

1960: 2-7-1
1961: 1-8-1
1962: 1-9-0
1963: 4-5-1

And in 1964, a little shindig called the Free Speech Movement was gonna be a major distraction for any coach. Ray Willsey went 3-7-0 in 1964, maybe Marv would've done better -- who knows?

All of us are rooting for ol' Marv -- it's awesome seeing him doing so great at age 97 and out there getting the Buffalo Bills fanbase all fired up, but the won-loss record would indicate he was the worst Cal coach in the modern era based on win percentage. (Holmoe later supplanted him, but only after 4 wins under Holmoe were vacated due to the Ainswoth/Davenport situation (a.k.a. Saragoza-gate).
southseasbear
BearBoarBlarney said:

southseasbear said:

This is year by year improvement? Even by our lenient Cal football mediocrity standards, that's pushing it...

And in 1964, a little shindig called the Free Speech Movement was gonna be a major distraction for any coach. Ray Willsey went 3-7-0 in 1964, maybe Marv would've done better -- who knows?

All of us are rooting for ol' Marv -- it's awesome seeing him doing so great at age 97 and out there getting the Buffalo Bills fanbase all fired up, but the won-loss record would indicate he was the worst Cal coach in the modern era based on win percentage. (Holmoe later supplanted him, but only after 4 wins under Holmoe were vacated due to the Ainswoth/Davenport situation (a.k.a. Saragoza-gate).

I'd say having as many wins in his 4th year as the previous 3 years combined signals something.

Marv Levy: An NFL Hall of Fame coach who apparently is not good enough for Cal.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
okaydo
BearBoarBlarney said:

southseasbear said:

The scores for his final season are interesting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1963_California_Golden_Bears_football_team
Grrrrah76
Marv is STILL waiting to see Cal in the Rose Bowl........
BearBoarBlarney
southseasbear said:

I'd say having as many wins in his 4th year as the previous 3 years combined signals something.

Marv Levy: An NFL Hall of Fame coach who apparently is not good enough for Cal.
Maybe it signals something, sure. But the initial claim was that Marv Levy's record improved year by year, so now you're moving the goalposts vis-a-vis the initial claim.

You are 100% correct that Marv Levy's 0.238 winning percentage was "not good enough for Cal," as it was the worst winning percentage of all time for any Cal head football coach who lasted more than 1 season.

Look, Marv was a great NFL head coach, no one argues with that. The man won more than 100 games in small-market Buffalo, so clearly he learned something along the way But he was downright terrible at Cal.
RichyBear
When Levy was at Cal he use to punt on 3RD down when Cal was 70 yards or more away from a TD. His reasoning was that if Cal made a first down they still had 70 yards for a TD, and that if they had a bad
snap they could try again on 4th down.
In Ray Wilsey's first year (1964) Cal lost 4 or 5 games by less than a TD. Cal missed upsetting #3 ranked Illinois (with Dick Butkus and Archie Sutton) because the ref said that Morton's Last minute TD pass to Jerry Bradley was not allowed because Bradley had a foot on the end line. Too bad no instant reply in those days.
Willsey had only 2 losing season's in 8 years at Cal, Today that would be 6 Bowl games.
One of the students favorite yells during Levy's last year t Cal was
'Coach Marv
Coach Marv
Coach Marv Lev (Leave)'
okaydo
Levy was trending upward toward the end of his Cal tenure. Unfortunately, he was the victim of cancel culture.
BearBoarBlarney
okaydo said:

Levy was trending upward toward the end of his Cal tenure. Unfortunately, he was the victim of cancel culture.

You very bad man, Jerry. Very bad man.
bearister
BearBoarBlarney said:

okaydo said:

You very bad man, Jerry. Very bad man.

VolunteerReverie
okaydo said:

1. He looks great for 97.
2. My Titans played like complete garbage that night.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.