New Field Design & Possible Branding Implications

6,282 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by LunchTime
Bearly Clad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe I'm just being hopeful but this could signal that the powers that be are ready to embrace our original and more powerful team branding:
The University of California
California
Cal

At the very least it means there's no current plan to re-brand athletics under the weaker Berkeley/Cal-Berkeley/UC Berkeley umbrella. Or I'm just reading too deeply into this and all it means is a new end zone and sideline design since the end zones already said "California" it was just previously in the block lettering. Regardless I'm a big fan of the gold end zones with the script California and the home sideline with "The University of California" stencil. As always the script Cal at centerfield is great, I wouldn't mind seeing the block 'C' there for the Joe Roth game and maybe the triple stripe in the end zones for that game at least but that might just be me
calumnus
Bearly Clad said:

Maybe I'm just being hopeful but this could signal that the powers that be are ready to embrace our original and more powerful team branding:
The University of California
California
Cal

At the very least it means there's no current plan to re-brand athletics under the weaker Berkeley/Cal-Berkeley/UC Berkeley umbrella. Or I'm just reading too deeply into this and all it means is a new end zone and sideline design since the end zones already said "California" it was just previously in the block lettering. Regardless I'm a big fan of the gold end zones with the script California and the home sideline with "The University of California" stencil. As always the script Cal at centerfield is great, I wouldn't mind seeing the block 'C' there for the Joe Roth game and maybe the triple stripe in the end zones for that game at least but that might just be me

I like that gold!
ColoradoBear
Script full 'California' is kinda hideous and on top of that out of proportion to the size of the endzone.

But good bye to UA and the Sather Stripe. Did we get a nice multi million dollar parting gift?
Cal_79
ColoradoBear said:

Script full 'California' is kinda hideous and on top of that out of proportion to the size of the endzone.

But good bye to UA and the Sather Stripe. Did we get a nice multi million dollar parting gift?

What makes script 'California' hideous and how is it out of proportion to the size of the end zone?
Bobodeluxe
The size is proportional to our scoring.
Strykur
Bobodeluxe said:

It looks good but why the inverted colors dammit.
ColoradoBear
Strykur said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Can we just go yellow on the entire field like Boise and wear yellow at home?
nwbear84
I'm with the original poster that perhaps this is a signal that California/Cal will remain as the identity of football. That said, I think the end zone lettering could have been larger.
Golden One
Looks great!
Bearly Clad
Strykur said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Just a guess but I think since the sideline is navy blue and the center logo is in gold that the look just had a better balance with a gold end zone and blue script Cal than vice versa
Bobodeluxe
I was hoping for a return to traditional Golden Basar.
bluehenbear
ODE BESAR!

(Anyone remember that?)
Bobodeluxe
bluehenbear said:

ODE BESAR!

(Anyone remember that?)
That's right.

When men were men.
GivemTheAxe
Cal_79 said:

ColoradoBear said:

What makes script 'California' hideous and how is it out of proportion to the size of the end zone?

Those were my first thoughts
But the more I looked at the design I have come to like the changes for some of the reasons stated by other posters

1. It keeps the traditional script "Cal" at the center of attention. And reaffirms our copyrighted name.

2. It keeps the name "California" clearly as our name not Berkeley or UC Berkeley

3. The script "California" and script "Cal" sticks it in the face of UCLA that the script Cal was OUR concept

4. The size of "California" could not have been made larger without using block letters. Otherwise the Script California would have looked out of proportion to the long rectangle that is the end zone. It could not have been made much larger without bumping into the the top border because of the capital "C".
It could not been made much longer without looking ridiculous.

5. The gold end zone:
A. takes some getting used to.
B But makes the blue California stand out.
C. Is kind of unique.
D. Allows us to think of "striking gold" each time we get a TD by on "entering the Gold Zone".
(Maybe Joe Starkey would let us use his catch phrase "what a bonanza" for some minimal agreed compensation.)

6. Finally, I like the use of the color gold not yellow.

GivemTheAxe
GivemTheAxe said:

Cal_79 said:

ColoradoBear said:

Those were my first thoughts
But the more I looked at the design I have come to like the changes for some of the reasons stated by other posters

1. It keeps the traditional script "Cal" at the center of attention. And reaffirms our copyrighted name.

2. It keeps the name "California" clearly as our name not Berkeley or UC Berkeley

3. The script "California" and script "Cal" sticks it in the face of UCLA that the script Cal was OUR concept

4. The size of "California" could not have been made larger without using block letters. Otherwise the Script California would have looked out of proportion to the long rectangle that is the end zone. It could not have been made much larger without bumping into the the top border because of the capital "C".
It could not been made much longer without looking ridiculous.

5. The gold end zone:
A. takes some getting used to.
B But makes the blue California stand out.
C. Is kind of unique.
D. Allows us to think of "striking gold" each time we get a TD by on "entering the Gold Zone".
(Maybe Joe Starkey would let us use his catch phrase "what a bonanza" for some minimal agreed compensation.)

