Dick Butkus

1,799 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by lutheran44
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?

"Dick was an animal. I called him a maniac. A stone maniac. He was a well-conditioned animal, and every time he hit you, he tried to put you in the cemetery, not the hospital."

Deacon Jones, Pro Football Hall of Fame defensive end

Consistently cited as one of football's meanest, toughest, and most feared players, Butkus was renowned for his intimidating profile and style of play.[21][15] He was known to snarl at the opposition prior to plays.[55] Quarterbacks would complain of Butkus biting them in pileups.[56] Lions tight end Charlie Sanders recalled Butkus poking him in the eyes with his fingers through his face mask.[57] He once intercepted a pass from Vikings quarterback Fran Tarkenton near the goal line, and instead of taking the ball into the end zone for an easy touchdown, he took aim at Tarkenton to run him over.[6] When asked by a reporter if he was mean as the rumors suggested, Butkus replied, "I wouldn't ever go out to hurt anybody deliberately. Unless it was, you know, important like a league game or something."[58]
-Wikipedia
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearsandgiants
When your parents name you Dick Butt Kiss, you have to play football, and you have to play it like an animal.
Out Of The Past
In my junior under grad year, Cal played Illinois when Dick Butkus was then either a sophomore or a junior. There were jokes regarding whether he would be brought onto the field restrained by several ropes held by wild animal handlers, or would he walk on unleashed. The Cal quarter back was Craig Morton and Cal nearly won the game on a 4th quarter pass which was caught, but the back had one foot on the line. The Chron headline the next day said " A Size 6 Shoe Would Have Won It!", a loss by less than 6 points. Butkus was quoted in the daily Cal as having said in an interview (paraphrase) "I didn't go to college to become no doctor or no lawyer, I only want to play football, that's the only reason I am here. I want to hit people."
Dave75
I was also at that game. My father got comp tickets from an assistant coach who lived in our neighborhood. After the game, the coach said that Craig Morton had returned to the bench after a failed drive, reporting that Butkus, holding one of Morton's legs while a teammate had the other, had growled, "Make a wish."
pasadenaorbust
RIP fellow Bear...

That's Richie Petitbon getting KO'd by his own teammate near the end of the clip.
dimitrig

Larno
Dave75 said:

I was also at that game. My father got comp tickets from an assistant coach who lived in our neighborhood. After the game, the coach said that Craig Morton had returned to the bench after a failed drive, reporting that Butkus, holding one of Morton's legs while a teammate had the other, had growled, "Make a wish."

That was the very first Cal game I attended. I was 13 years old. The last second almost touchdown snatching defeat from the jaws of victory prepared me for 60 years of Cal football.

The story goes that when Butkus was in high school he was prohibited from scrimmaging with his team during the week as he would hurt too many players. A good story illustrating his toughness whether it is true or not.
okaydo

72CalBear
As a young high school linebacker at LB Wilson in l967, I really didn't know "how hard" or "mean" you could be playing that position. Watching Dick, I learned!!
bearister
Just looked up cast of Blue Thunder (TV series, not movie). James Farentino. Now that was one crazy mother f'er. I'm surprised Frank Sinatra didn't have him whacked or exiled (like when he banned Tommy Sands from the continental U.S. for almost 20 years).
OBear073akaSMFan
Out Of The Past said:

In my junior under grad year, Cal played Illinois when Dick Butkus was then either a sophomore or a junior. There were jokes regarding whether he would be brought onto the field restrained by several ropes held by wild animal handlers, or would he walk on unleashed. The Cal quarter back was Craig Morton and Cal nearly won the game on a 4th quarter pass which was caught, but the back had one foot on the line. The Chron headline the next day said " A Size 6 Shoe Would Have Won It!", a loss by less than 6 points. Butkus was quoted in the daily Cal as having said in an interview (paraphrase) "I didn't go to college to become no doctor or no lawyer, I only want to play football, that's the only reason I am here. I want to hit people."
This was one of my first Cal games I attended. Think I was still in jr high. Rip Mr. Butkus!
HearstMining
I was 10 years-old and was there with family friends. I also remember the "Size 6 shoe would have won it" headline. Certainly the most exciting Cal game I'd been to. Little did I know how many "close ones" I'd attend over the next 59 years
EDIT: Looking at the schedule for 1964, it's amazing how few conference games Cal played then. Also, those non-conference teams were the real deal. None of this Presbyterian or Portland St crap.
bearister
I have one Craig Morton story. About 20 years ago at work the receptionist buzzed my extension and said that I had a call from a Mr. Craig Morton.

I had a buddy, Tim, that used to give a fake name to the receptionist every time he called me. When I would take his call, I would initially play along with whatever fake name he gave.

When I accepted the call from Mr, Craig Morton, I assumed it was my buddy Tim. My first line when I answered the call was, "Hey, Craig, how you been? How's the arm? Can you still sling it 50 yards?"

A voice I had never heard before in my life replies, "My arm is the sh@its. I can't throw it 5 yards." I respond, "Holy sh@it, IS THIS REALLY CRAIG MORTON?"
Craig's response, "Yeah, I work for Cal and I wanted to see if you are going to renew your football season tickets. You must be old to even recognize my name (in my late 40's at the time)."

I was mortified. I explained to him that I assumed he was my buddy, Tim, and provided the history of our gag. After that, we spoke for 10 minutes. He could not have been a more gracious man.

lutheran44
That '64 Cal team went 3-7 and lost five games in the last two minutes. Illinois, Minnesota, USC, UCLA, Washington. Sigh.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.