Best programs of past 100 years

2,447 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by calumnus
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Must have been playing football at the highest level since 1923.

HearstMining
Without getting into the argument about whether either team deserves it, I'm pleasantly surprised that Cal made this list and UCLA did not.
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
IteUrsi
No Florida State
HearstMining
That's it! Being Jerry Mathers' alma mater must have been key to getting Cal on the list.
okaydo
HearstMining said:

Without getting into the argument about whether either team deserves it, I'm pleasantly surprised that Cal made this list and UCLA did not.

okaydo
IteUrsi said:

No Florida State

NWBear90
1923 was a hell of a year for Southern Branch Grizzlies https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1923_Southern_Branch_Grizzlies_football_team

They *did* manage to end the season playing in the Rose Bowl...against Caltech
bear2034
okaydo said:

What catches my eye is that UCLA, Miami, and Florida St. aren't on the list.
bearister
HearstMining said:

That's it! Being Jerry Mathers' alma mater must have been key to getting Cal on the list.

Not to mention the fact that the program was the gift that kept giving with regard to every Cal vs Oregon St. athletic competition.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
bear2034 said:

okaydo said:

What catches my eye is that UCLA, Miami, and Florida St. aren't on the list.

See my above posts.
calumnus
okaydo said:

And in another thread Memorial Stadium was ranked #29 as well….
RichyBear
If you only look at post 1960 you might say that Cal doesn't belong on the list. If you include pre 1960 yo can say that we DO BELONG on that list. If you go back to 1920 you can say "WE SHOULD BE HIGHER' on that list.

From 1920 to 1924 Cal was 44-0-4. In the 1920 Rose Bowl we beat Oho State 28-0. In the 1921 Rose Bowl Cal tied Washington and Jefferson 0-0. Because W&J had several 'Ringers' Cal refused to be in the next 2 Rose Bowls, even though they were the Best team in the West.

From 1935 to 1938 Cal was 35-7-1. In 1935 9-1. In 1936 (a down year) 6-5. I
In 1937 was 10-0-1. Cal was ranked #2 in the Nation before the Rose Bowl. In the Rose Bowl Cal beat #4 ranked Alabama 13-0. No Polls were taken after the Rose Bowl or WE might have been ranked #1 in the nation.
Cal was 10-1 in 1938.

From 1947 to 1952 Cal was 53-9. From 1948 to 1950 Cal was 29-3-1, and ranked in the nations top 5 each year. The bad news is we lost 3 Rose Bowls by close scores.
In 1948 Cal was 10-1, ranked #4, lost the Rose Bowl to North Western 14-20.
In 1949 Cal was 10-1, Ranked #3, lost the Rose Bowl to Ohio State 14-17.
In 1950 Cal was 9-1-1, Ranked #5, Lost the Rose Bowl to Michigan 0-14.
Big C
RichyBear said:

If you only look at post 1960 you might say that Cal doesn't belong on the list. If you include pre 1960 yo can say that we DO BELONG on that list. If you go back to 1920 you can say "WE SHOULD BE HIGHER' on that list.

From 1920 to 1924 Cal was 44-0-4. In the 1920 Rose Bowl we beat Oho State 28-0. In the 1921 Rose Bowl Cal tied Washington and Jefferson 0-0. Because W&J had several 'Ringers' Cal refused to be in the next 2 Rose Bowls, even though they were the Best team in the West.

From 1935 to 1938 Cal was 35-7-1. In 1935 9-1. In 1936 (a down year) 6-5. I
In 1937 was 10-0-1. Cal was ranked #2 in the Nation before the Rose Bowl. In the Rose Bowl Cal beat #4 ranked Alabama 13-0. No Polls were taken after the Rose Bowl or WE might have been ranked #1 in the nation.
Cal was 10-1 in 1938.

From 1947 to 1952 Cal was 53-9. From 1948 to 1950 Cal was 29-3-1, and ranked in the nations top 5 each year. The bad news is we lost 3 Rose Bowls by close scores.
In 1948 Cal was 10-1, ranked #4, lost the Rose Bowl to North Western 14-20.
In 1949 Cal was 10-1, Ranked #3, lost the Rose Bowl to Ohio State 14-17.
In 1950 Cal was 9-1-1, Ranked #5, Lost the Rose Bowl to Michigan 0-14.

As bad as this sounds, I sure wish Cal had lost a Rose Bowl at least once in the past 48 years.
Gobears49
HearstMining said:

Little brother didn't started playing serious football until several years after Cal did .

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/ucla/index.html
Gobears49
Great and lng article about Cal coach Andy Smith. Very few articles about him.

https://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2011/7/5/2206105/cals-greatest-football-coaches-1-andy-smith
DoubtfulBear
RichyBear said:

You can make the same debate about every sad rust belt town whose glory days are decades in the past
RichyBear
The ranking was for the best team over the last 100 years, not the best team in the 21st century. A great team in 1923 should have the same weight as a great team in 2023.
calumnus
RichyBear said:

The ranking was for the best team over the last 100 years, not the best team in the 21st century. A great team in 1923 should have the same weight as a great team in 2023.