6. Finally I like the use of the color gold not yellow.

7. I forgot to mention the "The University of California" stencil. I would prefer "THE University of California". But I will accept "The University of California"

matteye
ColoradoBear said:

And that's why you aren't a graphic designer...LOL
89Bear
They're putting a picture of Marshawn driving the golf cart between of and California...
ColoradoBear
89Bear said:

They're putting a picture of Marshawn driving the golf cart between of and California...

Or sliding the California to the left and adding Berkeley at the end.
ColoradoBear
matteye said:

ColoradoBear said:

And that's why you aren't a graphic designer...LOL

So you like slapping a stock logo down (one that has been around for a few decades, but was only prominently used by our former apparel provider UA) that isn't proportional to the size of the end zone?

Someone said this elsewhere, but maybe they will add something more to all that dead space.

I do like California in both endzones - seems more important to promote that than Golden Bears. (I also think the script golden bear logo used on our old uniforms is hideous).

Script Cal is beautiful and right sized for a circular or square sized space - like the center of field, a hat, or on a shirt. You don't see a lot of Script California shirts out there.

As for why I don't like script California, it looks very unbalanced with the f being particilularly weird, just like script Ucla looks unbalanced due to the order and height of the lowecase - script Cal is obviously not symmetrical, but does seems balanced with the lowercase 'L' being tall like the C.
sefton
Post game show late in 2023 season:

Pat Pawlowski: I've talked with most of the wide receivers and yes it seems some of the drops were due to the high contrast color change of the end zones.
Ever hopeful and it seems like forever.
WalterSobchak
ColoradoBear said:

So you like slapping a stock logo down (one that has been around for a few decades, but was only prominently used by our former apparel provider UA) that isn't proportional to the size of the end zone?
Yeah these were so much better:

Previous end zones with unnaturally expanded kerning:

Previous end zones with fills (and arguably unnaturally compressed kerning):

Hideous font with oversized characters:

The script California is traditional and beautiful. It can't be made bigger given the space constraints. End fills or not, this is a huge upgrade over what we've had.

Note that even the UA custom block end zones had end fills and they were larger than the areas for the script. The expanded kerning generic block characters and outlined characters are both hideous.

I'd love to see flag bears as fills, or flag bears and axes.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 10% of alumni to give $300 per year. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear

Thanks for reading my sig! Please consider copying or adapting it and using it on all of your posts too. Go Bears!
Boot
Screw the Yellow! How about some real Gold and real Grass.
91Cal
WalterSobchak said:

ColoradoBear said:

The script California is traditional and beautiful. It can't be made bigger given the space constraints. End fills or not, this is a huge upgrade over what we've had.

Note that even the UA custom block end zones had end fills and they were larger than the areas for the script. The expanded kerning generic block characters and outlined characters are both hideous.

I think the bear is best as it also aligns with our state flag…hello! Having the bear with a horizontal bar also in blue would be terrific but I would be happier with only the bear
Big C

Let's take back the name and own it:

B E R K E L E Y !

Golden One
Anyone know what type of artificial turf the new field is?
OneTopOneChickenApple
Strykur said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Agree. I would like the endzones blue with gold script. The gold endzones look a bit jarring and pop out a bit much.
Cal_79
OneTopOneChickenApple said:

Strykur said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Agree. I would like the endzones blue with gold script. The gold endzones look a bit jarring and pop out a bit much.

Perhaps being distinctive and "popping out" is by design. I like the look.
socaliganbear
Cal_79 said:

OneTopOneChickenApple said:

Strykur said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Perhaps being distinctive and "popping out" is by design. I like the look.

Same. It seems intentional.
Econ141
Big C said:

Let's take back the name and own it:

B E R K E L E Y !

Yes!
GivemTheAxe
WalterSobchak said:

ColoradoBear said:

By flag bears I assume you mean the walking bear on the California State flag.
If you do then I agree. That would be the only change I would want in the propose design. But only if that does not make the end zone too cluttered
76BearsFly
I like it; script Cal is us!!
GivemTheAxe
76BearsFly said:

I like it; script Cal is us!!

To me it appears that the people in charge have been reading the many posts on this Board.
1. Script Cal is us. CHECK
2. California vs Berkeley. CHECK
3. The University of California. CHECK
4. Gold vs Yellow. CHECK
4. Let's make a statement without going Boise State
wild. CHECK. (SOLID GOLD END ZONES.)

Now MicMen. Let's bring back some of the old cheers beginning with the CALIFORNIA Spell-out "C-A-L-I-F-O-R-NIA"
WalterSobchak
Yes exactly, this guy:

Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 10% of alumni to give $300 per year. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear

Thanks for reading my sig! Please consider copying or adapting it and using it on all of your posts too. Go Bears!
LunchTime
Cal_79 said:

ColoradoBear said:

Endzone large. Letters little.
Cal_79
LunchTime said:

Cal_79 said:

ColoradoBear said:

Endzone large. Letters little.

The graphic looks balanced to fit the dimensions of the endzone. What's your point?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.