Luckhurst

2,305 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by oskidunker
Goof Ball Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I haven't posted here in years, but I had a question that I have seen in other posts. Luckhurst is 3 of 9 on FGs. It seems like his misses are all from the right hash mark. He hasn't missed an extra point, which is from center and his three makes are from the left? Does anyone else see the same thing?
dimitrig
Goof Ball Bear said:

I haven't posted here in years, but I had a question that I have seen in other posts. Luckhurst is 3 of 9 on FGs. It seems like his misses are all from the right hash mark. He hasn't missed an extra point, which is from center and his three makes are from the left? Does anyone else see the same thing?

Dunno but he is 10-11 on XPs

KoreAmBear
dimitrig said:

Goof Ball Bear said:

Dunno but he is 10-11 on XPs

The one he missed was blocked
Goof Ball Bear
Yes. I forgot about the blocked XP. But if my assumption is correct and he's missing from the right hash mark, the coaches can fix that. I'm no expert but that seems simple enough...
Econ141
Goof Ball Bear said:

Yes. I forgot about the blocked XP. But if my assumption is correct and he's missing from the right hash mark, the coaches can fix that. I'm no expert but that seems simple enough...

You're overestimating our coaches unfortunately.
Goof Ball Bear
Oh yeah... forgot about that. They probably haven't even noticed. Good luck with that, eh?
IHouseBear
Watch #44 on the left side trying to block in the Auburn game and Idaho game. Misses his block every time. On the first field goal in the Idaho game, he was replaced by #83, resulting in a field goal right down the middle. Second field goal, #44 is back in blocking and the ball is to the right again. I don't understand why the coaches keep missing this.I think Luckhurst sees the defending coming out of the corner of this eye.
KoreAmBear
Goof Ball Bear said:

Yah not sure what the problem is with right hash whether he's overcompensating or has the yips or both. But we sure need it fixed as we head into conference play.

I know the P-12 is tough this year, but Wilcox needs to show that he can get some things done, like at least go 5-4 in-conference -- which would be kind of monumental considering the schedule, but he has to exceed expectations at some point. But stuff like this (where he is not decisive in fixing it and just lets it continue week after week) has hindered him from success in the past.
Cal Junkie
I don't want to pile on, but I am surprised that the kicking problem wasn't identified months ago. The coaches and team can't tear this young man down, but Luckhurst the kicker HAS to get better.
Goof Ball Bear
Yeah I'm thinking if he can't hit from the right hash whether it's the poor line blocking or he just can't get it done, maybe the backups can kick from there. I know Luckhurst has the big leg but that doesn't do much good if it ain't going through the uprights.
MilleniaBear
If he is missing the guy going outside then he is doing it right. For kick blocking you always block the inside guy. He might be setting up wrong with the spacing. The idea is that it takes so long to go AROUND the line that the kick should already be on the way before he gets there.

I swear I saw Luckhurst do the arm alignment thing wrong in one attempt. He appeared to point outside the posts and promptly kicked it outside the post....right to where he aligned. Could have been the angle of the camera of course.
DiabloWags
Cal Junkie said:

I don't want to pile on, but I am surprised that the kicking problem wasn't identified months ago. The coaches and team can't tear this young man down, but Luckhurst the kicker HAS to get better.

Good point.

We didnt even have a special teams coach last year.
Our special teams coach (Vic So'oto) is in his first year and has nothing on his resume that says that he knows anything about "special" teams, let alone the kicking game.
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
Rushinbear
Goof Ball Bear said:

Like fixing a hook? "You can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen." Trevino
bearister
During a lightening storm, Trevino stood holding a 1 iron over his head. When asked why he was doing that he replied:

"Because even God can't hit a 1 iron."

…but He can, however, hit a putter.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
dmh65
I like that Luckhurst got all of his missed field goals out of the way during our out of conference games, so that he could be perfect for Pac12 play. Go Bears!
KoreAmBear
dmh65 said:

I like that Luckhurst got all of his missed field goals out of the way during our out of conference games, so that he could be perfect for Pac12 play. Go Bears!
You win this year's Most Optimistic Cyberbear award. I think I three-peated in the past.
Rushinbear
KoreAmBear said:

Goof Ball Bear said:

Yah not sure what the problem is with right hash whether he's overcompensating or has the yips or both. But we sure need it fixed as we head into conference play.

I know the P-12 is tough this year, but Wilcox needs to show that he can get some things done, like at least go 5-4 in-conference -- which would be kind of monumental considering the schedule, but he has to exceed expectations at some point. But stuff like this (where he is not decisive in fixing it and just lets it continue week after week) has hindered him from success in the past.
Watching repeatedly, it looks like the whole play is a tad uncoordinated on his misses. Snap not crisp, hold a little tentative, slight yip on the approach. Does he see onrushers in the corner of his eye? Maybe. Is he keeping his head in there, not pulling up a little? I just think the whole play is off. He's got to learn to make micro-adjustments on the fly. Football doesn't allow for perfect everything, especially at the speeds of the P5 game.
CNHTH
He kicks off the top of his foot as opposed to soccer style which is why he can't kick from off center.
Surprised he was taught to kick this way given his dad
BearoutEast67
#44 is a great defense player, but defense players aren't known for their blocking. Maybe their holding from time to time if DBs, but not blocking.

I'm rooting for Luckhurst and hope its just a bit of nerves that work themselves out. Maybe set up several other players to heckle and throw things at him (e.g., old shoes, erasers, tomatoes) and play loud obnoxious music (disco?) while he practices his kicks.
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
BearHunter
Cal Junkie said:

Maybe the young man was nailing all his kicks in practice. Practice?
oski003
CNHTH said:

He kicks off the top of his foot as opposed to soccer style which is why he can't kick from off center.
Surprised he was taught to kick this way given his dad

I thought kickers kick with the top of their foot for power. You can't get that power from the side. Which NFL kickers connect with the ball from the side of their foot?
oskidunker
Didnt we lose the Big Game in 2020 due to a missed conversion? We have been having kicking problems for a long time. We still don't kick the ball out of the end zone in the second half of games. Is he tired?
Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.