Exactly. I understand if people think "Best teams over the last 100 years? All I care about is best teams over the last 20 (or 10, or current)" but the ranking is valid for what it purports to show.
SFCityBear
HearstMining said:

I don't know what the criteria is, but one of the best teams I ever saw was UCLA's 1965 team. They were led by eventual Heisman Trophy winner and Maxwell Trophy winner, Gary Beban, along with Mel Farr , a great running back who averaged 7 yards a carry, and Dick Witcher. They won the AAWU conference, with a record of 8-2-1, beating Cal 56-3 on the Rose Bowl field (a game I attended, unfortunately), and then beat #1 ranked Michigan State in the Rose Bowl. The ended up ranked #4. Coached by Tommy Prothro.
SFCityBear
prospeCt

HearstMining
SFCityBear said:

HearstMining said:

I don't know what the criteria is, but one of the best teams I ever saw was UCLA's 1965 team. They were led by eventual Heisman Trophy winner and Maxwell Trophy winner, Gary Beban, along with Mel Farr , a great running back who averaged 7 yards a carry, and Dick Witcher. They won the AAWU conference, with a record of 8-2-1, beating Cal 56-3 on the Rose Bowl field (a game I attended, unfortunately), and then beat #1 ranked Michigan State in the Rose Bowl. The ended up ranked #4. Coached by Tommy Prothro.
Yeah, even though I was only 11 years-old at the time, I was thinking of that team. Also the Vermeil team that tied Cal for the conference championship and won the 1976 Rose Bowl and the Donahue teams. Cal is fortunate that the evaluator went back as far as the 1920s in generating their list. Minnesota is another team that benefited from that extended time window.
SFCityBear
HearstMining said:

SFCityBear said:

HearstMining said:

Yeah, even though I was only 11 years-old at the time, I was thinking of that team. Also the Vermeil team that tied Cal for the conference championship and won the 1976 Rose Bowl and the Donahue teams. Cal is fortunate that the evaluator went back as far as the 1920s in generating their list. Minnesota is another team that benefited from that extended time window.
Yes, that was a tough blow in 1975, when Cal lost their chance to go the Rose Bowl on a tie-breaker rule. What a team, with Joe Roth, Chuck Muncie, Wesley Walker and Steve Rivera, and all the other great names I've forgotten. Has there ever been a better Cal team? 1937 for sure, but not many more.
SFCityBear
calumnus
SFCityBear said:

HearstMining said:

SFCityBear said:

HearstMining said:

Yes, that was a tough blow in 1975, when Cal lost their chance to go the Rose Bowl on a tie-breaker rule. What a team, with Joe Roth, Chuck Muncie, Wesley Walker and Steve Rivera, and all the other great names I've forgotten. Has there ever been a better Cal team? 1937 for sure, but not many more.

The 1975 team went 8-3 and finished ranked #14. According to Sports Reference it was our #15 team of all time. Great offense no doubt (#9 in scoring offense that year) but poor defense (#82 in scoring defense).

The best Cal teams of all time (according to the stats):

1. 1949 Waldorf 10-1 with a Rose Bowl loss finished #3 in the AP (#2 in computer ranking) #13 offense #22 defense

2. 2004 Tedford 10-2 with a Holiday Bowl loss finished #9 in the polls (#3 in computer ranking). #7 offense #8 defense

3. 1948 Waldorf 10-1 with a Rose Bowl loss finished #4 in the AP (#5 in computer ranking). #16 offense and #11 defense.

4. 1951 Waldorf 8-2 no bowl finished #12 in the AP (#7 in computer ranking). #11 offense and #47 defense.

5. 1991 Snyder 10-2 with a Citrus Bowl win finished #8 in the AP (#7 in computer ranking). #5 offense #37 defense

6. 1937 Allison team went 10-0-1 with a Rose Bowl win voted #2 (#3 in computer ranking) #17 offense and #6 defense.

Clearly 1937 was our best season.

Best teams since Pappy
1. 2004 Tedford 10-2
2. 1991 Snyder 10-2
3. 2006 Tedford 10-3
4. 1975 White 8-3
5. 1977 White 7-4
6. 1970 Willsey 6-5
7. 1968 Willsey 7-3-1
8. 2008 Tedford 9-4
9. 2002 Tedford 7-5
10. 1979 Theder 7-5
11. 1982 Kapp 7-4
12. 2003 Tedford 8-6
13. 2015 Dykes 8-5
14. 1974 White 7-3-1
15. 1993 Gilbertson 9-4
16. 1969 Willsey 5-5
17. 2005 Tedford 8-4
18. 1965 Willsey 5-5
19. 2007 Tedford 7-6
20. 1990 Snyder 7-4-1
HearstMining
Just curious - how did you determine your rankings? I'm particularly curious about how you slotted those Willsey teams. For me, that was 6th grade through HS during the grim, grey Willsey era. Mediocre teams with occasionally very strong defenses/players (Ed White, Sherman White, Weideman, Augustine). There were smallish crowds. End-zone seats were $1.00 and you could move around depending on the sun and where the field action was. In that respect, very similar to current games. It's when I really learned to be a Cal fan - holler your @ss off at the game, but understand you may walk home disappointed.
calumnus
HearstMining said:

Just curious - how did you determine your rankings? I'm particularly curious about how you slotted those Willsey teams. For me, that was 6th grade through HS during the grim, grey Willsey era. Mediocre teams with occasionally very strong defenses/players (Ed White, Sherman White, Weideman, Augustine). There were smallish crowds. End-zone seats were $1.00 and you could move around depending on the sun and where the field action was. In that respect, very similar to current games. It's when I really learned to be a Cal fan - holler your @ss off at the game, but understand you may walk home disappointed.

On SportsReference.com every Cal team in history gets a power ranking similar to Sagarin relative to the rest of college football for that year. The Willsey teams had winning records and competitive games playing in the best conference in the country.

Go here:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/california/index.html
Click on "SRS" to rank them
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.